Register to Comment
Page 3 of 499 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Like Tree1387Likes

Seldom can there have been such a group of people so wilfully dedicated to the display of stupidity as the more philosophical Luddites of Ireland. World leaders in studied ignorance.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Imo, another problem with 'atheist'/'atheism' (specifically, the way the words are used or interpreted) is that it can be employed erroneously as a synonym to describe someone's beliefs as being 'reasonable', 'scientific', or 'evidence-based'.

It may be that someone doesn't believe in god(s), but that doesn't mean he doesn't believe in reincarnation, homeopathy, mediumship, or any other number of things that aren't supported by evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    Ah but that's not true - he and his disciples are on a mission to convert people away from theism, and thus he does undermine atheism, if you take it to mean the spread of atheism and the rejection of religion (his own stated goals).

And you, conversely, are immensely lucky that you live in a tolerant country with a secular government - if I were in charge then you'd be toasted medium-well on a barbecue in a very pre-Vatican II way...
    It is because of people like you that your pews are empty except for the increasingly senile bewildered.

Atheism is really the absence of belief in anything

- so its not really possible to undermine it anyway

As for Dawkins he is a bit of a wally IMO

I wouldn't mind but here the stupid of Ireland are, blaming Richard Dawkins for the disappearance of their world of smells, bells and ignorance and yet they cannot even realise that Sean Brady has done more for atheism and agnosticism in Ireland than Richard Dawkins could ever do.

The best friend of atheism and agnosticism in Ireland for a number of decades now has been the country's largest religious cult. Atheists in Ireland need do no campaigning except to wait for the next priest to open his mouth with some more mental dingbattery. And the more lunatic of their followers filling in the pauses.

CLAP ... CLAP ... CLAP...

Quote Originally Posted by Rausmaus Von Schnellkat View Post
    It is because of people like you that your pews are empty except for the increasingly senile bewildered.
    You mean like the increasingly senile bewildered Dawkins?

The pews are increasingly empty for a number of reasons - some self-inflicted, some external - little old me (and whoever it is that is supposed to be 'like me') is not one of them. However, people like you are very much the reason why many, many people, including atheists and agnostics, have become sick of the aggressive and posturing insults and intolerance of the atheist zealots. And before you say 'atheism is not a religion, it's only an absence of belief' - that's true, for some, but not for people like you who have to go out of your way to comment on any and every thread that concerns religion to demonstrate how superior you believe yourself to be. Which you did, just a couple of posts above, when you referred to 'philosophical luddites', 'wilful stupidity' and 'studied ignorance' - the point being to demonstrate to everyone that you think that you are the opposite of those things. It's just posing, and it turns everyone off except the narcissists dedicated to it.

Ever attended a lecture by Dawkins?

My only criticism of Dawkins is that he is much too polite and too indulgent of the intellectual anchors dragging across our experience of life on this planet.

He actually takes them too seriously and rebuffs them point by point whereas I think we should cut to the chase and tell them to find a f*cking library and look up exactly how their cult and its beliefs came about and stop with the cheap attempts at pretending it is even dignified for a human adult in the 21st century to adopt the fears and superstitions of first milennium desert-dwellers.

Quote Originally Posted by ne0ica View Post
    I seen on the Atheist.ie FB page in the past members ignore or even deny some of Dawkins statements. The thing is I think Dawkins reflects alot of the bigotry, intolerance and snobery of modern atheism.
    If somebody came up to you and told you they were a witch and could do magic, how would you treat them? As though they may actually be able to do magic or as if they were a little... simple?

Would that be intolerant too, I wonder? Because pretending that organised religion is anything but a con is just as thick as thinking there are witches who can do magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rausmaus Von Schnellkat View Post

He actually takes them too seriously and rebuffs them point by point whereas I think we should cut to the chase and tell them to find a f*cking library and look up exactly how their cult and its beliefs came about and stop with the cheap attempts at pretending it is even dignified for a human adult in the 21st century to adopt the fears and superstitions of first milennium desert-dwellers.
    Do you think such an approach would lead to a listener's abandoning faith, which is Dawkins's stated aim?

In my experience, most folk don't react well to being told they are, basically, morons; they tend to switch off immediately.

Page 3 of 499 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment