Register to Comment
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Mahon Vigilantes

A group started on Facebook last night with the above name designed to out local drug dealers in Mahon in Cork City.
    Since then it has had over 1700 people connect with the page which is calling for people to beat the dealers and heroin addicts of the local community.

Tonight, the Evening Echo is reporting that a number of suspected local dealers have been beaten by baseball bats and are in hospital as a direct consequence of this Facebook page.

I do not condone the violence but it says a lot about the response of the State to the growing drug problems in our inner cities, that communities feel it is up to them to defend themselves from the drug scourge.

Mahon vigilantes 'beating drug dealers with baseball bats'
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    A group started on Facebook last night with the above name designed to out local drug dealers in Mahon in Cork City.
    Since then it has had over 1700 people connect with the page which is calling for people to beat the dealers and heroin addicts of the local community.

Tonight, the Evening Echo is reporting that a number of suspected local dealers have been beaten by baseball bats and are in hospital as a direct consequence of this Facebook page.

I do not condone the violence but it says a lot about the response of the State to the growing drug problems in our inner cities, that communities feel it is up to them to defend themselves from the drug scourge.

We have a state that has done nothing. Create a vacuum and something will fill it.

Wasn't SF once excoriated by those who think of themselves as the "great and good" for doing just that?

I don't condone it but the public has lost confidence in the courts with their unduly lenient sentencing - particularly when 80% of crimes are committed on bail.

If the State doesn't offer people adequate protection than I believe that they have the right to take matters into their hands- however I'm not sure if that was the case in this situation at all.

The Gardai have more important stuff to do than catch drug dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    I don't condone it but the public has lost confidence in the courts with their unduly lenient sentencing - particularly when 80% of crimes are committed on bail.
    Where did you get that figure ?

I remember Fettercairn in Tallaght people had to camp out all night to get rid of the pushers.

The cops weren't happy that the sheeple weren't lying down and playing dead for the drug merchants.

Perhaps they felt they were showing the cops up.

My memory of Dublin in the 90s is that community campaigns were effective...were they?

Moi went along to a neighborhood watch thing once (meant to be few squid of the insurance if yer in the scheme) mainly auld dears etc. Anywho there was wan guy with the 'thousand yard stare' and he suggested leaving a horses head in the front garden of somewan who obviously had just pished him off, so the moral of the story is the horse was innocent...

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment