Register to Comment
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Of Newgrange View Post
    if true, its another reason we all need to talk about booze. Sean had a beautiful mind, tragically snatched away from us before his time.
    We are all talking about booze.................and mental health and obesity. Some people drink and it messes them up, some people drive and get themselves killed. I don't think we should ban drink or cars. The ironic tragedy is that some of the brightest people out there are the ones that hurt themselves the most with drink and drugs. White western rock stars abused drink and drugs throughout the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s and since they cleaned up their act the quality of music has been shíte. Some people aren't designed to be in bed by 10pm every night and taking everything in moderation, those people are often the ones with the most colourful lives. Sean Hughes often hinted that he didn't want a long live, I hope that he got to live the life he wanted:

In a 2014 interview with the Irish Times, the funnyman described how his life of "extreme" hedonism had taken its toll on his body - and how he would hate to grow too old.

"The dream is that, one day, people will live forever," he told the publication.

"Well, I don't want to live forever. I can think of nothing worse. I'm aiming for 75 to 80. I don't want to be in a nursing home aged 120, and the nurse coming over and saying: 'Are you enjoying your 120th birthday, Mr Hughes? Blink if you are'.

"How many blinks for 'turn off this machine'? And who is Mr Hughes?"
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrit...edian-11350209
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by flavirostris View Post
    Remember him in the Commitments.
    Yeah. Eejit Records. Brilliant.

Went to see him once in stand up. He was excellent.

A tremendous talent. Thus rarely seen on R.T.E

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned democrat View Post
    Never really got his sense of humour, to be honest...like a lot of "Irish" comedians he traded on the vaguest sense of being an inbetweener
    What do you mean by “Irish” ?

Twitter
    @

Plenty on YouTube to get a good laugh from a good irish guy. He was an original taste in comedy. RIP.

Never rated him highly. He was a bit too grumpy for my liking. He also came across as quite bitter about the success of other comedians. I remember, in one case, he was quite scathing about Bob Hope saying Hope wasn't a comedian because he didn't write his own jokes. If we'd held others to that standard there's have been no Rock 'n' Roll as we know it because Elvis never wrote his own songs either. I found Sean Hughes to be a whinger and a bore

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned democrat View Post
    Never really got his sense of humour, to be honest...like a lot of "Irish" comedians he traded on the vaguest sense of being an inbetweener
    What do you mean by this?

I saw him in the Mick Lally Theatre in Galway there a few years back. He was very dry and funny. A few young lads heckled him, the eejits. His humour was lost on the millennials. Afterwards he signed a book for us, and he was a perfect gentleman. Full of sadness though, I thought. Vale Sean. You went too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Chaim View Post
    Never rated him highly. He was a bit too grumpy for my liking. He also came across as quite bitter about the success of other comedians. I remember, in one case, he was quite scathing about Bob Hope saying Hope wasn't a comedian because he didn't write his own jokes. If we'd held others to that standard there's have been no Rock 'n' Roll as we know it because Elvis never wrote his own songs either. I found Sean Hughes to be a whinger and a bore
    Well. You can piss off.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Chaim View Post
    I'm sure it's of some comfort to him that his untimely death comes as a relief to you .

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment