Register to Comment
Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 34 ... LastLast
Like Tree199Likes

Quote Originally Posted by asset test View Post
    I'm a real book person myself. I Like the heft, and the knowledge that there is just so much more, or so little, to go in a book I'm reading.

Anyhow. Hate the idea of kindles. Has anyone been converted yet?

My sis got the paperwhite one. And having registered, now realises she can only buy from the US site. Which means many titles from here are non existent!

Anyone had that?
    Not a problem normally.

Has she an Amazon UK account?

Register device on Amazon UK site, you/she may need to de-register first on the amazon.co.uk site, probably set up for US by default.......

look here for instructions, and help....official amazon.co.uk Kindle Paperwhite Help site

Amazon.co.uk Help: Quick Guide to Kindle Paperwhite

EDIT: This can now be bought from Amazon.co.uk [click link]

and free delivery to Ireland, for 109 [127].
    Last edited by irishpancake; 16th February 2013 at 05:52 PM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by irishpancake View Post
    Not a problem normally.

Has she an Amazon UK account?

Register device on Amazon UK site, you/she may need to de-register first on the amazon.co.uk site, probably set up for US by default.......

look here for instructions, and help....official amazon.co.uk Kindle Paperwhite Help site

Amazon.co.uk Help: Quick Guide to Kindle Paperwhite

EDIT: This can now be bought from Amazon.co.uk, and free delivery to Ireland, for 109 [€127].
    Thanks I'll tell her that. She got the kindle as a birthday prez, but is a bit like me, unconverted!

And unless she can get the books over here, will throw the kindle in the bin I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsui2 View Post
    I know.
    That's my weekend ruined!

Thanks I'll tell her that. She got the kindle as a birthday prez, but is a bit like me, unconverted!

And unless she can get the books over here, will throw the kindle in the bin I'd say.
    She don't want it, I can give you my name and addy, and a stamp....

found this old thing hangin around here....must be worth summtin

BTW, paperwhite is such a naff name, sounds more like paperweight, as I suppose you could use it for.....

Quote Originally Posted by chef35 View Post
    There's nothing nicer than visiting your local bookshop, you always go in with an idea in mind of what you want, but always come out with something better, imo.
    Absolutely.

Amazon and online shopping have been discussed before on another thread with the general consensus being that it was a good thing, I demurred and got told that that I was, well you know, a bit backward, or words to that effect.

I've just ordered a used book from the crowd because it was out of print and the local bookseller couldn't get it, but I'd rather not of. For new books Amazon are rarely cheaper and at least I'm buying local and it can be just as quick.

The trouble with outfits like Amazon, Google, Facebook et al, is that they get so big then begin to believe they are untouchable, and who's to say they are wrong?

Navan had a brilliant local bookshop, Bookwise, which also had an internet shop. It was doing well up until the recession.

It closed, not because of Amazon, but because Easons opened up a shop nearer the main town shopping centre.

It also suffered competition (so I heard) from the charity shops, where people dump their cheap paperbacks bought at Easons.

So don't blame the woes of the small shops solely on Amazon, which makes more of a profit from other items besides books.

PS I have a kindle, not because I think it is brilliant, but it provides a means of getting access to cheap books and periodicals. I still buy printed books for topics in which I am particularly interested.

A few weeks ago I collected a book parcel at our local postal depot. From what I could see, over 50% of the packages there were from Amazon. At least it is keeping An Post in business.

Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    A few weeks ago I collected a book parcel at our local postal depot. From what I could see, over 50% of the packages there were from Amazon. At least it is keeping An Post in business.
    Amazon has started a pick-up point network partly because many people can no longer have any parcels delivered to their workplace.

I was returning a book to Amazon at my local post office and the man there said I could not return it via the PO; it had to go to somewhere else. I went home and checked this online, found that I had to return it via the pick-up point which was two shops down from the local post office.

If the post office man had told me this, I would have felt sorry for him losing the business. He has not earned any sympathy from me at all.
    Last edited by gracethepirate; 16th February 2013 at 07:34 PM.

I'm a real book person myself. I Like the heft, and the knowledge that there is just so much more, or so little, to go in a book I'm reading.

Anyhow. Hate the idea of kindles. Has anyone been converted yet?

My sis got the paperwhite one. And having registered, now realises she can only buy from the US site. Which means many titles from here are non existent!

Anyone had that?
    Totally agree, a book is a worthy object in itself. The weight, the feel and realisation that you hold the work of a thinking person (generally) is simply not compensated for by the mere cheap convenience of a screen.

The missus has a kindle which she uses a lot but then she's into novels rather than non fiction although I don't know whether that makes any difference or not. I've tried it but am not a fan. Interesting to note that once downloaded you cannot actually delete a book from Kindle, instead, the books you have are noted on a database somewhere as are all the ones you looked at but may not have bought. I kinda find that spooky, its the same as having someone following you round a bookshop with a notepad.

Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 34 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment