Register to Comment
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

German WWII Mini-Series Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter

The War Generation in English. Anyone seen this? Kind of a German Band of Brothers, though minus the "aren't we all great!" feeling. Got a bunch of DVDrs from a friend and just sat down to watch this today. Must say it's excellent. Much better than I'd expected to be. Three part series, each part one and half hours long. Follows a group of five friends from the outbreak of war to the end of it.

Apparently though, it's caused a bit of trouble with the Poles, who don't appreciate the way the Germans have depicted the Armia Krajowa (as anti-Semites), I mean we all know Poles love the Jews dont they?. Some Americans have critised it saying it's trying to whitewash Nazi war crimes, which, if you've seen it, I dunno how you could say that. The Germans can't win in these situations I'd say, unless they're going to just depict every single German as a monster in anything related to the war and remove any traces of humanity from them. Off to watch the last episode. Anyone wants it, you know where to get it

Last edited by Schomberg; 21st June 2013 at 12:04 AM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Thanks. Will watch this.

Is it as good as this programme screened about 30 months ago-

Hitler plans to Save Ireland - YouTube

History is written by the victors, it is about time the ordinary German soldier got a break, the Nazi's infiltrated all parts of the army and a lot of younger soldiers were brainwashed like most young people that think politicians have a fooking clue what they are doing.

Close relative, now deceased, was born to Jewish father and catholic mother. They were a very wealthy family and when they were 'convinced' that they would have to serve their country the treatment they got was horrendous.
    Four men would be dispatched on duties and they would know full well that only two of them would return.
    One relative went completely mad and the one relative I did know never really wanted anything to do with the human race again.
    My children are now being made read 'the boy in the striped pyjamas' and to make mock ups of concentration camps to bring into school.
    Nothing wrong with that but with a German surname life is confusing for them!
    People see the war in a very one dimensional outlook, but when you actually talk to people who knew what happened and was there in person, you get a very different picture.
    I am very sorry that old gentleman is dead, I miss his compassion and kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Schomberg View Post
    The War Generation in English. Anyone seen this? Kind of a German Band of Brothers, though minus the "aren't we all great!" feeling. Got a bunch of DVDrs from a friend and just sat down to watch this today. Must say it's excellent. Much better than I'd expected to be. Three part series, each part one and half hours long. Follows a group of five friends from the outbreak of war to the end of it.

Apparently though, it's caused a bit of trouble with the Poles, who don't appreciate the way the Germans have depicted the Armia Krajowa (as anti-Semites), I mean we all know Poles love the Jews dont they?. Some Americans have critised it saying it's trying to whitewash Nazi war crimes, which, if you've seen it, I dunno how you could say that. The Germans can't win in these situations I'd say, unless they're going to just depict every single German as a monster in anything related to the war and remove any traces of humanity from them. Off to watch the last episode. Anyone wants it, you know where to get it
    I've heard great things altogether about this series and have been hoping that BBC4 or someone would pick up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Schomberg View Post

May never have heard of this if it hadn't been for your thread or this site - will definitely be looking for this.

Thanks.

Krauts and Umlauts...what's not to love.
    Great show.

Quote Originally Posted by storybud1 View Post
    History is written by the victors, it is about time the ordinary German soldier got a break, the Nazi's infiltrated all parts of the army and a lot of younger soldiers were brainwashed like most young people that think politicians have a fooking clue what they are doing.
    Woooooh there Horsey! The story of the German soldier needs to be told. But don't go down the route of suggesting mass brainwashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsui2 View Post
    I've heard great things altogether about this series and have been hoping that BBC4 or someone would pick up on it.
    yeah surprised that they haven't. Kept looking myself nd got tired of waiting in the end. Tried to watch the first episode on the German stations iplayer but with no English subs, it was a waste of time. Just finished the last episode. The last bit is fairly grueling. Definitely watch out for it. The Americans didn't win!

Quote Originally Posted by rainmaker View Post
    May never have heard of this if it hadn't been for your thread or this site - will definitely be looking for this.

Thanks.
    No worries. There's a decent torrent of it with subs, if you're into that

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment