Register to Comment
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Quote Originally Posted by cathalbrugha View Post
    So you are class conscious? What accent do All toilet cleaners and bin men speak with? What accent do the vast majority of Dublin politicians, celebrities, and journalists speak with? There are exceptions to the latter, but not to the former. Pity and feelings have nothing got to do with it. We know who's at the very bottom of the ladder, do you know your place on the ladder? Do you define your own class consciousness, through language, or does someone else define it on your behalf, because of your accent? What's an 'ordinary Dub?' Someone who sings ballads in the Dubliners, or follows the Grab All Association, a toilet cleaner, or a bin man? I'm certainly not looking down my nose on those occupations, if that's what you're thinking. That's just how I would define, my class consciousness.
    Only ones I've ever heard use that expression are deracinated mushy brained Tan leftovers.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by discentes View Post
    Yeah, that's an abomination, all right. I'm not sure there are that many adults who talk like your man Ivor, though.
    Donnybrook Friday night. OMG!!

Odd isn't it how two accents can exist cheek to jowl but not influence each other all that much.

I live in a small town - circa 10,000 population - where working class people & middle class people use two very different accents. The middle class accent is influenced by the accent of the surrounding slate belt areas while the working class accent comes from a version of Welsh which was heavily influenced by earlier versions of English.

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    Donnybrook Friday night. OMG!!
    Ah, well, some of us would have better sense than to venture to such places!

Quote Originally Posted by Seanie Lemass View Post
    Only ones I've ever heard use that expression are deracinated mushy brained Tan leftovers.
    Its a useful indicator, though. Anyone who uses gets put into the category of 'disregard'.

Although I'm confused here, since cathalbrugha is a good poster.

Never said you were looking down so relax. My point is that bin men/cleaners etc are working class and don't speak with a skanger accent.
    After that I don't feel particularly class conscious as I see the role of a bin man being probably more benefical to society than that of a lawyer or accountant. Also I am acutely aware that men with deefer accents in Louis cope land suits did more damage to this country than all the skanger a who ever lived.
    My mother was a toilet cleaner. That's why I said that's how I define my class consciousness. My point is All bin men, and All toilet cleaners, speak with a particular accent. I'm not saying that their accent makes them class conscious, what I'm saying, is that nobody with a Deefer accent works in either of those two occupations. That's the gist of the question that the OP is asking.

Quote Originally Posted by discentes View Post
    Ah, well, some of us would have better sense than to venture to such places!
    Loike I'm totes on the ambulance ya know. Fookin got sucker ponched by that Fokker from grey stones. My dubes are ruined!

Quote Originally Posted by Seanie Lemass View Post
    Well I'm the son of a toilet cleaner, and I'm using it.

Loike I'm totes on the ambulance ya know. Fookin got sucker ponched by that Fokker from grey stones. My dubes are ruined!
    I'm so happy all these people keep themselves to the south side. Warms my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by gerhard dengler View Post
    Tony Bliar is a good example : when speaking to the ordinary punter you'd notice how his accent would deliberately change and he's adopt Estuary English.

But when speaking in a more formal setting Bliar would revert back to his native clipped accent.
    And ib his recent after dinner speeches sounds like a wasp that just forgot it's estuarine.

The consummate twenty first century politician businessman.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment