Register to Comment
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Leo Varadkar is a symptom of a deeply insecure country

Fairly excoriating article about our new Taoiseach. However it seems she regards Varadkar as really only a manifestation of the low self esteem and shaky sense of identity of the collective Irish nation.

Instead, with a ************************-eating ingratiating grin, he launched into a frankly deranged ode to a Richard Curtis film.
    But largely it's how familiar the whole miserable dynamic is: the Irish politician doing some half-hearted clowning for his perceived betters, desperate as a bullied kid to just be liked no matter what it takes.
    Ireland, despite its fierce nationalism, is barely capable of conceiving of itself as a country.
    The longer Ireland continues in this way, allowing ourselves to exist as an embodiment of other nations' projections, the less real we eventually will become materially, clapping and jigging and gee-whiz-begorrah-ing our way into a state of perpetual objectification.
    https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/d...d-irish-people
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Leo will consult with Regina. She know how to deal with critics!

Crap OP, self loathing and shallow. Very Irish.

How many roles has Leo failed in at this stage?

Quote Originally Posted by parentheses View Post
    Fairly excoriating article about our new Taoiseach. However it seems she regards Varadkar as really only a manifestation of the low self esteem and shaky sense of identity of the collective Irish nation.

Megan sounds like a bit of a self loathing chip on her shoulder tool tbh...

She probably doesn't even see it in herself either... when looking at herself in the mirror...

If there is any self loathing here it is the witless woman who wrote this article. Another soft left right on analysis of the crash that is total and utter BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    If there is any self loathing here it is the witless woman who wrote this article. Another soft left right on analysis of the crash that is total and utter BS.
    She must have missed the bit where Leo described us not as an island on the periphery of Europe, but an island in the middle of the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post
    Megan sounds like a bit of a self loathing chip on her shoulder tool tbh...

She probably doesn't even see it in herself either... when looking at herself in the mirror...
    I didn't read to the end of the article, there was too much sheer nastiness instead of any actual criticism of Varadkar for me to bother, so maybe the second half had some substantive points that I missed, but from what I saw it wasn't even self loathing so much as petty generalizations based on class - she doesn't like Leo Varadkar because she doesn't like his accent and his social origins.

It's ok apparently to dislike him because he's from a wealthy family. I wonder whether she thinks it's ok to dislike him because his father's Indian? Or is that different?

That's not a right/left thing, BTW, I read exactly the same on here about Minister Zappone - how dare an American play any role in this country. It's the pettiest attitude possible, and I don't really come across it in England or in France, except from the most thuggishly open racists.

Quote Originally Posted by petaljam View Post
    I didn't read to the end of the article, there was too much sheer nastiness instead of any actual criticism of Varadkar for me to bother, so maybe the second half had some substantive points that I missed, but from what I saw it wasn't even self loathing so much as petty generalizations based on class - she doesn't like Leo Varadkar because she doesn't like his accent and his social origins.

It's ok apparently to dislike him because he's from a wealthy family. I wonder whether she thinks it's ok to dislike him because his father's Indian? Or is that different?
    Maybe she dislikes him because he is a waffler and fairy story teller!

There's a lot that Leo could be criticised for; none of it was in that article.

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment