Register to Comment
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Con Gallagher View Post
    http://www.dttas.ie/uploads/document...20Projects.pdf

What did Islandeady Clay Pigeon shooting club do to justify its 10k?

Who decides these? What is the criteria? Could a minister do a Reilly on it and move up projects in his constituency? (In fairness to Michael Ring, that does not appear to be the case from this list)
    A certain Stool Pigeon hails from that part of the West. Keep it in the family and all that.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by sic transit View Post
    Isn't the idea to make all interfaces between the public and Govt simple? Imagine it's a lot more complicated than that and past experience with other official grants suggests lots of hoops to jump through.
    There is a lot of hoops in 10,000 or should we call them Rings. Clay Pigeons my ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom View Post
    Only if you can convince the powers that be and Brendan Howlin that the water in the swimming pool is so cold that a valid case exists for the payment of a hypothermia allowance.
    Ah, yes - I'd forgotten about the wet-suit allowance, not really claimed with any union effort since 1965.

But what about my hair? Can I claim a conditioning treatment due to the chlorine? And if not, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    Yes - simple - fair and transparent. Shouldn't all three boxes be ticked otherwise we have newspaper headings like this ....

Revealed: Surge in Lotto cash grants for Kenny's home base - National News - Independent.ie

From what you've linked there doesn't seem to be a criteria (pesky word that) from which the lucky duckys are selected for dosh.

Who ultimately makes the decision? A board of directors or the Minister?
    Why are you asking me? Why don't you do a bit of your own research?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackass View Post
    There is a lot of hoops in €10,000 or should we call them Rings. Clay Pigeons my ass.
    Any sports organisation/club can apply. One would hope that prejudices like this are not part of the process.

Quote Originally Posted by sic transit View Post
    Any sports organisation/club can apply. One would hope that prejudices like this are not part of the process.
    Would hope so, remember in our area when the FF'ers was in power, a comunity nearby got a grant for a comunity centre and the local FF counciler came out and said it was a reconition for the great supp ort the area had given to FF over the yeaars

Why are they providing funding of circa 143k for private sports, leisure and gym clubs that are clearly being run as a business and who charge private gym fees of 405 for an individual,710 for a couple, and 1,050 for a family in addition to generating income from pay-by-use and the use of the facilities for functions?

Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom View Post
    Can't speak for Suttonians, although I'd wager that they're not on the breadline. However both of my kids played mini-rugby for Malahide RFC so I'm reasonably familiar with the setup. The club did a handy land swap with a developer about a decade ago and got a new clubhouse, floodlights and top notch pitches down at the Estuary. In fact so good are the new facilities that Leinster have held a one or two training sessions there.
    They have those, but those all require upkeep. That's the problem for a lot of clubs in what might be described as commuter-belt towns; new numbers require capital expenditure, which takes all the cash and leaves you with nothing for upkeep. Often, it's a case of, "If you build it, hope to Jesus they come." In that regard, I note Bandon, Youghal, Highfield and Midleton all got grants, and I would say rightly so. My own club, having a Minister member, got nahtin'...

Finances in clubs generally are ropy enough. Several D4 clubs who one would think are loaded are barely escaping bankruptcy.

Quote Originally Posted by Con Gallagher View Post
    26m Sports Grants announced for capital spending: what catches your eye and what's missing?
    The fact that we have to borrow the money from the IMF ?

Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    More money for circuses.
    While I am loathe to waste the bandwith, you know these are facilities for people to play sport and do excercise. Which is generally a good thing. Its not as if Wayne Rooney is getting a cheque.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment