Register to Comment
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Quote Originally Posted by petaljam View Post
    It seems to me that the reference to his accent was not just unnecessary, it typified the whole article. But as I say, it had the effect on me that I stopped reading shortly after, so maybe I missed the substantive points. TBH from what I did see, there weren't any.
    It's interesting that one personal dig at someone for being wealthy is sufficient to render whatever other substantive points the author might make not worthy of consideration.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post
    Looking at the UK and the Brexit shambles is doing wonders for the national esteem of former colonies...

It's been and continues to be a real eye opener... and not in a good way for the UK.
    Yeah, I went back and struggled through the mess of that article, though I draw the line at having to watch the videos to guess what point is being made, and it seems to me there are some valid points all mixed in with personal spite - and that's what is wrong with Irish political life, rather than Leo's quips about films or socks.

The inability to separate the real problems (the possible cross border issues after Brexit) from completely invented ones (making frivolous social comments at public events instead of what - deep meaningful speeches to get the crowds cheering?) and mixing them all up into a soup of how embarrassing one particular head of state is, is just navel gazing of the worst kind.

How embarrassing is Theresa May for the British? And Trump? And indeed, Macron, if anyone in France cared to analyze his (social) acts or words - which they mostly don't. Not to that depth of meaning anyway. Which is why I said it's articles like hers that typify the real problem in Ireland. Not Varadkar's social butterfly act.

Quote Originally Posted by Volatire View Post
    Varadkar is the smartest Taoiseach since Charlie Haughey, but without the corruption.

Very impressive so far. His open contempt for the whinging leftie is a breath of fresh air in Irish politics.
    And his achievements?

When a politicians defining characteristic to admire is contempt it doesn't say much for them really. Says a lot about you though.

Quote Originally Posted by blinding View Post
    Ah ! Sure they have been lying on their backs getting their bellies rubbed by the EU for years........This also has the added advantage of not doing any real work....The EU and the Civil Service are running the Country.........

EU Quislings All...............
    Have you seen productivity rates in the UK when compared to the rest of the EU...?

>>> Eurostat - Tables, Graphs and Maps Interface (TGM) table

Ireland is well ahead of the UK... as are quite a few others...

His mother was a Nurse ,a hard working profession and not very well paid, his father a Doctor again hard working and pretty well paid but not in the top league of wealth . Not much to complain about there

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    It's interesting that one personal dig at someone for being wealthy is sufficient to render whatever other substantive points the author might make not worthy of consideration.
    No, that's not what I meant, but it predicted something for the rest of the article that I glanced through, didn't click on the links and gave up along the way. What I saw seemed to confirm what I expected from the initial position taken by the author. As I say I went back since. (Seeing as I found myself discussing an article I hadn't really read!!) And I can't see that it was much better than I expected. A little, but not much.

But when the second or third line of an article says the author doesn't like someone because of their social or ethnic origins, what does that indicate about their ability, or even desire, to be objective about the person?

Read the article the other day. The fact she felt need to make fun of his accent to back up her argument tells you a lot about how bad and partisan the article was.

Quote Originally Posted by culmore View Post
    His mother was a Nurse ,a hard working profession and not very well paid, his father a Doctor again hard working and pretty well paid but not in the top league of wealth . Not much to complain about there
    There is something about Leo though that suggests he is of the Silver Spoon Feeder.........

Quote Originally Posted by petaljam View Post
    But when the second or third line of an article says the author doesn't like someone because of their social or ethnic origins, what does that indicate about their ability, or even desire, to be objective about the person?
    I think it depends on the context. In UK politics, where references to class are much more explicit compared to Ireland, Tory politicians are often criticized for being out of touch as a result of their wealth (as opposed to left-leaning politicians who are usually supposed to be out of touch for other reasons).

Alluding to Varadkar's wealth in this context might be intended to suggest that he (and other well-off politicians) are more comfortable imposing austerity, or bailing out banks, because they are insulated from the worst consequences of such policies.

Not that I'm particularly interested in defending the author here - mostly I just think the point about post-colonial identity is an interesting one.

Quote Originally Posted by blinding View Post
    There is something about Leo though that suggests he is of the Silver Spoon Feeder.........
    Envy and begrudgery... not particularly attractive traits... innit?

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment