Register to Comment
Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree140Likes

Unique Irish expressions, colloquialisms and pronunciations

Following on from a similar thread concerning archaic expressions that have fallen out of use (the creator of which has now sadly moved on from P.ie):

Archaic phrases

...perhaps it would be interesting to have a similar discussion, this time on expressions which are unique to Ireland, or certain parts of it. Hiberno-English, or Irish English, includes a number of peculiarities which many other English-speakers find incomprehensible or old-fashioned, many of them rooted in the Irish language or in Old English.

- Using "ye" as a pluralisation of you.
    - Using the word "footpath" to mean "pavement" in British English or "sidewalk" in American English
    - "Acting the maggot", or being immature.
    - Spelling whiskey with an e, which is spelt without one in other dialects of English
    - Pronouncing "r" as "orr", which is pronounced "arr" in other countries
    - "Lashing rain"
    - "Hot press"
    - "Get up the yard!"

Listed above are some examples. Feel free to add your own.

PS If the mods intend to move this to the "chat" forum, feel free to do so, although a number of similar threads (including the one linked above) were kept on the main board.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Pavement is a colloquialism as well no?

Quote Originally Posted by daveL View Post
    Pavement is a colloquialism as well no?
    It is.

A few more:

"Amn't"
    "A rake of..."

A wean of. ... As in children

A lock of. ..... As in pints

Quote Originally Posted by Drogheda445 View Post

PS If the mods intend to move this to the "chat" forum, feel free to do so, although a number of similar threads (including the one linked above) were kept on the main board.
    I will ya!

Mental reservation.

Quote Originally Posted by Drogheda445 View Post
    Following on from a similar thread concerning archaic expressions that have fallen out of use (the creator of which has now sadly moved on from P.ie):

Archaic phrases

...perhaps it would be interesting to have a similar discussion, this time on expressions which are unique to Ireland, or certain parts of it. Hiberno-English, or Irish English, includes a number of peculiarities which many other English-speakers find incomprehensible or old-fashioned, many of them rooted in the Irish language or in Old English.

- Using "ye" as a pluralisation of you.
    - Using the word "footpath" to mean "pavement" in British English or "sidewalk" in American English
    - "Acting the maggot", or being immature.
    - Spelling whiskey with an e, which is spelt without one in other dialects of English
    - Pronouncing "r" as "orr", which is pronounced "arr" in other countries
    - "Lashing rain"
    - "Hot press"
    - "Get up the yard!"

The Field Marshal is gone? Balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Cellach View Post
    The Field Marshal is gone? Balls.
    He's "away with the fairies"

Well do Nordies count?

First of all it's not ye: it's "Youse" as in " Youse are nathin but a load of whiners, so youse are". Remember the emphatic "so" - used to underline the main verb in a statement "It's rainin', so it is."

"I'n starved" - not hungry in its primary meaning but cold. Viz the following taken down by your observer in Belfast whose subject was a young woman clad in skimpy attire outside a chip shop in January: "I'm starved so I am and I'm starved too waitin' for me supper.".

"Doon the bray" - the "bray" is a road of any kind. You live up or doon a bray and it does not depend on the perspective of the speaker.Or occasionally at the "back of a bray". That signals oddity. "Doon the red bray" ie the throat is a means of encouraging fussy children to eat their spuds or broccoli or whatever.

Let me see. "Feth-sowls-eye" : an absolute classic. From the Elizabethan "By the faith of my soul, aye". Used to mean: it;s the Gods honest truth..

The major threat: "See you, boy". Nothing else. No other words. When i first watched Robert de Niro, do his celebrated turn in Taxi Driver - "are you looking at me?". it struck me as paltry compared to the cold menace of "See you, boy". No - not looking at ME, Robbie, sweetie , you great big gorgeous bundle of Latin cuddles - it's lookin at YOU

And of course, all the good old Northern phrases to do with bodily functions which interest us enormously: " bowk" (vomit) "Yous'd make a cat bowk so youse would", "scutter" meaning diarrohea but used as a metaphor "I seed your man on the UTV scutterin' from his mouth, the wild shyte he was comin' out with" about a politican for example and "full as a po" ie a chamber pot for someone who's drunk. "Pished, full as a po and scutterin - Jesus he'd make youse bowk, so he would."

Now if you don't appreciate this post, you're not ready for a United Ireland. 'Cos if you get one, you'll have to get used to this

"Runners" for sneakers or trainers
    "Pairer" for pencil sharpeners

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment