Register to Comment
Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree272Likes

Gulliver's Travels - Swift

Has it ever been translated into Irish?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by blokesbloke View Post
    I'm not talking about the odd typo or occasional mistake. Nobody is perfect. Mainly people who seem to be lazy, using text-speak for example. Some posts are a real effort to read, precisely because so little effort has gone into their writing.

So if you can't be bothered to write clearly, why should anyone bother to read what you have to say? You clearly didn't value what you wrote enough to write it carefully so it could be understood.

I appreciate this is harder for some than others, and some may have difficulties such as dyslexia. Ultimately though you either want to be understood or you don't. Clear language which follows understood rules and norms means the reader can focus on what you are saying, not how you're saying it.

Language is a means of communication. If we all follow the rules of language, we can communicate clearly without being misunderstood. That is particularly crucial when writing, as the tone of speech and facial expression is not there to assist the person you are communicating with on your meaning.

If we all make up our own rules, we are excluding people. We are effectively choosing to speak a dialect that is unique to us, which defeats the purpose of language.

Using language clearly is inclusive. Not doing so is exclusive and in some ways, disrespectful.

If someone can't be bothered to express themselves clearly, there is a certain arrogance in expecting anyone to listen...
    I was only avin a larf earlier!

I agree with you. I think people who read a lot generally have good grammar, syntax and spelling. Or notice when it is not correct.

Text speak is an abomination.

I'm not talking about the odd typo or occasional mistake. Nobody is perfect. Mainly people who seem to be lazy, using text-speak for example. Some posts are a real effort to read, precisely because so little effort has gone into their writing.

So if you can't be bothered to write clearly, why should anyone bother to read what you have to say? You clearly didn't value what you wrote enough to write it carefully so it could be understood.

I appreciate this is harder for some than others, and some may have difficulties such as dyslexia. Ultimately though you either want to be understood or you don't. Clear language which follows understood rules and norms means the reader can focus on what you are saying, not how you're saying it.

Language is a means of communication. If we all follow the rules of language, we can communicate clearly without being misunderstood. That is particularly crucial when writing, as the tone of speech and facial expression is not there to assist the person you are communicating with on your meaning.

If we all make up our own rules, we are excluding people. We are effectively choosing to speak a dialect that is unique to us, which defeats the purpose of language.

Using language clearly is inclusive. Not doing so is exclusive and in some ways, disrespectful.

If someone can't be bothered to express themselves clearly, there is a certain arrogance in expecting anyone to listen...
    FFS I dont no wot half the people r on about here n e more m8.

So if you can't be bothered to write clearly, why should anyone bother to read what you have to say? You clearly didn't value what you wrote enough to write it carefully so it could be understood....
    Reminds me of watching the documentary on the American Civil War where a lot of the narrative includes reading letters written by private soldiers, the use of language by people with little education is very impressive, we have lost a lot in the intervening years.

I don't read as much as I should anymore but in my youth I was an avid reader. I loved the classics Dickens and Austen. I loved a Tale of Two Cities and Wuthering Heights and when I first studied Shakespeare in secondary school I was enthralled by the language. It just described everything so perfectly I felt like it matched the language in my mind if that makes any sense. Kerouac and Huxley were a big influence in my teenage years. I remember reading On the Road and never wanting it to end and then it ended so abruptly and I felt a sense of grief. I'm a huge movie fan and I think it's because I love storytelling and I guess it's the easy way of doing that but there is nothing in this world to match the experience of entering the world of a good book. My partner has to read every night or he can't go to sleep but he reads thrillers and I'm not into them although I did enjoy the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series. This thread reminds me that I must start reading again.

I've heard good things about this book, the Spinning Heart by Donal Ryan. I must pick it up this week and renew my love of reading.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamLee View Post
    One more addition to the list of reading recommendations: Kinski Uncut. One of the best autobiographies I've read.
    Even Klaus admitted that was full of lies, but they were really great lies - and the truth was probably worse!

PS is your username another relic of the "beatnik obsession"?

Alone in Berlin by Hans Fallada

Known in Germany for some time but relatively unknown in the English-speaking world til recently I believe, this is an incredible novel - powerful and moving and very loosely based on a true story. Stayed with me for weeks afterwards.
    Just read that a couple of months ago - a great book!

"Unspeak" by Steven Poole.

Does that mean you're a Republican now?
    Note the colour mentioned in the title - he picked it up in error, without reading the description on the back of the jacket.

(Damn, why isn't there an "evil grin" smiley?)

The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists by Robert Tressell
    Last edited by Lara2; 18th August 2013 at 09:56 PM.

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment