Register to Comment
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree162Likes

Quote Originally Posted by greengoose2 View Post
    What make you think I'm a man?
    Are you randy? Savage!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

They picked on the wrong bunch of nerds. They thought it would a slam dunk and that the Geeks would roll over. Instead a nerd-crusade was launched and it turns out that not only have gaming journalists been shown to have financial relationships with entities whose games they review, but group emails from some of the biggest journalists in the business have been leaked showing them trying to co-ordinate coverage. The upshot of all of this anyway is that big advertisers are dropping the likes of Gawker media like a hot snot because of the strength of the consumer push back.
    Gamergate: Gawker Loses BMW, Mercedes, And Adobe Advertising Due To ‘Bullying’ Gamers

In a related report by The Inquisitr, Gamergate has been a controversial issue, with actor Adam Baldwin claiming it’s really about ethics in journalism and combating the alleged progressive bias in the media. On the other side of the debate, actress Felicia Day believes Gamergate is an attack on women, and some have even called Gamergate a “plague on gaming.” But those in the Gamergate movement have also pointed out that their members have been doxxed, threatened, and hacked for their beliefs.

When BMW Customer Relations responded to the Gamergate controversy, this is how it was phrased, according to emails sent out.

“Thank you for writing to BMW of North America, LLC. We understand your concerns and the BMW Group does note tolerate bullying or the disparagement of individuals. We have taken action to ensure we do not advertise with Gawker.”

In the case of Adobe, it’s alleged that Gawker editor in chief Max Read, and another Gawker writer named Sam Biddle, published tweets that apparently condoning bullying of “nerds” and gamers. Although Gawker published a front-page statement saying they did not condone bullying, the damage had already been done.
    Don't fk with your customers and especially don't ************************ with them before Christmas.

But what struck me was how poisonous it had become- people from both sides of the argument were going on Twitter wishing death on each other!!!!! Several hot leftist chicks reported threats of rape and at one stage there was an organized campaign to file frivolous police reports against some guy named Mike Cernovich.

I don't care about games as an issue- it is a vast market with enough variety for every one, and at least enough demand to make it feasible for all sorts of tastes to be accommodated. That Zoe Quinn bird has a game called Depression Quest ffs!!!!!! But who am I to criticize people's tastes- she got her game made so fair play to her.

But I do care about discourse, and what I have seen has been so hysterical, extreme, destructive and unreasonable that I think that it should be a way bigger issue that the nature of games. How did people get like that? Is everyone below 30 in the USA in need of valium?

What percentage of gamers care about this? would it even be 1%? Could any outsider who never heard of any of the people involved even guess at who to believe? If you have credible evidence of a death treat then call the police. If you don't trust a review site don't visit it.

Games should not be censored in any way but if someone thinks a particular game of game maker is sexist or racist then they are entitled to express that view as loudly as they like.

A feminist gaming critique?

Jaysus!

Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Parlon View Post
    Gamers want to game. Anita Sarkessian wants attention. That's about all there is to this manufactured 1st-world navel gazing.
    No, that is a definite issue alright but the nastiness of the responses Felicia Day gets, a completely inoffensive person who merely says how she is a bit freaked out by all the hate coming from gamers, that says that the issue is about bad journalism (something we are all very aware of here on p.ie, it wouldn't need to be here if journos did their job) and is now also being hijacked by misogynists and haters of other varieties.
    I play games myself, or I did before baby stopped all that but I wouldn't define myself by that, maybe that is the issue at the heart of all this, these guys are living too narrow a life and are too defensive about it to be rational.
    BTW I believe that 50%+ of game players are actually female these days, I would be curious to know if they all feel the way Day does.

Know nothing about gaming, and it might not be fully on topic which seems to me about the gaming industry, but there was some recent programme about misogyny and chauvinism amongst gamers and the vitriol and comments made online about female gamers. Maybe it says more about the age group that are into gaming rather than the industry itself, much as chauvinism might manifest itself amongst football supporters which may be largely drawn from 20-40 year old males.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    I'm surprised there hasn't already been a thread about this.
    It's because nobody really cares.

It's a niche issue which impact a few people but has been blown out of proportion by it's presence on social media and a new industry which is desperate to report on anything.

Yeah, this whole thing is simply silly. Some female journalists have hyped this up, and true, some horrible things were said to them, but the people involved are like 12. Adult women attacking the game industry and trolling 12-13 year olds who respond as immature 12-13 year olds who have no social life or friends do, in online flame attacks, which then the journalists try and say is some huge gaming conspiracy.

I find it best to not feed the trolls, especially the pre-teens.

Did they not cop on to this when all of those forums were filled with

U R the Gayz! PwND!

I mean, if what they were saying was true about the vast majority of gamers then it would be a proper story, but them seem to be dealing with a bunch of children, literally children, and if anyone here has played COD online will know they do talk a lot of trash, but sure, they are just children.

I agree with those who say the story has been blown wildly out of proportion. So there are a bunch of nerdy guys playing video games who have issues with women. Who knew?

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment