Register to Comment
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

So What Has Mass Tourism Here Done for The Ordinary Folk?

I was a branch of Dunnes Stores in a city centre location , today and there was a mob of loud Italian teenagers running around it! Now, apart from being a bit annoying, they were loud and in packs, they were not nasty at all!
    But with the talk of possibly removing the special tax rate re the hospitality sector which was initially funded by an absolutely disgusting 'raid' on private sector pensions, and which apparently has not been passed on to customers or staff and from what I have heard costs about 1/2 a Billion per year (though it seems extremely high), it really beggars the question how do we the ordinary Paddy benefit from mass tourism?
    Granted, the talent level goes up a bit and almost all of us have been tourists ourselves, so it's a case of having the serve returned!
    However, clogged up streets, noisey eejits and above all, The Sleeveen Employers which plague the hospitality sector are very annoying and the latter is actually stomach turning!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

so, what have our national shortcomings got to do with tourism?

Well what have the Romans ever done for us....?

Apart from tens of thousand of jobs, billions to the local economy, hundreds of millions in tax receipts, huge boosts to local sports, culture, heritage etc, I guess not much.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1229/841647-tourism/

The tourism industry was worth over €8 billion to the Irish economy in 2016 - surpassing all previous records.

Figures show the number of international visitors increased to 8.8 million - up 10% on the previous year.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...nomy-1.3083557

Quote Originally Posted by Man or Mouse View Post
    so, what have our national shortcomings got to do with tourism?
    Sorry, I don't understand that point @ all?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCKY View Post

Apart from tens of thousand of jobs, billions to the local economy, hundreds of millions in tax receipts, huge boosts to local sports, culture, heritage etc, I guess not much.

Yes but that money is mostly into the pockets of sleeveen rubbish level employers where the minimum wage and less is the norm!
    And if you have no connection to tourism, how exactly are you benefitting from it?

Quote Originally Posted by General Urko View Post
    Sorry, I don't understand that point @ all?
    Sleeveen employers etc. They are our crowd, not tourists.

Quote Originally Posted by Man or Mouse View Post
    Sleeveen employers etc. They are our crowd, not tourists.
    Absolutely, but they are the ones who benefit from mass tourism!

I would turn a jaundiced arse to any middle media p[eddling a middle class narrative on top of working class folk!

Quote Originally Posted by General Urko View Post
    Yes but that money is mostly into the pockets of sleeveen rubbish level employers where the minimum wage and less is the norm!
    And if you have no connection to tourism, how exactly are you benefitting from it?
    Oh don't wind me up!

You don't need a direct connection to the tourist industry to benefit. Tourists pay taxes on practically everything they do in the country, including entering and exiting. In addition to VAT, there is the spending across the economy, which creates jobs, as a result of this employment, the government collects taxes, levies, charges from the employer and the employee which goes to fund schools, hospitals, roads etc.

Oh don't wind me up!

You don't need a direct connection to the tourist industry to benefit. Tourists pay taxes on practically everything they do in the country, including entering and exiting. In addition to VAT, there is the spending across the economy, which creates jobs, as a result of this employment, the government collects taxes, levies, charges from the employer and the employee which goes to fund schools, hospitals, roads etc.
    OK ,so tourism isnt terrible. Its hardly the basis of a powerful economy though.
    There is an over estimation of it , in this country, imo. And you didnt address its exploitative nature in your comment.
    It is massively exploitative of workers.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment