Register to Comment
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Quote Originally Posted by discentes View Post
    Cork too, btw. The second link has a clip of JRM's supraregional accent. Britain has similar with RP, but I can't imagine as scenario in America where two people who grow up in the same area and work in the same area etc., end up with accent's as wildly different as JRM and Cillian Murphy:

Love that guy and he never tries to play down his Cork brogue.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    I speak "quite well" as my granny puts it. But, for the most part, I don't have an accent. I went to Uni and lived in South Dublin and was always perplexes on the accent (more of a speech impediment) some people had there. But I recall coming across it long before the rise of the Celtic tiger. I remember one day, and I am beginning to sound like TOB now, in primary school when a classmate said something to me, I didn't understand and she repeated it... eventually the teacher clarified that this poor girl (who, to the best of my knowledge didn't have an actual speech impediment) was trying to say "oven" but has bastardised it so badly it sounded like "iiven".

I'm not sure it has anything to do with class, among my friends and commentaries none of their parents had the same ludicrous affected accent their children seemed to be afflicted with, I think it was just perception and peer pressure.
    Can we knock this on the head! Of course you do. Everyone has an accent. You must speak like someone.

I'm not sure how you can say it's nothing to do with class. It's your friends's kids that have the affected accent, presuming all your friends are middle class, it's not working class kids that are taking like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    C'mere la, yer only all a bunch of Langers like.
    Dowtcha bai! I'll bait yer head in down Pana later on, kedd.

Quote Originally Posted by discentes View Post
    Cork too, btw. The second link has a clip of JRM's supraregional accent. Britain has similar with RP, but I can't imagine as scenario in America where two people who grow up in the same area and work in the same area etc., end up with accent's as wildly different as JRM and Cillian Murphy:

JRM? Only one link there.

Quote Originally Posted by Drogheda445 View Post
    Dowtcha bai! I'll bait yer head in down Pana later on, kedd.
    Fight ya in the catwalk ya sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    JRM? Only one link there.
    It's in the OP link:

Quote Originally Posted by greenbacks View Post
    There was a similarly fascinating thread on this recently. Loved what the expert had to say below.
    I would certainly believe that. While I think there is a genuine Southside Dublin accent, I've always from Dortspeak to be far too pretentious and put-on. Especially when it seems to have only emerged as an "accent" in the last 20 odd years.

It gets far too much airtime on RTE though. That Omma McNamara wan on Morning Ireland is unbearable.

Good point Cookie regarding difference between parents and offspring. A typical Dublin middle class accent to me would be Gay Byrne or even Brian O'Driscoll in someone younger (which makes the 'amaze balls ad quite funny

Most working class Dubs of older generation would have harsher accent than Byrnes but not that different really. Brendan Behan would be good example, and he was hamming it up!

Outsiders often too mistake the scanger junkie scumbag Dublin accent for Dublin working class which it is not. No-one I know speaks like that!

its very confusing for the upwardly mobile to affect a West Brit accent considering that England is now full of knackers too, knacker poor people, knacker politicians, knacker city traders, knacker footballers, even the posh people in england are knackers .......england is knackeragua ....so what accent is posh ?

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Of Newgrange View Post
    Whatever about your sociology academic effete tautologies, when one transcends the philosophical and ethnographic musings it all boils down to one thing...."A knacker is a knacker" , even if he is Taoiseach.
    "here Anto, would ya look at da state of yer man !!!"
    And your good self walking by leaving a big trail of ************************e behind you.

"anto, would ya luk at the scrawny gimp ,keyboard warrior "spiritofnewgrange".

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment