Register to Comment
Page 2 of 80 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Like Tree512Likes

those who detest Our Lord Jesus Christ and His teachings, across the whole spectrum of them from utterly bourgeois Quakers to drunk and drugged out of it gutter punks seething in their vomit
    Peace be with you too. My peace I give unto you.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

A publication under Oxford Press entitled "The Transforming Power of the Nuns: Women, Religion and Cultural Change in Ireland 1750 - 1900 - in it
    Mary Peckham Magray argues that the Irish Catholic cultural revolution in the nineteenth century was effected not only by male elites, as previous scholarship has claimed, but also by the most overlooked and underestimated women in Ireland: the nuns. Once thought to be merely passive servants of the male clerical hierarchy, women's religious orders were in fact at the very center of the creation of a devout Catholic culture in Ireland. Often well-educated, articulate, and evangelical, nuns were much more social and ambitious than traditional stereotypical views have held. They used their wealth and their authority to effect changes in both the religious practices and daily activity of the larger Irish Catholic population, and by doing so, Magray argues, deserve a far larger place in the Irish historical record than they have previously been accorded.

link
    https://books.google.ie/books/about/...d=DTfKrypphvcC

Must be a Heterosexual thing.. US GAYS love Julie Andrews in "The Sound of Music"

Quote Originally Posted by stopdoingstuff View Post
    Jesus chose none.
    Proof of his infinite wisdom

Talking of chips on shoulder, Brenda Power in ST yesterday said churches should act on the practice of men who murdered wife and children being buried with them (reference to recent case). Does she not know that churches have no role in the decision on where people are buried?

Quote Originally Posted by stopdoingstuff View Post
    Women are generally better Catholics.
    Easy for them.

Apart from when all the Laundry stuff came out hate seems a strong word. As a kid I'd have avoided them if I could , they always looked glum or had a rbf. Priests tended to be more sociable

The catholic church made it it's business to denigrate women to the lowest levels of it's organisation. Jesus didn't and many believe Mary Magdelene was an apostle with equal standing to any of the other 12. She is defamed in catholic lore as a prostitute.

So , the question should be, why does the catholic church hate nuns?.

I can't say I've noticed what you're talking about.

Quakers, in general, don't tend to hate anybody very much, BTW.

If this phenomenon of nun hatred does exist outside your imagination, perhaps it is because nuns are sexual deviants that are sworn to celibacy and this brings out a very intolerant fear of sexual difference among some other groups of people?

Live and let live, say I.. if nuns want to destroy their sexuality in some sickly rejection of their humanity, that's their business (as long as they don't abuse others as a result).

All that said, TBH, I would say that the most disrespect for nuns comes from within the CC and is promulgated by priests who have done a marvellous job of keeping women out of the priesthood and other positions of real power.

So, if the phenomenon does exist, perhaps it's that in a world that grows more feminist by the day, nuns are a bit of a relic and a joke for putting up with their status within the CC.

What are your own theories?

Quote Originally Posted by Henry94. View Post
    Easy for them.
    I suppose they do love misery.

Page 2 of 80 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment