Register to Comment
Page 139 of 180 FirstFirst ... 39 89 129137138139140141 149 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,390 of 1791
Like Tree820Likes

Quote Originally Posted by parentheses View Post
    Seems unlikely the USA will be angry with him. He apparently has a tense relationship with Christina Kirchner.

However Kirchner in turn has a tense relationship with Israel and the US and has been making friendly gestures to Iran. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. So the US should be very happy with Francis.
    I was thinking more in general terms if he starts pushing about Human Rights in Central and S America or further afield.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Bit of a bugger that the Holy Scuttler happened to alight softly on the shoulder of Frankie the Hat when the church wanted to select a Latin American. And it turns out he might have the reputation of a Brady in a large section of Latin America.

Holy Scuttler is pushing it. Must be getting Damascene visions of getting his P45 and losing the position as HR Director-Earth Operations.

Poor old Scuttler. It must be worse than Fas.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    I was thinking more in general terms if he starts pushing about Human Rights in Central and S America or further afield.
    I don't think there is much to it, especially since Perez Esquivel, a Nobel Prize winner and one of the regimes fiercest critics, has defended him and said he was not in collaboration with the regime. It is a smear job.
    El Nobel de la Paz Prez Esquivel defiende al Papa durante la dictadura | elmundo.es

Though that is not to say that there were not plenty in the Church who were definitely supportive of the regime.

This article may (or may not) offer some insight into how the election played out.
    The story behind Pope Francis

What happened, in short, is that during the first “shake out” ballot on Tuesday evening, Bergoglio’s name drew a surprising number of votes, suddenly putting him out there as a potential candidate.

“Cardinal Bergoglio wouldn’t have become pope in the fifth ballot if he had not been a really strong contender for the papacy from the beginning,” Austrian Cardinal Christoph Schoenborn told reporters.
    So it seems he got off to a good start.

There were those who wanted a pope who would reform the Roman Curia, the papal bureaucracy — and preferably someone from outside Europe to represent the church’s demographic shift to the Southern Hemisphere. Then there were the electors who wanted to defend the Curia, and they were joined by some who also hoped to keep the papacy in Europe, or even return it to an Italian................................

According to La Repubblica, an Italian daily with good sources in the Vatican, Washington’s Cardinal Donald Wuerl played a key role in rallying the Americans to Bergoglio, and they were followed by European bishops such as Vingt-Trois.

As Bergoglio gained steam, Scola’s fortunes continued to decline, thanks also to “ancient envies and rivalries,” as La Stampa’s Giacomo Galeazzi put it, among the 28 Italian electors – a bloc far larger than any other country’s, but also more fractious and “inexorably hostile to Scola.”
    So the Italians split, and the Europeans and Americans rallied to Bergoglio.

Wonder how accurate it is. Anyway, that's the most detailed account I have read.

What an unreliable Source!

The US did as little as it could to give encouragement to the Dictators but felt that it could not allow Communism to take over Argentina either

Remmeber Jimmy Carter was POTUS for most of this time and he was not exactly their biggest fan!

I would say Reagan was more Blase though...

The Military Regime was very brutal though - so were their opponents in the Communist Guerrilla gangs who did their own fair share of Dirty Deeds

The Church was between a Rock and a Hard Place on this one

Overall they steered their way through those terrible times

- and came out the other end without alienating the Faithful

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    Yes that might cause tension. Early days yet however.

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpast View Post
    What an unreliable Source!

The US did as little as it could to give encouragement to the Dictators but felt that it could not allow Communism to take over Argentina either

Remmeber Jimmy Carter was POTUS for most of this time and he was not exactly their biggest fan!

I would say Reagan was more Blase though...

The Military Regime was very brutal though - so were their opponents in the Communist Guerrilla gangs who did their own fair share of Dirty Deeds

The Church was between a Rock and a Hard Place on this one

Overall they steered their way through those terrible times

- and came out the other end without alienating the Faithful
    It was a dark time all across South and Central America, and in the Argentina even a Bishop was murdered. I still think they should have put up more public resistance but that's an awful long way from thinking Bergoglio did anything wrong. I think the fact that those two priests walked out alive at all when so many didn't is a fair indication that there was behind-the-scenes intervention at play.

Quote Originally Posted by stopdoingstuff View Post
    It was a dark time all across South and Central America, and in the Argentina even a Bishop was murdered. I still think they should have put up more public resistance but that's an awful long way from thinking Bergoglio did anything wrong. I think the fact that those two priests walked out alive at all when so many didn't is a fair indication that there was behind-the-scenes intervention at play.
    Indeed

I think that as the Pope was also such a prominent figure in the Argentine Hierarchy for so long that if there was anything that was going to stick

- it would have stuck long ago....

Must say as an Atheist his approach to things as pope have impressed me, seems pretty down to earth, Liked to read he slipped off to see a friend of his hospital despite all that what going on! Wish him all the best he'll need it!

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment