Register to Comment
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

In my view there are about 4 Dublin accents.
    The skanger/ junkie accent which is a slurred drawl laced with expletives and accompanied by track suits and hepatitis.
    The working class Dublin accent. Ordinary joes. Expect snickers work wear and a breakfast roll

The deefer accent. Parts of the South side and DART line. The Ross o Carroll Kelly. Hollister track suit and uggs and too much fake tan. Hair back combed to within an inch of its life.

The academic. Think Mary Robinson. Staccato speech. Far too clever for you and looking for tenure. Usually too high brow to care what to wear. Expect ill fitting garb with elbow patches.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Never heard a posh Dublin or Irish accent. Any example from tv or radio ?

Quote Originally Posted by oggy View Post
    I had that experience in Toronto in 2000. Coming out of a shopping centre I asked a guy for directions. After he told me I asked what part of Ireland he was from. The mouth dropped when he said he was a Newfie, didnt believe him until my brother who is long term in Toronto came along and explained its a fact of life there. Fascinating to say the least
    Newfie is pure Wexford/Waterford with a hint of pirate thrown in.

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    In my view there are about 4 Dublin accents.
    The skanger/ junkie accent which is a slurred drawl laced with expletives and accompanied by track suits and hepatitis.
    The working class Dublin accent. Ordinary joes. Expect snickers work wear and a breakfast roll

The deefer accent. Parts of the South side and DART line. The Ross o Carroll Kelly. Hollister track suit and uggs and too much fake tan. Hair back combed to within an inch of its life.

The academic. Think Mary Robinson. Staccato speech. Far too clever for you and looking for tenure. Usually too high brow to care what to wear. Expect ill fitting garb with elbow patches.
    I don't think I fit any of those, in my head I sound urbane and deep voiced but in recordings I sound like Bob Bloody Geldof.

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    I think you have missed the boat. Skin colour and race are inherent traits, unless you're Michael Jackson, and while there is a strong social aspect to accents (Take the pitmatic accent as an example. A very definite coloration between grandparents, parents and children and a strong identifiable basis for speaking how they do) where as the Dort accent is largely without that and developed affectation completely without that base. As I said earlier, the older generation of those in South Dublin, the parents of the KPMG Girl and so on don't have that stupid accent. Children have adopted it among themselves.

Absolutely, but I very much doubt anyone to the degree it happens in D4 and indeed doubt anyone would adopt what is akin to a speech impediment!

There is no class basis for it. You have kids from Galway (G4) and so on replicating it, even children from working class areas.

But, as I say, it's not solely a manifestation of middle-class South Dubliners.

[qoute]Believe it or not, people with Dort-ish accents can be sincere ,kind and law-abiding citizens sometimes
    Indeed, but they've still elected to adopt a pretty stupid accent loike.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. I have lived on the South side for a long time. My neighbors have the same middle class accents that I grew up with in Clontarf. However, when my daughter went to a local secondary some of her classmates adopted a particularly irritating Dorty accent which drove me crazy on the occasions when I encountered it. I found that it wasn't confined to the South side. Their equivalents were to be found in middle class areas all over the city.
    Worse still I met the girlfriend of a much younger colleague who had this accent despite being from Arranmore Island off Donegal.

Quote Originally Posted by discentes View Post
    So, what do the posters of P.ie think? Is the wide variation of accent in Dublin indicative of social inequality/isolation? Or do you even accept the author's premise? I'm not sure the variation is any wider than say RP in London and what is heard on Eastenders.?
    If the cliche about the Irish being the blacks of europe, and Dubliners being the blacks of Ireland, and northsiders being the blacks of Dublin is true, what accent would the blacks of Dublin speak with? The Dempsey accent, or the Deefer accent? What accent do the vast majority of Dublin politicians, celebrities, and journalists speak with? What accent do All bin men and toilet cleaners speak with?

I've noticed a number of people using street slang, such as the word ''junkie'', and ''knacker'', in order to try and separate the ''authentic working class Dubliners'', or what the Deeferists patronizing call them, ''the ordinary joes'', from the rest of the pack, and I find it somewhat peculiar how some of them accept that condescending attitude, from the what they perceive as their social betters. It's as if deep down they know they know their place, in the greater scheme of things. They know they're not quite as equal as the others. I think those people affirm what you are suggesting, more so than anything, or anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by oggy View Post
    Never heard a posh Dublin or Irish accent. Any example from tv or radio ?
    Bob Geldof.

Quote Originally Posted by Prester Jim View Post
    I don't think I fit any of those, in my head I sound urbane and deep voiced but in recordings I sound like Bob Bloody Geldof.
    I'm afraid you fall into deefer territory. Get thee to dundrum and buy uggs. Loike!

Quote Originally Posted by discentes View Post
    Cork too, btw. The second link has a clip of JRM's supraregional accent. Britain has similar with RP, but I can't imagine as scenario in America where two people who grow up in the same area and work in the same area etc., end up with accent's as wildly different as JRM and Cillian Murphy:

Jonathon Rhys Meyers and Cillian Murphy grew up in different parts of Cork. JRM's early linguistic exposure would have been in the North Side, then North Cork. CM's Douglas and Ballintemple, and his accent is precisely what you'd expect; he has a classic Pres/Christians accent, FWIW.

Now, if you DO want a comparison, it's ROG and CM. Same class in Pres. ROG's B-town special has had the mickey taken out of it for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by cathalbrugha View Post
    If the cliche about the Irish being the blacks of europe, and Dubliners being the blacks of Ireland, and northsiders being the blacks of Dublin is true, what accent would the blacks of Dublin speak with? The Dempsey accent, or the Deefer accent? What accent do the vast majority of Dublin politicians, celebrities, and journalists speak with? What accent do All bin men and toilet cleaners speak with?

I've noticed a number of people using street slang, such as the word ''junkie'', and ''knacker'', in order to try and separate the ''authentic working class Dubliners'', or what the Deeferists patronizing call them, ''the ordinary joes'', from the rest of the pack, and I find it somewhat peculiar how some of them accept that condescending attitude, from the what they perceive as their social betters. It's as if deep down they know they know their place, in the greater scheme of things. They know they're not quite as equal as the others. I think those people affirm what you are suggesting, more so than anything, or anyone else.
    Nope got it all wrong. Ordinary dubs separate themselves from the skanger class because they are scourge on humanity. We don't feel inferior to deefers. We pity them to a certain extent. The zombies walking the streets of Dublin screaming at each other in slow motion cannot be called working class because most of them think work refers to the equipment they use to shoot up in public.
    Last edited by firefly123; 16th December 2013 at 09:29 PM.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment