Register to Comment
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39
Like Tree17Likes
  1. #1
    Schomberg Schomberg is offline
    Schomberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    13,929

    German WWII Mini-Series Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter

    The War Generation in English. Anyone seen this? Kind of a German Band of Brothers, though minus the "aren't we all great!" feeling. Got a bunch of DVDrs from a friend and just sat down to watch this today. Must say it's excellent. Much better than I'd expected to be. Three part series, each part one and half hours long. Follows a group of five friends from the outbreak of war to the end of it.

    Apparently though, it's caused a bit of trouble with the Poles, who don't appreciate the way the Germans have depicted the Armia Krajowa (as anti-Semites), I mean we all know Poles love the Jews dont they?. Some Americans have critised it saying it's trying to whitewash Nazi war crimes, which, if you've seen it, I dunno how you could say that. The Germans can't win in these situations I'd say, unless they're going to just depict every single German as a monster in anything related to the war and remove any traces of humanity from them. Off to watch the last episode. Anyone wants it, you know where to get it

    Last edited by Schomberg; 21st June 2013 at 12:04 AM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #2
    tokkie tokkie is offline
    tokkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,438

    Thanks. Will watch this.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #3
    Bleu Poppy Bleu Poppy is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,819

    Is it as good as this programme screened about 30 months ago-

    Hitler plans to Save Ireland - YouTube
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #4
    storybud1 storybud1 is offline
    storybud1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,769

    History is written by the victors, it is about time the ordinary German soldier got a break, the Nazi's infiltrated all parts of the army and a lot of younger soldiers were brainwashed like most young people that think politicians have a fooking clue what they are doing.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #5
    Biddybops Biddybops is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    38

    Close relative, now deceased, was born to Jewish father and catholic mother. They were a very wealthy family and when they were 'convinced' that they would have to serve their country the treatment they got was horrendous.
    Four men would be dispatched on duties and they would know full well that only two of them would return.
    One relative went completely mad and the one relative I did know never really wanted anything to do with the human race again.
    My children are now being made read 'the boy in the striped pyjamas' and to make mock ups of concentration camps to bring into school.
    Nothing wrong with that but with a German surname life is confusing for them!
    People see the war in a very one dimensional outlook, but when you actually talk to people who knew what happened and was there in person, you get a very different picture.
    I am very sorry that old gentleman is dead, I miss his compassion and kindness.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #6
    Mitsui2 Mitsui2 is offline
    Mitsui2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    23,745

    Quote Originally Posted by Schomberg View Post
    The War Generation in English. Anyone seen this? Kind of a German Band of Brothers, though minus the "aren't we all great!" feeling. Got a bunch of DVDrs from a friend and just sat down to watch this today. Must say it's excellent. Much better than I'd expected to be. Three part series, each part one and half hours long. Follows a group of five friends from the outbreak of war to the end of it.

    Apparently though, it's caused a bit of trouble with the Poles, who don't appreciate the way the Germans have depicted the Armia Krajowa (as anti-Semites), I mean we all know Poles love the Jews dont they?. Some Americans have critised it saying it's trying to whitewash Nazi war crimes, which, if you've seen it, I dunno how you could say that. The Germans can't win in these situations I'd say, unless they're going to just depict every single German as a monster in anything related to the war and remove any traces of humanity from them. Off to watch the last episode. Anyone wants it, you know where to get it
    I've heard great things altogether about this series and have been hoping that BBC4 or someone would pick up on it.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #7
    rainmaker rainmaker is offline
    rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    9,489

    Quote Originally Posted by Schomberg View Post
    The War Generation in English. Anyone seen this? Kind of a German Band of Brothers, though minus the "aren't we all great!" feeling. Got a bunch of DVDrs from a friend and just sat down to watch this today. Must say it's excellent. Much better than I'd expected to be. Three part series, each part one and half hours long. Follows a group of five friends from the outbreak of war to the end of it.

    Apparently though, it's caused a bit of trouble with the Poles, who don't appreciate the way the Germans have depicted the Armia Krajowa (as anti-Semites), I mean we all know Poles love the Jews dont they?. Some Americans have critised it saying it's trying to whitewash Nazi war crimes, which, if you've seen it, I dunno how you could say that. The Germans can't win in these situations I'd say, unless they're going to just depict every single German as a monster in anything related to the war and remove any traces of humanity from them. Off to watch the last episode. Anyone wants it, you know where to get it
    May never have heard of this if it hadn't been for your thread or this site - will definitely be looking for this.

    Thanks.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #8
    KongMing KongMing is offline
    KongMing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,215

    Krauts and Umlauts...what's not to love.
    Great show.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #9
    tokkie tokkie is offline
    tokkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,438

    Quote Originally Posted by storybud1 View Post
    History is written by the victors, it is about time the ordinary German soldier got a break, the Nazi's infiltrated all parts of the army and a lot of younger soldiers were brainwashed like most young people that think politicians have a fooking clue what they are doing.
    Woooooh there Horsey! The story of the German soldier needs to be told. But don't go down the route of suggesting mass brainwashing.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #10
    Schomberg Schomberg is offline
    Schomberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    13,929

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsui2 View Post
    I've heard great things altogether about this series and have been hoping that BBC4 or someone would pick up on it.
    yeah surprised that they haven't. Kept looking myself nd got tired of waiting in the end. Tried to watch the first episode on the German stations iplayer but with no English subs, it was a waste of time. Just finished the last episode. The last bit is fairly grueling. Definitely watch out for it. The Americans didn't win!

    Quote Originally Posted by rainmaker View Post
    May never have heard of this if it hadn't been for your thread or this site - will definitely be looking for this.

    Thanks.
    No worries. There's a decent torrent of it with subs, if you're into that
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment