Register to Comment
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree207Likes

People obsess too much about accents. Nobody questions the right of a true Dub North-sider to speak with a rich "Dub" accent, but if the poor guy is from Mount Merrion and speaks with the accent he has heard around him all his life, he gets awful stick

Even where the accent is a tad affected--the person originally comes from Kerry or somesuch---is it really that important?

Some people have a keen ear for accent, and pick it up quickly, or they may be the dramatic "O My God" type by nature, and the accent may be a harmless affectation

Life has taught me the bitter lesson that truly treacherous people rarely seem affected or over-dramatic. They often project a plain-speaking,"I speak as I find" persona---but underneath are sly, secretive, plotting..

A lot of this anti-Deefer thing may be class bitterness, resentment or begrudgery
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Never mind the Dort accent.

Think of the Dun dorks please.

Just because someone speaks in the D4 accent doesn't neccesarily mean they're wealthy, but it is a reliable indicator that they're a twat.

Scientists are trying to identify the "Douchebag Gene" but attempts to do so remain elusive, as it changes it's accent after one semester doing Orts.
    Last edited by Goa Tse; 12th October 2013 at 07:49 PM.

I'm fram Cark.

Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    I've also come across...Kerry people...who adopted this accent after studying and/or working in Dublin...
    Yeah, know a few, invariably painful types. It's like swapping a Porsche for a Lada.

The essence of good communication in clarity.

The D4 accent/Dohrtt speak could be categorised as the opposite. It is incoprehensible mumbo jumbo. The slang terms are abysmal, illogical, and indicate lack of rationality.

Michael Dee is a good example of a clear communicator. And he was born in Clare, spent a childhood in rural Limerick, and then he moved to Galway city. He is in many ways the perfect communicator in Irish public life.

How about a song "let's all talk like Michael D " ? I reckon it would be a sensation.

The shinner Mc Donald and Miriam O Callaghan are close to getting rid of that awful accent. Wow did they make me cringe !

O Callaghan has ruined my traditional 40 minutes listening to John Murray Show, can take the odd guest talking tragedy in their lives but since she replaced John it feels as if every day there is a depressing story and O Callaghan is wallowing in it

Quote Originally Posted by gatsbygirl20 View Post
    A lot of this anti-Deefer thing may be class bitterness, resentment or begrudgery
    I think people may be mixing up 2 separate accents. There is a D4 accent which comes from schools attended where there is an emphasis on correct diction. In a lot of cases, the parents have a similar background, leading to what used to be described as a posh accent.
    The Dort accent is peculiar to a small area in south county Dublin, a mixture between Dublin, England, TV American, it uses strange slang and seems to inhabit the train between Killiney and Pearse station, especially when Trinity is open.

Every child in the country now speaks with a Californian accent where every sentence is a question? And everything is OMG? Like totally?
    It's very similar to the deefer but actually more annoying? See ref: O'Callaghan, Miriam.

There is also a Dun Laoghaire accent. You hear it from older people resident in "the borough".

It means "my money is older and more genuine than yours" (you little Terenure brat).

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment