Register to Comment
Page 1 of 101 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree330Likes

Irelands RWC 2023 Host Bid

I haven't seen a specific thread on this, despite searching, but please merge if there is one and I have put it in Cand C because it transcends sport!
    But today is an important milestone as our high powered team including Leo, Phil Browne of The IRFU, The GAA President and Garda Niamh Briggs and of course BOD, are making a 30 minute presentation to The Rugby World Council with a Q and afterwards.
    Apparently it has been strongly emphasised that it is an All Ireland bid, the stadia (thanks to The GAA in no small way) will be ready and it will be backed by over 200 Million.
    My understanding is that for all sorts of reasons, our competitors, France and South Africa in rugby terms are in deep shyte and both have already hosted it.
    Apparently, Young Macron, won't be turning up for their bid!
    This is the biggest event we could hold on our own so let's be having it!
    The decision is taken in November.
    Boner and ex Blackrock Boy, Bob The Gob have sent messages to the decision makers to support the bid also!
    I suppose the major risk is Dickie Spring is the bid chairperson!

Rugby World Cup: Ireland submits bid for 2023 tournament - BBC Sport

Theresa May has backed Ireland's bid to host the Rugby World Cup

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2017/...-cup-2023-bid/

Ireland 2023 | Home

Part of the pitch -

Ireland 2023 will capture the imagination of the world. We promise to stage a Rugby World Cup full of Irish spirit and commercial success, that will help drive rugby's global momentum.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Apparently France are willing to pay as much as they can to get the tournament i cant see us matching their bid.

I don't have a ball sports bone in my body, but this could be great for the country if the 200m has been worked out as something we'd recoup as a nation through hosting the event. I hope they've factored in that I and others like me may need special medical cards for the duration though, for the raging acute pains in the hoop we'll be getting from an overdose of rugby if we do swing the bid.

This promotion video looks more like a party political broadcast for FG and Shane Ross than a bid for the RWC. Varadkar is featured on it more than Brian O'Drisscoll or the IRFU President !!

Quote Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
    Apparently France are willing to pay as much as they can to get the tournament i cant see us matching their bid.
    They are using the son of a dead man to tearfully bring back the tournament after hosting it only in 2007. They are the least favourite to win and rightly so. Most countries hate South Africa and is miles away to travel. Ireland will win.

Are we merging the bid with Scotland? I think that would be more palatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    1. Are we merging the bid with Scotland?2. I think that would be more palatable.
    1.No
    2. Why do you say that ?

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    They are using the son of a dead man to tearfully bring back the tournament after hosting it only in 2007. They are the least favourite to win and rightly so. Most countries hate South Africa and is miles away to travel. Ireland will win.
    We will never get to host the football world cup or Olympic games so this is our best chance to hosting a major sports tournament its only a pity it has to be rugby and not football.

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Are we merging the bid with Scotland? I think that would be more palatable.
    While I hope we get it

- would not making a joint bid with Scotland and Wales not carry more Clout?

Page 1 of 101 1231151 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment