Register to Comment
Page 2 of 89 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Like Tree505Likes

Quote Originally Posted by stopdoingstuff View Post
    I would imagine that the gay pass will kick in like with Takei.
    Since the story broke, I haven't seen a single person say he should get a pass because he's gay.

But I've seen several people claim that he will.

Funny, that.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    The "silence is notable"?

The story literally broke less than 24 hours ago. And I'll bet you this thread will run longer than any of the others.

But hey, have fun implying what we both know you're implying.
    In the current context, yes, it’s notable.

No better or quicker way to put any aggressor out of action.
    The harder you squeeze the more out of action.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    I'm sure that I've had my crotch grabbed by men and women, alike, over the years. Uninvited.

I guess context is everything...if it was in work I might have thought something of it, but it was on social occasions, so it didn't bother me.
    While I appreciate that you are talking about your own response, as a man reading your post, I could reasonably infer that it is Ok in a social setting to put my hand, uninvited, on a woman's intimate areas. A very dangerous precedent. I will, however, continue to keep my hands to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by borntorum View Post
    In the current context, yes, it’s notable.
    In the context of one guy who made public comments on Twitter and was taken to task for them, and another guy where the story about his actions was downplayed for ages before eventually being picked up.

Less than 24 hours after people starting hinting about this on Twitter he's been named in national media.

So maybe you're right. Maybe it is notable that if a gay man is accused of sexual assault it ends up in the public eye much quicker and is taken more seriously than when the victim is a woman.

Meanwhile, there's a female Irish comedian on Twitter who has been talking about how she was raped by an Irish comedian and we still don't know who that is...

Quote Originally Posted by Congalltee View Post
    I’d imagine Al Porter is speaking with his lawyers. Classifying a him as a sex pest is defamatory unless the publisher can prove it’s true. Touching a person’s buttocks may be “inappropriate” (a meaningless modern term, but it isn’t sexual harassment in most contexts (eg no position of authority, no repitition) and is far from being a “sex pest”.
    get real touching someones ass is no go unless they are on for it

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    In the context of one guy who made public comments on Twitter and was taken to task for them, and another guy where the story about his actions was downplayed for ages before eventually being picked up.

Less than 24 hours after people starting hinting about this on Twitter he's been named in national media.

So maybe you're right. Maybe it is notable that if a gay man is accused of sexual assault it ends up in the public eye much quicker and is taken more seriously than when the victim is a woman.

Meanwhile, there's a female Irish comedian on Twitter who has been talking about how she was raped by an Irish comedian and we still don't know who that is...
    Four people have publicly alleged they were groped by Porter, who is a well-known public figure. I would have thought that was a story worth reporting, but other than the Times, there appears to be no coverage in the Irish media.

You want to try and divert attention from this with whataboutery.

Over coffee and toast, Mrs N and I discussed the story in the Indo.
    Guess whose name came up. Too young, we thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Congalltee View Post
    I’d imagine Al Porter is speaking with his lawyers. Classifying a him as a sex pest is defamatory unless the publisher can prove it’s true. Touching a person’s buttocks may be “inappropriate” (a meaningless modern term, but it isn’t sexual harassment in most contexts (eg no position of authority, no repitition) and is far from being a “sex pest”.

Not talking about this case, but a 'sex pest' and a 'sexual harasser' are virtually synonyms.

Conor O’Toole, 26, who won the Spirit of Wit Award at this year’s Dublin Fringe Festival, said he was groped by Mr Porter in 2014 at the Ha’penny Bridge comedy club in Dublin.
    “I was sitting on the stairs backstage as comedians do and I was chatting away to Al and a few of the people,” he said. “I was sitting with my legs in the birthing position on the stairs and he grabbed my balls and I was like: ‘Hey, don’t f***ing do that.’ He stopped and that was it.

George Fox, 33, accused Mr Porter of groping him at a bar during an Inn Jokes comedy event at the Patriots Inn in Kilmainham, Dublin, in 2012.
    “We were doing a show and that was the first time,” he said. “He walked up to the bar to say hello and grabbed me by the crotch. I said not to do it and laughed like it was a hilarious joke but made it very clear that it wasn’t.”
    Mr Fox said he saw the comedian again in March 2014 in a Dublin bar when he was with his girlfriend. “She said that’s the guy from the panto,” he said. “He walked over and saw me and saw my arm was around her and he put his hand straight down and put it on my penis and said: ‘How come you don’t get hard for me?’ ”

Page 2 of 89 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment