Aggressive securislam, give it ten years at most
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by fat finger View Post
    Aggressive securislam, give it ten years at most
    What comes after, fat finger?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Redfellow View Post
    May I assist?

We'd need to plumb the implications of ἐχθρος (an adjective, rather than a noun). So more of "the hateful" than Aristotle's ἀντιτὺπος or the Homeric δὴιος.

Despite the general agreement in English Bibles, I'd be happier to render ἐχθρος as "hostile" rather than implying "outright enemy". My lexicon, the Little Liddell (1909 edition), makes the parallel with Latin inimicus — and in my Lewis and Short (1958 impression) the first rendering of that is "unfriendly".

Any chance of a debate on the problems of translations?

By the way, now all these great tomes are on line, why have I still a foot of shelving occupied by stuff going back to C.D. Yonge's English-Greek Lexicon, Longmans, 1849?
    Translation/interpretation is indeed a topic close to my heart, given that I'm living abroad. My core frustration is when my first language - English - comes in contact with my second - French. The latter is so precise in comparison with the former that very often - to use a computer concept - concepts are not easily portable from one to the other. Over time I have been forced to mentally strip many linguistic flourishes from what I'm trying to communicate before expressing it in French.

While his anti-Christianity disgusts rather than challenges me I am challenged by a lot else that Varg has to say. Outside of his first CD and the electronica that he does done though I make a point of not listening to it regularly I did love Burzum and still like them even if I was never a huge metal fan. Personally I see the whole notion of Iona and Opus Dei of "Baptizing" post-modern capitalism as doomed from the start as not only does it contain very little if any natural virtues but it has been founded on the rejection of Christ. Sometimes the Bible advises us to "Wherefore, Go out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing" (2 Corinthians 6:17). Anybody with eyes in their head and is future orientated as opposed to being a present-hedonist type can see that we are now teethering on the edge of an abyss. It is in this context that I think people should listen to what Varg has to say here;

Quote Originally Posted by ellie08 View Post
    auld Saul, he was a great chap. Set out killing Christians, and changed his tune on the road to Damascus - and that's whose writings the church as it is is founded upon. Perhaps we'd have been better off following James. Still, a few good tunes were written about him - this is not one of them

That sexy camisole top is far too small for the horse with the creepily shrunken head.

Quote Originally Posted by benroe View Post
    I read the Bible and its crap.

Irrespective of its ideological/religious content the bible is recognised by most experts as great artistic literature.
    For somebody to call the book "crap" indicates artistic ignorance of the very highest possible order.

Whatever about going to the Dark Side , it is really a tragedy for you to lose all sense of literary artistic appreciation.
    Last edited by The Field Marshal; 15th November 2017 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Field Marshal View Post
    Irrespective of its ideological/religious content the bible is recognised by most literary experts as great artistic literature.
    For somebody to call the book "crap" indicates artistic ignorance of the very highest possible order.

Whatever about going to the Dark Side losing all sense of literary artistic appreciation is really a tragedy for you.
    Horses for courses. For most honest reviewers without an emotional investment, it's a bit of a curate's egg.

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    Horses for courses. For most honest reviewers without an emotional investment, it's a bit of a curate's egg.
    Tell me one work of great literature that is not a bit of a curates egg.?

Indeed since "curates egg" is the leitmotive of nearly all large works of great literature to use that phrase is quite outré.

And you are anything but an honest reviewer given your atheistic stance.

Objectively speaking the bulk of literary experts have deemed the bible to be in the canon of great works of world literature.

Thats a simple fact that has nothing to do with emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by The Field Marshal View Post
    Irrespective of its ideological/religious content the bible is recognised by most experts as great artistic literature.

Whatever about going to the Dark Side , it is really a tragedy for you to lose all sense of literary artistic appreciation.
    Two things, firstly the Bible is a collection of books which in turn are collections of stories, some are deep and meaningful some insightful, some are bad but most are just weird ,violent and divisive.
    Secondly, this book was intended to give the followers of christ a blueprint for how they should live their lives and as such it has not stood the test of time and has been proven to be immoral by modern standards.

As for its artistic value, meh.

I'm finding out what riffing and a curate's egg mean but I don't see how that's going to help. For the curious - Origin
    Early 20th century: from a cartoon in Punch (1895) depicting a meek curate who, given a stale egg at the bishop's table, assures his host that ‘parts of it are excellent’.

Page 87 of 94 FirstFirst ... 37778586878889 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment