Register to Comment
Page 1 of 15 123 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Gay man convicted of assault for touching woman's bum

I'm not sure what to make of this one.

UK: Gay man cleared of sexual assault having touched female police officer’s bottom in gay bar - PinkNews.co.uk

The female police officer was in a gay bar - on duty. It seems the man in question touched her posterior as a joke. Afterward, clearly regretting his actions, he apologised but was arrested for assault. In light of the fact there was no sexual intention in the 'touching' is it fair that he was convicted? If it had been a straight woman doing the touching would she have been convicted? If it was a straight woman touching a male police officer's bum - would she have been arrested? Was he convicted solely because the woman was a police officer on duty? I accept fully that people can't go around touching strangers willy nilly but given the circumstances has this man been dealt with too harshly?

the judge is quoted as saying the following:

"It was very much a misplaced joke. I’m not surprised she didn’t see the funny side of it, but it was not done in any way with any sexual intent. But it is an offence because you touched her, assaulted her without her consent. It’s a common assault.”

EDIT: Man cleared of sexual assault but convicted of common assault - as stated in link and thread title.
    Last edited by Happytolearn; 21st June 2013 at 05:20 PM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

She's a fukkin' great laugh, I'd say.

Nice bum I hear

If I touched a policeman's or policewoman's hindparts while he or she was on duty, I'd expect to be arrested, charged, and convicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Happytolearn View Post
    I'm not sure what to make of this one.

UK: Gay man cleared of sexual assault having touched female police officer’s bottom in gay bar - PinkNews.co.uk

The female police officer was in a gay bar - on duty. It seems the man in question touched her posterior as a joke. Afterward, clearly regretting his actions, he apologised but was arrested for assault. In light of the fact there was no sexual intention in the 'touching' is it fair that he was convicted? If it had been a straight woman doing the touching would she have been convicted? If it was a straight woman touching a male police officer's bum - would she have been arrested? Was he convicted solely because the woman was a police officer on duty? I accept fully that people can't go around touching strangers willy nilly but given the circumstances has this man been dealt with too harshly?

the judge is quoted as saying the following:

"It was very much a misplaced joke. I’m not surprised she didn’t see the funny side of it, but it was not done in any way with any sexual intent. But it is an offence because you touched her, assaulted her without her consent. It’s a common assault.”
    He was cleared of sexual assault and pleaded to assault. It is an assault to touch someone even of no physical harm. The definition of assault given by the judge is correct as there was no consent nor any expectation of consent to the spank.

Totally bloody stupid. What a complete waste of police time, court time and legal aid!

Quote Originally Posted by Researchwill View Post
    He was cleared of sexual assault and pleaded to assault. It is an assault to touch someone even of no physical harm. The definition of assault given by the judge is correct as there was no consent nor any expectation of consent to the spank.
    Fair enough - it just seems a little harsh. Assault conjures up images of aggression. Surely the context should be considered?

Quote Originally Posted by Shqiptar View Post
    xx
    Is that for me?

I'm confused cos the title says he was convicted but your link says he was cleared!

Which is it?!

Quote Originally Posted by Happytolearn View Post
    Is that for me?

Not if you look like your avatar. No, the post contained a high percentage of wrongness. It had to go.

Page 1 of 15 123 11 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment