Register to Comment
Page 77 of 80 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast
Like Tree512Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Talbot View Post
    We've taken careful note of your request to keep the French out of your life, valamhic. In Ireland (please note the 'e' in the spelling of 'Ireland) we do not speak the Queen's English- in fact very few people even in England do that- but have refined the language into something far more interesting as you will have noted from your reading of Ulysses.

As for Macron I am fairly certain he had nothing to do with 1798. His missus might remember it but then there is an age gap.
    Here again is a perfect example of the twisting of debate. I did not post my having a problem with communication by Irish people in English. I agree that the way the Irish speak English is very very good.

I posted that the posters here are posting in French, with French phrases and words. This is placing me at a disadvantage in understanding their posts. There are literally hundreds of languages spoken in the world. I have a good grasp of English (I may have a type above for which you deserve a prize for spotting). I have a fairly reasonable grasp of Gaeilge (the Irish language and am still learning) and as a third language I choose Lakota. I can't be fluent in them all.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Talbot View Post
    We've taken careful note of your request to keep the French out of your life, valamhic. In Ireland (please note the 'e' in the spelling of 'Ireland) we do not speak the Queen's English- in fact very few people even in England do that- but have refined the language into something far more interesting as you will have noted from your reading of Ulysses.

As for Macron I am fairly certain he had nothing to do with 1798. His missus might remember it but then there is an age gap.
    I split my reply for clarity. Of course Macron was not responsible for 1798, I did not post that. I posted that the French where not a good ally in that dispute. They were more worried about getting their knickerbockers stained than putting up a fight. The French had a choice of voting for a good sound candidate Marie LaPenn but chose whinging Macron. That was beyond the Pale in my book. They are a bunch of commie leftie greenie libloons and |Trump is putting them in their place biggly.

Sorry to hog this discussion, will leave it to youse for a while while I fodder the cattle.

I once took a shine to a nice young nun, novice sister Marie who wanted to test her vocation. I thought it was a sin and went to confession.

The auld priest forgave me after I told him I put 2 shillings into the collection box the last Sunday. However he inserted a condition.

He siad its not a sin to fancy a nun, so long as you don't get into the habit.

Twitter
    @

Quote Originally Posted by valamhic View Post
    Here again is a perfect example of the twisting of debate. I did not post my having a problem with communication by Irish people in English. I agree that the way the Irish speak English is very very good.

I posted that the posters here are posting in French, with French phrases and words. This is placing me at a disadvantage in understanding their posts. There are literally hundreds of languages spoken in the world. I have a good grasp of English (I may have a type above for which you deserve a prize for spotting). I have a fairly reasonable grasp of Gaeilge (the Irish language and am still learning) and as a third language I choose Lakota. I can't be fluent in them all.
    Lakota. Isn't that a Native American language as in the Sioux nation?

Quote Originally Posted by valamhic View Post
    Sorry to hog this discussion, will leave it to youse for a while while I fodder the cattle.

I once took a shine to a nice young nun, novice sister Marie who wanted to test her vocation. I thought it was a sin and went to confession.

The auld priest forgave me after I told him I put 2 shillings into the collection box the last Sunday. However he inserted a condition.

He siad its not a sin to fancy a nun, so long as you don't get into the habit.
    What a lazy sod, 10.30 and you haven't fed the cattle, get too it.

Spotted a good article here that shows the Nuns in their True Light:

J. Anthony Gaughan

I found Jacinta Prunty’s account of the institutions of the congregation of Our Lady of Charity both magisterial and immensely satisfying. But here I must declare a personal interest.
    With other duties I served in the 1960’s as chaplain to St Mary’s Magdalen Home in Donnybrook, which was conducted by a similar congregation, the Religious Sisters of Charity. I witnessed at first hand the generosity of the sisters as they spent their lives helping the women and girls in their charge and noted their solicitude for each one of them.

https://www.irishcatholic.com/behind...agdalen-homes/

Curious story here about what appears to have been outright fantasy that became a best seller by well known Irish journalist Hermann Kelly

Lies of Little Miss Misery - memoir of abused girl is a fake, says new investigation

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...#ixzz59cxxAojj
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...stigation.html

Now if one person can write up a fake account of the Magdalenes and have it swallowed whole

- then why not another?

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpast View Post
    Spotted a good article here that shows the Nuns in their True Light:

J. Anthony Gaughan

I found Jacinta Prunty’s account of the institutions of the congregation of Our Lady of Charity both magisterial and immensely satisfying. But here I must declare a personal interest.
    With other duties I served in the 1960’s as chaplain to St Mary’s Magdalen Home in Donnybrook, which was conducted by a similar congregation, the Religious Sisters of Charity. I witnessed at first hand the generosity of the sisters as they spent their lives helping the women and girls in their charge and noted their solicitude for each one of them.

https://www.irishcatholic.com/behind...agdalen-homes/
    The true light shines everywhere. Not just on the good stuff. That's something new, and very welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    The true light shines everywhere. Not just on the good stuff. That's something new, and very welcome.
    So you accept that there were Good Nuns as well as bad ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpast View Post
    Curious story here about what appears to have been outright fantasy that became a best seller by well known Irish journalist Hermann Kelly

Lies of Little Miss Misery - memoir of abused girl is a fake, says new investigation

Read more: Lies of Little Miss Misery - memoir of abused girl is a fake, says new investigation | Daily Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Lies of Little Miss Misery - memoir of abused girl is a fake, says new investigation | Daily Mail Online

Now if one person can write up a fake account of the Magdalenes and have it swallowed whole

- then why not another?
    I've read Hermann Kelly's book on the Kathy's allegations. A more creepy act of merciless and nuance-free character assassination of a clearly vulnerable woman I have never come across in print.

It seems this woman's story was indeed at least partially a figment of her imagination, but the glee with which Kelly rips her apart personally is no less than foul.

Having said that, it's clear that the book that Kathy wrote with her ghost writer should never have been published.

Kelly's book "Kathy's Real Story" was published in 2007 at the latest, and is hardly news to anyone interested in the broader subject.

Page 77 of 80 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment