Register to Comment
Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 34 ... LastLast
Like Tree192Likes

That story sounds like bollox.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Fides View Post
    I use a Kindle mostly now. Very happy with it. Particularly for holidays, I used to bring 5 or 6 books with me and with all the weight restrictions Kindle keeps my bags lighter. You also have access to the full range of an author's titles which most bookshops don't have. Overall I find the Kindle cheaper.

And yes all my books are bought in US Dollars but hasn't been an issue so far.
    Do you not miss the touchy feely of a book and the reminder of how good they were every time you see them on your shelves?

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    That story sounds like bollox.
    Without actually looking into it, I'm tempted to agree with you, which is bad news for you, but I also like the style of your post, it reminds me of something I can't quite put my finger on at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by tonic View Post
    Do you not miss the touchy feely of a book and the reminder of how good they were every time you see them on your shelves?
    A bit. Not enough shelves for my books anyway! Practicalities mean the printed book is dead for certain types of books.

You can also get a lot of books mainly classics for free.

Quote Originally Posted by dizillusioned View Post
    When you get a company of amazons size there are always going to be labour issues. Costs are cut to the bone and staff are the ultimate loosers, especially in a distribution environment.

Funny how Germany is the location as I would have thought workers rights were paramount on our Shining light of all that is European?
    Only while in Europe it would seem. In the case of a famous brewery in the USA with German origins - as they mostly are - the head honcho was so unpopular with employees he ended up in a vat of his own brew. A chap called Adolph Coors.

Quote Originally Posted by Fides View Post
    A bit. Not enough shelves for my books anyway! Practicalities mean the printed book is dead for certain types of books.

You can also get a lot of books mainly classics for free.
    I have read some great stuff simply because it's free.

I like books, I like bookshops, but I also like my kindle and amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    That's my weekend ruined!
    You have an infant in the house - your weekend was hopefully out of your control anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by tonic View Post
    Without actually looking into it, I'm tempted to agree with you, which is bad news for you, but I also like the style of your post, it reminds me of something I can't quite put my finger on at the moment.
    Fianna Fáil's final shreds of integrity, perhaps?

you can't beat a good bookshop. We had one in Birr but it closed, rent or rates were an issue. There is a bookshop attached to a supermarket but you couldn't browse there, it is not a peaceful place. Yes, Amazon has everything and its where I buy my books now, but its not the same. I would rather a shop any day.

It came to my attention lately that O Brien Press have a huge variety of stuff especially kids stuff and they are Irish. Browse and buy books from The O'Brien Press, Ireland's Leading Independent Publisher

I used to use Borders in Glasgow when I lived there. That is a seriously good bookshop. Not sure if it is still there.

In Derry there was a bookshop called Bookworm which unfortunately is only a cafe now. That was a brilliant bookshop with really knowledgeable staff. I think it is a disaster that bookshop is gone.

Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 34 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment