Register to Comment
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree148Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Mac View Post
    The furriner is tight with the money and they can't hold more than 9 pints.

Sad, bigly.
    Incredibly, they seem to have got the idea that it encourages binge drinking.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Fractional Reserve View Post
    baptism is not a barrier more spin
    FG and FF exist because they are the political parties that people vote for .
    A requirement that a local child be baptised to ensure entry to a state funded school certainly is a barrier to that child.

A clued in foreigner if asking why FG and ff both exist, will already be aware that they are political parties and that half the population votes for them. What a foreigner may find baffling, bonkers and bewildering is that a small country can have two right of centre Christian democratic parties, which have each had financial scandals, massively increased national debt, and that one can lead the government, while the other leads the opposition. (The confidence and supply arrangement would not be unheard of in many European countries).
    Last edited by Congalltee; 12th August 2017 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Congalltee View Post
    1) a first world health system, but a 3rd world A&E system to get into it.
    2) rent inflation, poor tenant rights, obsession about ownership
    3) baptism barrier in schools.
    4) Good Friday drinking ban.
    5) having a homelessness crisis with over 250,000 empty properties.
    6) that thevirush language is the first official language but it is rarely heard in a natural setting outside of a few small areas
    7) why FG and FF both exist.
    8) That we didn't riot or hold a national strike during savage cuts to public services from Lenihan/Noonan and that we're now blasé about not collecting Apple money.

[please add, elaborate, [don"t] tell them to go back home if they don't like it, suggest improvements etc]
    None of these are particularly unique to Ireland. No. 3 is as already mentioned, just a lot of spin.

However some people believe that Irish society has a strange fascination with death, as this Scotswoman explained:

One side of Irish life that hasn't changed, and the reason she reckons she is so widely known, is the social fixation with death. It brings forth the broad smile again, and suddenly her Glaswegian accent sounds even more pronounced.

'HOW MANY FUNERALS have I been to in my life? You go to people that you know really well. Member of the family, yes, you'll go to that one. Maybe a colleague, out of respect. But you don't go to every dog in the street," she say, incredulous now. "What's this fascination? It's true, if they haven't been to a removal in a week, it's a bad week. Obituaries! The fact that even the radio programmes list the dead! What is wrong with them?"
    "You don't have to know them, you just have to know it's a funeral. It's amazing in this country, the fascination with death. Add any excitement to that, any bit of mystery, anything a bit out of the ordinary, and they'll be there in their droves. It's phenomenal. Incredible."
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/deat...ands-1.1031035

So many people think they are alt-right Americans and speak accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordie Northsider View Post
    Incredibly, they seem to have got the idea that it encourages binge drinking.
    I believe our relationship with alcohol, for example refusal to believe that its "going out" if don't have 8 pints minimum (were you out last night? Nah just had the four!), is baffling in the extreme especially to anyone not from Northern Europe.

Also our peculiar attitude to mental health i.e. mental illness/syndromes / conditions don't really exist and are just fabrications of the sufferer must puzzle folk from more advanced and enlightened societies.

Quote Originally Posted by Socratus O' Pericles View Post
    So many people think they are alt-right Americans and speak accordingly.
    Uh no they don't. That is really crazy talk.

I've just finished a book which dealt with ;-
    1) cuts to the police forces leading to bad crime resolution stats
    2) an over stretched health system
    3) urban pollution
    4) immigrant ghettos being created despite efforts to prevent this
    5) hostility to immigrants
    6) public anger at the behaviour of banks and bankers
    7) unemployed people unable to find employment or likely to…….

……..and so on and so on.

It was set in Sweden.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritzbox View Post

However some people believe that Irish society has a strange fascination with death, as this Scotswoman explained:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/deat...ands-1.1031035

I don't recognise that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Congalltee View Post
    1) a first world health system, but a 3rd world A&E system to get into it.
    2) rent inflation, poor tenant rights, obsession about ownership
    3) baptism barrier in schools.
    4) Good Friday drinking ban.
    5) having a homelessness crisis with over 250,000 empty properties.
    6) that thevirush language is the first official language but it is rarely heard in a natural setting outside of a few small areas
    7) why FG and FF both exist.
    8) That we didn't riot or hold a national strike during savage cuts to public services from Lenihan/Noonan and that we're now blasé about not collecting Apple money.

[please add, elaborate, [don"t] tell them to go back home if they don't like it, suggest improvements etc]
    Don't know if I count as a foreigner but more and more I am starting to think of myself as one. Grew up in the UK and have lived here more than half my life, family of origin Irish, Irish passport BUT that pesky English accent means I am always interrogated (and that is really what it feels like).

I find it especially difficult when I go into a new work situation or meet new colleagues, people always think they're being friendly but I find it really obtrusive. I've noticed it with newly arrived non nationals as well. Not all are uncomfortable with it but some are.

I think it is because even now with all the changes in Irish society in the past twenty years that the underlying behaviour hasn't really caught up. We are still very parochial, "where do you live, which street, do ye know x,y,z?"

That's fine when you live in a homogenous society where everyone is the same, has pretty much the same education, the same cultural references, the same family complexion.

I know it's a natural reaction, when we meet new people we want to know a bit about them, find out who we're dealing with but sometimes people have things they'd rather not talk about for reasons they shouldn't have to explain. There's a sort of a lack of understanding of this and a lack of respecting other people's privacy and right to privacy.

And it's funny because ironically the media in Ireland is far more respectful of the rights of its citizens, particularly public representatives than the media in the UK, it's just that it doesn't seem to extend to ordinary everyday people respecting each other in this way.

So that would be my suggestion, learn to be a bit more circumspect, don't assume the right to ask people personal questions and realise that questions about family or marital status etc. are personal questions.

Quote Originally Posted by former wesleyan View Post
    I've just finished a book which dealt with ;-
    1) cuts to the police forces leading to bad crime resolution stats
    2) an over stretched health system
    3) urban pollution
    4) immigrant ghettos being created despite efforts to prevent this
    5) hostility to immigrants
    6) public anger at the behaviour of banks and bankers
    7) unemployed people unable to find employment or likely to…….

……..and so on and so on.

It was set in Sweden.
    They are so general, that could be set in Spain, Portugal, Greece. Fianna Fáil, Good Friday drinking ban and baptism barrier are not so universal.
    Last edited by Congalltee; 12th August 2017 at 12:55 PM.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment