Register to Comment
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
Like Tree169Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Finbar10 View Post
    OK, will do (though it may be a month or two until I've gotten around to reading that).
    Sweet! Thanks - I appreciate that!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I’m gonna cheat here and suggest a film.

A Science fiction film with a political theme
    Albeit inspired by a short story.

They Live

This 1988 American science fiction horror film was directed by John Carpenter, director of Halloween (1978), The Fog (1980), Escape from New York (1981), and Starman (1984).

“They Live” is a critique of consumerism, conformity, and the commodification of everything that went into 5th gear in Ronnie Reagan’s America.

On its opening weekend “They Live” was number one in the box office in the US and worldwide. The film was nominated for two Saturn Awards. “They Live” has since become a cult film.

The film was based on the 1963 short story, "Eight O'Clock in the Morning" by Ray Nelson.

Ray Nelson was a lifelong friend of Philip K. Dick , author of “The Man in the High Castle” (adapted into a current series on Amazon Prime), “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?” (adapted into the film Bladerunner), “A Scanner Darkly” (adapted into a film starring Keanu Reeves), "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale" (adapted into the films Total Recall), “Minority Report'' (adapted into a film starring Tom Cruise and Colin Farrell), “Paycheck” (adapted into a film starring Ben Affleck), "The Golden Man" (adapted into the film “Next” starring Nicolas Cage), “The Adjustment Bureau” (adapted into a film starring Matt Damon”), and the 1958 novel ''Time Out of Joint'' is the inspiration for Jim Carey’s ''The Truman Show''.

Any of Nelson's or K. Dick's books are thought-provoking.

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    squarebracket backslash link close squarebracket ?
    I just put a space in advance of pasting a link now.

Quote Originally Posted by Degeneration X View Post
    Scalzi's Redshirts was interesting, not great but interesting.
    I haven't read that one. I mostly read/listened to the 'Old Man's War' novels.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritzbox View Post
    I'm reading Lovecraft at the moment, he's very good. He has been an inspiration to a lot of other writers - Stephen King comes to mind.
    My earliest recollection of the 'Weird Fiction' genre was through the anthologies of Helen Hoke and the novels of Stephen King in my late childhood.

I discovered Lovecraft in my late teens.

The core entries in the Lovecraft canon (in my opinion) are 'Call of Cthulhu', 'The Shadow out of Time', 'At the Mountains of Madness' and 'The Whisperer in Darkness' (among at least as many other supporting works).

I didn't get back into fiction until my early 30's, but since then I have read most of Lovecraft's and King's works.

This documentary is worth watching for those interested.

Interesting themes in BR.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment