Register to Comment
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Something is wrong on the internet.

I came across a good article on this.

https://medium.com/@jamesbridle/some...t-c39c471271d2

This particular article particularly focuses on content aimed at young children. At least it uses this case to try and communicate something.

Then towards the end of the article the writer says:

"... What concerns me is not just the violence being done to children here, although that concerns me deeply. What concerns me is that this is just one aspect of a kind of infrastructural violence being done to all of us, all of the time, and we’re still struggling to find a way to even talk about it, to describe its mechanisms and its actions and its effects..."

So this thread, perhaps, might look at the part I bolded above. - What are these "mechanisms, actions and effects"? Can we try and articulate and expound on them??

To get the thread going, perhaps I might start with my own observation of how so called "opinion" has become so massively polarised on the internet. - I ask myself why is this - and it seems to me that at the nub of it is that many people easily become attached to a mental image or "pseudo-environment" of events they have not experienced... and then they proceed to attach emotions to those pseudo environment mental images.

Invariably, this mental image is simplistic, and does not account for the real complexity - such as history, context, intents and motives involved, actual multi-fold causes and effects, and so on - that all go to make up the actual reality underlying their mental image.

Of course their mental image is only a vague, distorted reflection of the reality - but in most cases they seem to be unaware of this.

The thing is though, with that mental image then often comes a base sentimentality (I mean by sentimentality the ostentatious parading of excessive and spurious emotion.). And on this I have come to quite agree with the brilliant black social critic James Baldwin who once said, "... The wet eyes of the sentimentalist betray his aversion to experience, his fear of life, his arid heart; and it is always, therefore, the signal of secret and violent inhumanity, the mark of cruelty...”.

Anyway, that is just one thing. There's more going on. No doubt the rise again of actual state propaganda, utilising all the old techniques is a driver. But there are other important drivers. Can we try and talk about it? As the writer of the above article said, "we’re still struggling to find a way to even talk about it...". So anyone want to have a try on this thread?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

In short people don't think. Of those that do think, a huge proportion come to the wrong conclusions. See p.ie for further details.

Quote Originally Posted by hollandia View Post
    In short people don't think. Of those that do think, a huge proportion come to the wrong conclusions. See p.ie for further details.
    Often they spend so much time perusing and reading stuff on the internet, such as the "analysis" of others, they don't leave themselves any time or space to really think for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by roc_ View Post
    Perhaps often they spend so much time reading stuff on the internet they don't leave themselves any time or space to really think
    I doubt very much that that is the problem. The problem is they don't think. Full stop. There is no capacity for critical analysis. There is also an entrenching of views, that limits the possibility of critical analysis. From personal experience as an example, there have been two or three things mentioned on this site that I have witnessed in person occurring that have "not happened" or "you're not telling the whole truth about that". Go figure.

Confirmation bias is writ large across the internet, and it is being exploited in ever greater volume. People need to think.

Just to say as well, no doubt, the content aimed at children described in the article is frightening, and in a certain important manner, sinister. But as the parents of these children, I think it is important that we get our own house in order first, to better appreciate the challenges involved.

I started the following thread and it was zooed.

I am permanently banned from starting threads.

'Basic question of attitude
    Are the people who run politics.ie more influenced by the ethic of love of neighbour or are they more inclined to follow the motivation that arrogance and contempt will get you everywhere?'

Is that telling us anything?

Quote Originally Posted by hollandia View Post
    In all fairness p.ie proves your first point as well.

Tbh think this is a lot more pronounced in the States than Ireland. One of the more insidious trends of the past decade or so has been the willingness of public broadcasters to defame those from the other side in partisan attacks. Referring to people who disagree with your politics as 'libtards' or the like is poisonous to democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by shiel View Post
    I started the following thread and it was zooed.

I am permanently banned from starting threads.

'Basic question of attitude
    Are the people who run politics.ie more influenced by the ethic of love of neighbour or are they more inclined to follow the motivation that arrogance and contempt will get you everywhere?'

Is that telling us anything?
    Your posts are telling us a lot about you.

Quote Originally Posted by Betson View Post
    Your posts are telling us a lot about you.
    I know.

I really should shut up but I can't.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment