Register to Comment
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree437Likes

His generation have a right to despise the establishment, just like the generations before him and the generations now and in the future.....they collectively failed and deserve to be treated with abhorrence.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Bob is spot on, much to the irritation or some idiot people in ireland. this is a banana republic! a comedy country.....

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Peaks View Post
    So what?
    Probably not - he had the good sense to go to a properly governed country and make a very successful life for himself rather than stay and pay taxes to underwrite a self serving dysfunctional, dishonest, wasteful State apparatus. He said it 30 years ago and he is saying it again now - and he is right, little has changed as I unfortunately discovered too late having come back from a successful life abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWexfordInn View Post
    Ill listen to the podcast but from the sound of it he is saying the same things he said on the Late Late show 30 odd years ago. I think whatever shock he might cause now is nothing compared to the reaction he got back then.
    True enough, Gay Byrne was apoplectic, I remember it well.

Quote Originally Posted by friendlyfire View Post
    His generation have a right to despise the establishment, just like the generations before him and the generations now and in the future.....they collectively failed and deserve to be treated with abhorrence.
    Don't worry FF will be voted in in the next election and things will change......

Might listen to that. He's an interesting character.

I wonder how successful he would have been had he stayed here? The negativity and begrudgery is a big part of the problem here as well as all the rest of it. He'd have been torn to shreds had he stayed.

Chorus:

Banana Republic
    Septic Isle
    Screaming in the suffering sea
    It sounds like crying
    Everywhere I go yeah
    Everywhere I see
    The black and blue uniforms
    Police and priests

And I wonder do you wonder
    While you're sleeping with your whore
    That sharing beds with history
    Is like a-licking running sores
    Forty shades of green yeah
    Sixty shades of red
    Heroes going cheap these days
    Price; a bullet in the head

chorus

Take your hand and lead you
    Up a garden path
    Let me stand aside here
    And watch you pass
    Striking up a soldier's song
    I know that tune
    It begs too many questions
    And answers to,

chorus

The purple and the pinstripe
    Mutely shake their heads
    A silense shrieking volumes
    A violence worse than the condemn
    Stab you in the back yeah
    Laughing in your face
    Glad to see the place again
    It's a pitty nothing's changed

chorus

The Rats produced three pretty decent albums ('The Boomtown Rats' [1977], 'Tonic for the Troops' [1978] and 'the Fine Art of Surfacing' [1979])

Between all six of their albums, I reckon there are 7 or 8 memorable songs.

Their career at the top of the pop charts lasted about three years.

I think Sir Bob has grossly over-inflated notions of his/their significance in the history of popular music.

I think he is completely deluded in his assessment of their socio-political impact on Ireland!

Sir Bob droning on about Ireland's and the world's problems would send me to sleep, if I listened to him for more than a couple of minutes. I have far more respect for, and pay far more attention to, e.g., Vincent de Paul volunteers who have actually tried to do something to alleviate the suffering that Sir Bob delights in blah-blahing about.

Sir Bob opted to move to a different country, had children named Pineapple and Pomegranate (whatever!!), and became a Knight of the British Empire. He pays occasional fleeting visits to Ireland, but loves living in London (and I agree with him that it's a great place to live). I wish him the best. But I look elsewhere for inspiration and insight into Ireland's ills and possible remedies. Sir Bob was always about 'lookin' after #1', even when he was at his crusading best.

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Peaks View Post
    True enough, Gay Byrne was apoplectic, I remember it well.
    Was that before or after Gaybo lost his life savings???

Quote Originally Posted by darkknight View Post
    The Rats produced three pretty decent albums ('The Boomtown Rats' [1977], 'Tonic for the Troops' [1978] and 'the Fine Art of Surfacing' [1979])

Between all six of their albums, I reckon there are 7 or 8 memorable songs.

Their career at the top of the pop charts lasted about three years.

I think Sir Bob has grossly over-inflated notions of his/their significance in the history of popular music.

I think he is completely deluded in his assessment of their socio-political impact on Ireland!

Sir Bob droning on about Ireland's and the world's problems would send me to sleep, if I listened to him for more than a couple of minutes. I have far more respect for, and pay far more attention to, e.g., Vincent de Paul volunteers who have actually tried to do something to alleviate the suffering that Sir Bob delights in blah-blahing about.

Sir Bob opted to move to a different country, had children named Pineapple and Pomegranate (whatever!!), and became a Knight of the British Empire. He pays occasional fleeting visits to Ireland, but loves living in London (and I agree with him that it's a great place to live). I wish him the best. But I look elsewhere for inspiration and insight into Ireland's ills and possible remedies. Sir Bob was always about 'lookin' after #1', even when he was at his crusading best.

Yeah, that whole Live Aid thing, load of cobblers.

Yer right, he'll just be remembered for being a mediocre musician, just like Midge Ure.

The cheek of him, being instrumental in the saving of millions of lives and then having the temerity to lecture others, tut tut.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpydunphy View Post
    Was that before or after Gaybo lost his life savings???
    Before his First Impoverishment at the hands of Russell Murphy.

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment