Register to Comment
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Quote Originally Posted by shiel View Post
    I know.

I really should shut up but I can't.
    Ah I would not tell you to shut up , but you can certainly be repetitive at times about certain things. I am sure you are not a bad chap/Chapess underneath it all , we are all a bit crazy , the key is not to let the crazy side take over completely.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Betson View Post
    Ah I would not tell you to shut up , but you can certainly be repetitive at times about certain things. I am sure you are not a bad chap/Chapess underneath it all , we are all a bit crazy , the key is not to let the crazy side take over completely.
    I know.

But this site would close down if all of us took that advice.

Quote Originally Posted by roc_ View Post

To get the thread going, perhaps I might start with my own observation of how so called "opinion" has become so massively polarised on the internet. - I ask myself why is this - and it seems to me that at the nub of it is that many people easily become attached to a mental image or "pseudo-environment" of events they have not experienced... and then they proceed to attach emotions to those pseudo environment mental images.

Opinion has always been polarised.
    But the media controlled what was reported.
    Why do you think the likes of Murdoch are so powerful ?

When presidents and prime ministers are meeting Murdoch, it is they who are meeting him.
    Not the other way around.

Papers are propaganda. Simple as.
    How do you think the institutions of state and church held onto power without challenge for so long.
    The message was strictly controlled from top to bottom.
    No public dissent was permitted.

The internet has thrown a hand grenade into this cozy controling cartel.
    And thank God for it.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_anderson View Post
    Opinion has always been polarised.
    But the media controlled what was reported.
    Why do you think the likes of Murdoch are so powerful ?

When presidents and prime ministers are meeting Murdoch, it is they who are meeting him.
    Not the other way around.

Papers are propaganda. Simple as.
    How do you think the institutions of state and church held onto power without challenge for so long.
    The message was strictly controlled from top to bottom.
    No public dissent was permitted.

The internet has thrown a hand grenade into this cozy controling cartel.
    And thank God for it.
    NO

The cosy cartel has just got smaller in number and has got a lot more powerful.

We wouldn't know a fraction of what's happening in the world without the internet and for that we must be grateful, the msm propaganda machine is thankfully a thing of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
    We wouldn't know a fraction of what's happening in the world without the internet and for that we must be grateful, the msm propaganda machine is thankfully a thing of the past.
    NO.

The msm propaganda machine has just morphed into the internet propaganda machine and got a lot bigger and even more arrogant and intolerant.

I came across a good article on this.

https://medium.com/@jamesbridle/some...t-c39c471271d2

This particular article particularly focuses on content aimed at young children. At least it uses this case to try and communicate something.

Then towards the end of the article the writer says:

"... What concerns me is not just the violence being done to children here, although that concerns me deeply. What concerns me is that this is just one aspect of a kind of infrastructural violence being done to all of us, all of the time, and we’re still struggling to find a way to even talk about it, to describe its mechanisms and its actions and its effects..."

So this thread, perhaps, might look at the part I bolded above. - What are these "mechanisms, actions and effects"? Can we try and articulate and expound on them??

To get the thread going, perhaps I might start with my own observation of how so called "opinion" has become so massively polarised on the internet. - I ask myself why is this - and it seems to me that at the nub of it is that many people easily become attached to a mental image or "pseudo-environment" of events they have not experienced... and then they proceed to attach emotions to those pseudo environment mental images.

Invariably, this mental image is simplistic, and does not account for the real complexity - such as history, context, intents and motives involved, actual multi-fold causes and effects, and so on - that all go to make up the actual reality underlying their mental image.

Of course their mental image is only a vague, distorted reflection of the reality - but in most cases they seem to be unaware of this.

The thing is though, with that mental image then often comes a base sentimentality (I mean by sentimentality the ostentatious parading of excessive and spurious emotion.). And on this I have come to quite agree with the brilliant black social critic James Baldwin who once said, "... The wet eyes of the sentimentalist betray his aversion to experience, his fear of life, his arid heart; and it is always, therefore, the signal of secret and violent inhumanity, the mark of cruelty...”.

Anyway, that is just one thing. There's more going on. No doubt the rise again of actual state propaganda, utilising all the old techniques is a driver. But there are other important drivers. Can we try and talk about it? As the writer of the above article said, "we’re still struggling to find a way to even talk about it...". So anyone want to have a try on this thread?

This you might find interesting: Marion Finucane's interview with Stephen Fry last week. He spoke of how we are living in a world of outrage when we use the internet. He might have had Twitter in mind or Facebook. Course he's a public persona.
    Anyway I hope this Podcast helps:
    RTÉ Radio Player

I came across a good article on this.

https://medium.com/@jamesbridle/some...t-c39c471271d2

This particular article particularly focuses on content aimed at young children. At least it uses this case to try and communicate something.

Then towards the end of the article the writer says:

"... What concerns me is not just the violence being done to children here, although that concerns me deeply. What concerns me is that this is just one aspect of a kind of infrastructural violence being done to all of us, all of the time, and we’re still struggling to find a way to even talk about it, to describe its mechanisms and its actions and its effects..."

So this thread, perhaps, might look at the part I bolded above. - What are these "mechanisms, actions and effects"? Can we try and articulate and expound on them??

Invariably, this mental image is simplistic, and does not account for the real complexity - such as history, context, intents and motives involved, actual multi-fold causes and effects, and so on - that all go to make up the actual reality underlying their mental image.

Of course their mental image is only a vague, distorted reflection of the reality - but in most cases they seem to be unaware of this.

The thing is though, with that mental image then often comes a base sentimentality (I mean by sentimentality the ostentatious parading of excessive and spurious emotion.). And on this I have come to quite agree with the brilliant black social critic James Baldwin who once said, "... The wet eyes of the sentimentalist betray his aversion to experience, his fear of life, his arid heart; and it is always, therefore, the signal of secret and violent inhumanity, the mark of cruelty...”.

Anyway, that is just one thing. There's more going on. No doubt the rise again of actual state propaganda, utilising all the old techniques is a driver. But there are other important drivers. Can we try and talk about it? As the writer of the above article said, "we’re still struggling to find a way to even talk about it...". So anyone want to have a try on this thread?
    Good OP.

I wasn't aware of the popularity of these kiddie videos and I appreciate the concern about their content - but I agree with the point that we are all (not just the toddlers) being exposed to an unprecedented deluge of 'information' of dubious value, some of it quite deliberately targeted by vested interests.

Whoever controls the online message is now in a position to sway (or reinforce) the opinion of the masses - it would be foolish to think that this is not the focus of power-brokers worldwide.

I don't know how to address this however, as stupid people like to have their views reinforced - particularly racists imo - and P.ie is living proof of how the cancer grows and kills its host.

I know.

I really should shut up but I can't
    It's developing self-awareness!

Don't worry shiel, the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

Though I hate to say I told you so - I did. I told you to shut up months ago but you wouldn't even admit you should at that stage.

I am glad to see you acknowledging I was right all along.

God speed!

I know.

But this site would close down if all of us took that advice.
    No shiel. Just you.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment