Register to Comment
Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree207Likes

Death of the 'Deefer' Accent?

Here's one of those interesting little stories:

'D4 dort accent will disappear after economic crisis', says language expert

A leading expert on language, diction and vocabulary believes that the 'affected D4' accent, referring to the distinct pronunciation of people on the 'DART line' will soon disappear.

"This absurdly affected speech will probably disappear in the aftermath of the financial turmoil," he explained on Morning Ireland on RTE Radio One.

"The D4 accent is connected with wealth, so if you're rich enough, you can pretend to be really rich through your accent.
    Read the article for yourself. His claim that the accent is affected seems accurate to me from my own experience. Several of my Dublin cousins developed that god-awful accent in their adult years, despite their own North-side origins.

I've also come across Cork and Kerry people, and others from across the state, who adopted this accent after studying and/or working in Dublin. There is a kind of snobbery among many against any regional accent and a desire to have no accent at all - the result is dort-speak or some kind of weird mid-Atlantic barbarism.

I'd be delighted if our current difficulties produced a few happy consequences (say, significant political reform - *sigh*) and if the death of this kind of contrived way of speaking was to be one of them, then all the better.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Like thats tots not going to happen, ok?

Do people really say 'Dubes'?

Yah roight.

i don't hear any evidence of a reduction in the Deefer accent in South Dublin, unfortunately. It is still used as a class marker by many

Don't wurry...we can allways play the Anglo tapes to find out whott it was really loike.

Loike.

Well after Post code, they're hardly gonna have a DB123C accent.

Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    Here's one of those interesting little stories:

'D4 dort accent will disappear after economic crisis', says language expert

Read the article for yourself. His claim that the accent is affected seems accurate to me from my own experience. Several of my Dublin cousins developed that god-awful accent in their adult years, despite their own North-side origins.

I've also come across Cork and Kerry people, and others from across the state, who adopted this accent after studying and/or working in Dublin. There is a kind of snobbery among many against any regional accent and a desire to have no accent at all - the result is dort-speak or some kind of weird mid-Atlantic barbarism.

I'd be delighted if our current difficulties produced a few happy consequences (say, significant political reform - *sigh*) and if the death of this kind of contrived way of speaking was to be one of them, then all the better.
    It would be welcome if true. I would categorise it as people finding their self respect, and getting free of the need to make utter gobsh!ts of themselves.

No idea what will replace it. The Dublin middle class will hardly start to talk like Northsiders or Westsiders.

Perhaps you might see SECD trying to sound like Wicklow.

Obviously, the author doesn't know his Dublin geography, the Dort accent is a south county affliction. I was in a video store at Glenageary roundabout which is one of the boundaries and heard both - one exit leads to Sallynoggin and regular Dublin accents, another leads to Glenageary/ Killiney, the centre of "Dortspeak"

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    Obviously, the author doesn't know his Dublin geography, the Dort accent is a south county affliction. I was in a video store at Glenageary roundabout which is one of the boundaries and heard both - one exit leads to Sallynoggin and regular Dublin accents, another leads to Glenageary/ Killiney, the centre of "Dortspeak"
    I bow to your superior wisdom!

Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    I bow to your superior wisdom!
    It was so noticeable, I almost laughed out loud

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment