Register to Comment
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Quote Originally Posted by greengoose2 View Post
    Maybe she dislikes him because he is a waffler and fairy story teller!
    But she didn't say that, did she? (Never mind actually give any examples)
    She went off on a rant about his unpleasant accent and his well-off parents.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    There's a lot that Leo could be criticised for; none of it was in that article.
    It did a pretty good job of nailing the obsequiousness he has displayed since becoming Taoiseach.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    It did a pretty good job of nailing the obsequiousness he has displayed since becoming Taoiseach.
    It struck me as playing the man and not the ball all the way through.

Obsequious to whom? What should he have done differently? Engaged in long awkward handshakes?
    (I've no very strong opinion on Varadkar, positive or negative, though possibly slightly more negative so far, but I can't see that this article was anything other than a bit of spite.)

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    It struck me as playing the man and not the ball all the way through.
    The reference to his accent was unnecessary, but I think the article's central point was that Varadkar is "a symptom of a deeply insecure country", and a lot of what it says in that regard rings true, in my view.

I think it raises some interesting issues about how citizens of former colonies understand their nations, even if one doesn't agree with the author's particular diagnosis in the Irish case.

Quote Originally Posted by petaljam View Post
    Obsequious to whom? What should he have done differently? Engaged in long awkward handshakes?
    (I've no great opinion of Varadkar, positive or negative, though possibly slightly more negative so far, but I can't see that this article was anything other than a bit of spite.)
    In Varadkar's case, obsequious to Theresa May and Justin Trudeau in particular. Though again, the article was not suggesting that this trait is unique to Varadkar, but rather a flaw of the Irish political establishment (and perhaps Irish people) more generally.

It seems to me that the reference to his accent was not just unnecessary, it typified the whole article. But as I say, it had the effect on me that I stopped reading shortly after, so maybe I missed the substantive points. TBH from what I did see, there weren't any.

Basically, as Statsman said, I think there are lots of criticisms to be made of Varadkar, but she didn't make them, and also the criticisms she extrapolated from him to the rest of the country were actually better illustrated by her own article than by anything she said about LV?

The reference to his accent was unnecessary, but I think the article's central point was that Varadkar is "a symptom of a deeply insecure country", and a lot of what it says in that regard rings true, in my view.

I think it raises some interesting issues about how citizens of former colonies understand their nations, even if one doesn't agree with the author's particular diagnosis in the Irish case.
    Looking at the UK and the Brexit shambles is doing wonders for the national esteem of former colonies...

It's been and continues to be a real eye opener... and not in a good way for the UK.

Varadkar is the smartest Taoiseach since Charlie Haughey, but without the corruption.

Very impressive so far. His open contempt for the whinging leftie is a breath of fresh air in Irish politics.

Ah ! Sure they have been lying on their backs getting their bellies rubbed by the EU for years........This also has the added advantage of not doing any real work....The EU and the Civil Service are running the Country.........

EU Quislings All...............

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment