Register to Comment
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree162Likes

As a male who has played computer games for close on 25 years (I refuse to call myself a "gamer") and a self described feminist I both cringe and welcome the debate.

I have daughter who I like to spend quality time with, occasionally playing a good computer game together, when you have a 12 year girl whom you are responsible for it really causes to look at the misogyny in gaming differently.

As with violence in gaming I always defended it as escapism (telling my wife that those hours spent playing GTA will not lead into a life of crime and pimpin') and I still do to a degree.

The reaction to these so called "gamers" to valid questions about representation of women (not saying the questioners are right but they've a right to open a discussion without being slut shamed) is nasty, violent and juvenile.. like most games in fact.

Except that, unlike my GTA etc, this is real women being attacked and shamed.

I can't understand how anyone can defend, or try to contextualise or rationalise this actions.. however much you disagree with the points being raised.

Good thing is that the debate is happening and gaming can perhaps grow up a little once we move past the nastiness.
    Last edited by Verhofstadt; 30th October 2014 at 12:12 PM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Mediagate?

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    As for that bloody 'gate' suffix. Watergate was one word (the Watergate offices), so why is 'gate' tagged onto every crisis/scandal?

Kind of like alcoholic becoming workoholic, etc. Surely it should be workic?
    Someone once pointed out a story about water could legitimately take the gate suffix and the journalist did not understand.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    As for that bloody 'gate' suffix. Watergate was one word (the Watergate offices), so why is 'gate' tagged onto every crisis/scandal?

Kind of like alcoholic becoming workoholic, etc. Surely it should be workic?
    You're such a pedantolic.

Quote Originally Posted by ManfredJudge View Post
    Someone once pointed out a story about water could legitimately take the gate suffix and the journalist did not understand.
    I want Politics.ieGate.. and I want it now

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    It highlights there's a very weird vocal subset of gamer fans who can't get partners and so hate all dem bitches as a result. They're this generation's wrestling fans. I don't think it says much about society as large.
    I think it's a problem of society of large rather than gamer culture in particular, though the prominence of males of a certain age and the use of anonymity means that its more pronounced in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    It's because nobody really cares.

It's a niche issue which impact a few people but has been blown out of proportion by it's presence on social media and a new industry which is desperate to report on anything.
    Sure, nobody really cares, apart from everybody writing about it, the people who have been targeted by harassment and threats, the companies like Intel and Adobe who have gotten involved, and the game developers, journalists and consumers who form part of a multi-billion dollar industry.

Quote Originally Posted by stopdoingstuff View Post
    They picked on the wrong bunch of nerds. They thought it would a slam dunk and that the Geeks would roll over. Instead a nerd-crusade was launched and it turns out that not only have gaming journalists been shown to have financial relationships with entities whose games they review, but group emails from some of the biggest journalists in the business have been leaked showing them trying to co-ordinate coverage. The upshot of all of this anyway is that big advertisers are dropping the likes of Gawker media like a hot snot because of the strength of the consumer push back.
    Gamergate: Gawker Loses BMW, Mercedes, And Adobe Advertising Due To ‘Bullying’ Gamers

Don't fk with your customers and especially don't ************************ with them before Christmas.
    All of the nerds that I know are absolutely disgusted by the actions of a sad minority who pretend to act in their name.

I used to play on Xbox Live a fair bit, but I had to mute the sounds of the other players because they were invariably teenage American idiots screaming moronic abuse at everyone else. As has been said already, I don't know if the issue is one of misogyny as such, rather than more basic immaturity and ************************************************ed ness.

Having said that, Andrew Sullivan had an interesting theory. He suggested that these guys were the sort of nerds and losers who got bullied in school, and who had found a community of like-minded people online. He thought that perhaps their irrational response to feminist criticisms of gamer culture was born of a concern, however ill founded, that their nerdy online refuge could be taken away from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Parlon View Post
    Gamers want to game. Anita Sarkessian wants attention. That's about all there is to this manufactured 1st-world navel gazing.
    Of course she wants attention. She produces YouTube videos for public consumption. That's kind of the point.

Presumably what she doesn't want is to have people threatening to shoot feminists if she is allowed to speak in public.

Do you consider book reviewers and movie critics to be similarly engaging in "1st-world naval gazing"?

Quote Originally Posted by borntorum View Post
    Having said that, Andrew Sullivan had an interesting theory. He suggested that these guys were the sort of nerds and losers who got bullied in school, and who had found a community of like-minded people online. He thought that perhaps their irrational response to feminist criticisms of gamer culture was born of a concern, however ill founded, that their nerdy online refuge could be taken away from them.
    It's an interesting theory, but one should be wary about relying too heavily on generalizations and the stereotype of the "basement-dwelling neckbeard". I've read similar views by others who suggest that one reason some white male gamers are especially suspicious of those they label as "social justice warriors" is because they tend to find themselves marginalized and excluded in lots of ways and become angry when confronted with the idea of things like privilege (if you're a white male who gets bullied a lot, for example, you're not going to feel very "privileged").
    Last edited by Mercurial; 30th October 2014 at 11:53 AM.

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment