Register to Comment
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 240
Like Tree160Likes
  1. #1
    parentheses parentheses is offline
    parentheses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    12,051

    Leo Varadkar is a symptom of a deeply insecure country

    Fairly excoriating article about our new Taoiseach. However it seems she regards Varadkar as really only a manifestation of the low self esteem and shaky sense of identity of the collective Irish nation.


    Instead, with a ************************-eating ingratiating grin, he launched into a frankly deranged ode to a Richard Curtis film.
    But largely it's how familiar the whole miserable dynamic is: the Irish politician doing some half-hearted clowning for his perceived betters, desperate as a bullied kid to just be liked no matter what it takes.
    Ireland, despite its fierce nationalism, is barely capable of conceiving of itself as a country.
    The longer Ireland continues in this way, allowing ourselves to exist as an embodiment of other nations' projections, the less real we eventually will become materially, clapping and jigging and gee-whiz-begorrah-ing our way into a state of perpetual objectification.
    https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/d...d-irish-people
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #2
    greengoose2 greengoose2 is online now
    greengoose2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    28,266

    Leo will consult with Regina. She know how to deal with critics!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #3
    Congalltee Congalltee is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,122

    Crap OP, self loathing and shallow. Very Irish.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #4
    ionsniffer ionsniffer is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    6,045

    How many roles has Leo failed in at this stage?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #5
    Spanner Island Spanner Island is offline
    Spanner Island's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    19,980

    Quote Originally Posted by parentheses View Post
    Fairly excoriating article about our new Taoiseach. However it seems she regards Varadkar as really only a manifestation of the low self esteem and shaky sense of identity of the collective Irish nation.

    https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/d...d-irish-people
    Megan sounds like a bit of a self loathing chip on her shoulder tool tbh...

    She probably doesn't even see it in herself either... when looking at herself in the mirror...
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #6
    Clanrickard Clanrickard is offline
    Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    38,960

    Quote Originally Posted by parentheses View Post
    Fairly excoriating article about our new Taoiseach. However it seems she regards Varadkar as really only a manifestation of the low self esteem and shaky sense of identity of the collective Irish nation.
    https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/d...d-irish-people
    If there is any self loathing here it is the witless woman who wrote this article. Another soft left right on analysis of the crash that is total and utter BS.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #7
    Man or Mouse Man or Mouse is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,814

    Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    If there is any self loathing here it is the witless woman who wrote this article. Another soft left right on analysis of the crash that is total and utter BS.
    She must have missed the bit where Leo described us not as an island on the periphery of Europe, but an island in the middle of the universe.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #8
    petaljam petaljam is offline
    petaljam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    22,588

    Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post
    Megan sounds like a bit of a self loathing chip on her shoulder tool tbh...

    She probably doesn't even see it in herself either... when looking at herself in the mirror...
    I didn't read to the end of the article, there was too much sheer nastiness instead of any actual criticism of Varadkar for me to bother, so maybe the second half had some substantive points that I missed, but from what I saw it wasn't even self loathing so much as petty generalizations based on class - she doesn't like Leo Varadkar because she doesn't like his accent and his social origins.

    It's ok apparently to dislike him because he's from a wealthy family. I wonder whether she thinks it's ok to dislike him because his father's Indian? Or is that different?

    That's not a right/left thing, BTW, I read exactly the same on here about Minister Zappone - how dare an American play any role in this country. It's the pettiest attitude possible, and I don't really come across it in England or in France, except from the most thuggishly open racists.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #9
    greengoose2 greengoose2 is online now
    greengoose2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    28,266

    Quote Originally Posted by petaljam View Post
    I didn't read to the end of the article, there was too much sheer nastiness instead of any actual criticism of Varadkar for me to bother, so maybe the second half had some substantive points that I missed, but from what I saw it wasn't even self loathing so much as petty generalizations based on class - she doesn't like Leo Varadkar because she doesn't like his accent and his social origins.

    It's ok apparently to dislike him because he's from a wealthy family. I wonder whether she thinks it's ok to dislike him because his father's Indian? Or is that different?
    Maybe she dislikes him because he is a waffler and fairy story teller!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #10
    statsman statsman is online now
    statsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    52,459

    Quote Originally Posted by parentheses View Post
    Fairly excoriating article about our new Taoiseach. However it seems she regards Varadkar as really only a manifestation of the low self esteem and shaky sense of identity of the collective Irish nation.








    https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/d...d-irish-people
    There's a lot that Leo could be criticised for; none of it was in that article.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment