Register to Comment
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    I'm afraid you fall into deefer territory. Get thee to dundrum and buy uggs. Loike!
    Not dort speak though. Defo not that, I know a fair few from the midlands wha have that accent and I have yet to meet one who isn't a few decibels louder than the authentically accented mates.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    Fight ya in the catwalk ya sausage.
    Be doggy wide for the shades, la, feens lamped a speedy over there, like.

Quote Originally Posted by sakhee View Post
    Or you could watch SKY Channel 157 (Sony TV channel) now!
    The movie's just started

Quote Originally Posted by shoneen View Post
    If you open your mouth and words come out, you have an accent.
    There are also separate subjects here of Diction and Grammar*, which can collide hilariously with Accent.

D4 accent + bad diction = lazy spoilt celtic cub or drunk person
    D4 Accent + bad grammar = Fur coat / no Knickers, Husband in NAMA (this tends to be a female thing)

Dub accent, perfect diction & grammar = either a "real dub" (and lovely to listen to, typically a bloke in his 60's + ) or a careerist politician trying to affect some working class (votes). Possibly SF wannabe or present TD trying to forget teenage years in rugby clubs...

Dub accent and bad grammar, but in a suit/ nice car = mate of Bertie's, on way to Quango.

* We are talking about really glaring grammar issues.

Nope got it all wrong. Ordinary dubs deprecate themselves from the skanger class because they are scourge on humanity. We don't feel inferior to deefers. We pity them to a certain extent. The zombies walking the streets of Dublin screaming at each other in slow motion cannot be called working class because most of them think work refers to the equipment they use to shoot up in public.
    So you are class conscious? What accent do All toilet cleaners and bin men speak with? What accent do the vast majority of Dublin politicians, celebrities, and journalists speak with? There are exceptions to the latter, but not to the former. Pity and feelings have nothing got to do with it. We know who's at the very bottom of the ladder, do you know your place on the ladder? Do you define your own class consciousness, through language, or does someone else define it on your behalf, because of your accent? What's an 'ordinary Dub?' Someone who sings ballads in the Dubliners, or follows the Grab All Association, a toilet cleaner, or a bin man? I'm certainly not looking down my nose on those occupations, if that's what you're thinking. That's just how I would define, my class consciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by cathalbrugha View Post
    So you are class conscious? What accent do All toilet cleaners and bin men speak with? What accent do the vast majority of Dublin politicians, celebrities, and journalists speak with? There are exceptions to the latter, but not to the former. Pity and feelings have nothing got to do with it. We know who's at the very bottom of the ladder, do you know your place on the ladder? Do you define your own class consciousness, through language, or does someone else define it on your behalf, because of your accent? What's an 'ordinary Dub?' Someone who sings ballads in the Dubliners, or follows the Grab All Association, a toilet cleaner, or a bin man? I'm certainly not looking down my nose on those occupations, if that's what you're thinking. That's just how I would define, my class consciousness.
    Never said you were looking down so relax. My point is that bin men/cleaners etc are working class and don't speak with a skanger accent.
    After that I don't feel particularly class conscious as I see the role of a bin man being probably more benefical to society than that of a lawyer or accountant. Also I am acutely aware that men with deefer accents in Louis cope land suits did more damage to this country than all the skanger a who ever lived.
    Last edited by firefly123; 16th December 2013 at 11:02 PM.

Could people post a clip of what they think to be a D4/Dort accent? Are we talking Miriam O'Callaghan?

Quote Originally Posted by discentes View Post
    Could people post a clip of what they think to be a D4/Dort accent? Are we talking Miriam O'Callaghan?
    Bingo. See damo and Ivor

One RTE newscaster [female] on handover from Smarty Whelan goes, loike..."Guid morning, Morty, and guid morning from the newsroom" and then the AA boiler talks about the "UM 50 romp at Jonk-shun Noine" and the "Furry-bonk Rind-a-bite" in Waterford. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

Bingo. See damo and Ivor
    Yeah, that's an abomination, all right. I'm not sure there are that many adults who talk like your man Ivor, though.

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment