Register to Comment
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

[QUOTE=discentes;7512572]Are they, though? Has Johnathon Rhys Meyers ever had a Cork accent or Williams a Welsh one? I've never seen any evidence of either.[/QUOTE

i REMEMBER a BBC documentary on this subject and a number of famous broadcasters from Lancashire of an older generation such as Melvyn Bragg and Joan Blackwell were lamenting the fact that they had felt obliged to adopt RP in the 70s in order to further their careers.They felt that this doesn't happen as much now as before.
    Upper class British accents today are often indistinguishable from normal middle class British accents. When Terry Wogan started his career in Britain he was competing at that time with people who had the tones of the officer class which many ordinary brits resented hence his sucess.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by SEAMAI View Post
    Rhys Meyers always strikes me as someone who is very affected, he certainly comes across that way in that clip, he's actually quite camp.
    He's from the Northside of Cork City and went to the North Mon, so I'd be pretty certain that's not his original accent. For good measure, he seems to go into an American accent when he appears on US TV.

Oddly enough, Cillian Murphy is from Ballintemple (just about the most middle-class suburb there is in Cork) and went to one of the city's prestige fee-paying schools, so it's almost surprising he doesn't have that accent.

Quote Originally Posted by locke View Post
    He's from the Northside of Cork City and went to the North Mon, so I'd be pretty certain that's not his original accent. For good measure, he seems to go into an American accent when he appears on US TV.
    Here is in Cork eight years ago:

Here is is (in a film admittely, but with broadly his own accent) as far back as 2001:

Be interesting to see if there's any clips of him before his 20s.

I'm what I term a "Northside Culchie" from just outside Cork, not a million miles from where JRM grew up and I can tell you that's not his original accent.

Whatever about Dub accents, I found nothing worse than one of their middle class criticising the rest of us. Gay Byrne! He said something like: ou these bogmen can't pronounce their th's, th th th, there's a h there don't ya know?'
    Lihle bollox, he knows nohin. We'll talk de way we wan ta ya whoors handbag.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Of Newgrange View Post
    its very confusing for the upwardly mobile to affect a West Brit accent considering that England is now full of knackers too, knacker poor people, knacker politicians, knacker city traders, knacker footballers, even the posh people in england are knackers .......england is knackeragua ....so what accent is posh ?
    Something tells me you don't really like the English. Can't quite put my finger on it though...

[QUOTE=pedagogus;7512632]
    Quote Originally Posted by discentes View Post
    Are they, though? Has Johnathon Rhys Meyers ever had a Cork accent or Williams a Welsh one? I've never seen any evidence of either.[/QUOTE

i REMEMBER a BBC documentary on this subject and a number of famous broadcasters from Lancashire of an older generation such as Melvyn Bragg and Joan Blackwell were lamenting the fact that they had felt obliged to adopt RP in the 70s in order to further their careers.They felt that this doesn't happen as much now as before.
    Upper class British accents today are often indistinguishable from normal middle class British accents. When Terry Wogan started his career in Britain he was competing at that time with people who had the tones of the officer class which many ordinary brits resented hence his sucess.

I've heard her say that too, and that it's almost gone full circle, and anybody starting off now would be disadvantaged to turn up for an interview at the BBC using RP.
    Last edited by zippo222; 16th December 2013 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shoneen View Post
    If you open your mouth and words come out, you have an accent.
    Not the sharpest tool in the box by any means, are you?

Elizabeth Hurley's dad was Irish, and she was brought up in Basingstoke. Her accent came from neither of those.

Too be honest, alot of the class snobbish I have came across it North Dubs from 'posh' parts of North Dublin looking down on other North Dubs.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment