Register to Comment
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Quote Originally Posted by edg View Post
    Most societies have a working class and a more posher accent.

The conclusion of the author?

There are posh and working class people!

I hope no money was spent on their research
    I think it's merely a blog rather than any large work of research. The author's conclusion seemed to be more that the disparity of accents is wider than in other cities and that this is reflective of a polarised society.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

(@ discentes.) That may be so when people change their accents. Shaw said an Englishman couldn't open his mouth without causing another Englishman to despise him. It was said that Wogan was so sucessful broadcasting in Britain because they couldn't pigeon (class) hole him by his accent.

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    In terms of yje kind of easily identifiable accent discussed in this thread, I don't. I live outside Ireland so therefore I have an "Irish" accent, but back home I don't have a Dublin accent or a culchie accent or whatever. But I speak right proper like.
    Would you sound something like the Supraregional Irish accent identified in the second link?

Dubs love yapping so like to embellish their conversation! A lot of the duller Dub accents are less to do with class than the mentality of the people using them. DORT speak generally indicates a rather stupid shallow middle class person. Likewise the "story bud" accent among working class.

Quote Originally Posted by zippo222 View Post
    That may be so when people change their accents. Shaw said an Englishman couldn't open his mouth without causing another Englishman to despise him. It was said that Wogan was so sucessful broadcasting in Britain because they couldn't pigeon (class) hole him by his accent.
    Are they, though? Has Johnathon Rhys Meyers ever had a Cork accent or Williams a Welsh one? I've never seen any evidence of either.

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    In terms of yje kind of easily identifiable accent discussed in this thread, I don't. I live outside Ireland so therefore I have an "Irish" accent, but back home I don't have a Dublin accent or a culchie accent or whatever. But I speak right proper like.

Yes, they are middle class, but they don't talk like that. Their children have developed it themselves, not from their parents. Well spoken people from South Dublin above the age of 35 generally don't talk like Miriam O'Callaghan (ironically Miriam O'Callaghan being the notable exception!) and the cohort of younger children/adults who do is from a much wider geographical base than South County Dublin and includes "working class" children.
    If you open your mouth and words come out, you have an accent.

Quote Originally Posted by discentes View Post
    I think it's merely a blog rather than any large work of research. The author's conclusion seemed to be more that the disparity of accents is wider than in other cities and that this is reflective of a polarised society.
    More so than a cockney accent and the accent the Queen speaks?

Now THAT is a chasm of difference!

Only those born within the vicinity of Bow's (church) bells can be said to be Cockney

That's the point I made in the OP - I think the author may be basing his assertion on a false premise. I think he's English, so we may both have biases based on our proximity to both sets of accents.

Rhys Meyers always strikes me as someone who is very affected, he certainly comes across that way in that clip, he's actually quite camp.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment