Register to Comment
Page 1 of 24 123 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Archbishop of Dublin Wants To Get Rid Of Extravagance Surrounding Communion Ceremonies

The Catholic Archbishop of Dublin Diarmuid Martin plans to get rid of the garishness that accompanies First Holy Communion ceremonies in his archdiocese:

Archbishop Martin said: "I believe that there's something wrong with extravagance. First communion has to be something simple and I think we have to try and keep to that. It's up to every parish then to decide what way they go about that so there isn't that sort of expense. One should be very clearly looking at the amount of money spent on outfits and sometimes transport and partying as well.

"Parishes should encourage people to celebrate the sacrament with the simplicity and authenticity which will help the child to fully understand the mystery of the Eucharist."
    Archbishop plans communion changes - National News, Breaking News - Independent.ie

I guess that means no more after parties at Lake Tahoe then?

The criminal fraternity who like their baptisms, communions, weddings and especially funerals won't be too pleased will they?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Will anyone listen to him though?
    Even people who I thought were quite sensible about this sort of thing seem to have got caught up in the extravagant charade.
    A lot of pressure from the grannies involved.

Good thing my kids won't be going near it.

another positive step imho

Mr Martin should have a look in the mirror first .

Quote Originally Posted by eyelight View Post
    Will anyone listen to him though?
    Even people who I thought were quite sensible about this sort of thing seem to have got caught up in the extravagant charade.
    A lot of pressure from the grannies involved.

Good thing my kids won't be going near it.
    My friends son got €1500 recently in his communion cards, I take it your kids won't hold it against you!

Excellent idea. I truly agree with him.

Won't work, though. Kids will troop into the church in a basic uniform and then go home to change into something flash.

I agree with him wholeheartedly, though.

Over here, the kids all wear a simple linen smock with a cross on it.

When the ceremony is done they either go home for meal or they may go to a communal fete in the local hall.

I was quite impressed four or five years ago when on a rare trip home I was having a beer in the Kestrel Bar one afternoon. (The Kestrel is/was on Walkinstown Roundabout). The manager took a call at the bar from a family who wanted to book some tables for food and drink after the First Communion ceremony for their daughter the following Saturday.

He got increasingly annoyed during the call before adamantly refusing. Seems they wanted the tables from 3 to 9 or 10 that night.

He was furious after he'd hung up explaining to us that the parties come in and the kids are essentially forgotten about on what should be a huge day for them. The kids ended up being ignored and running wild, while the parents all loaded up on the beers before the mother and father fighting over who should bring them home.

I've long since rescinded the religion I was brought up in, but I can recognise that for adherents the day needs to be treated with some respect grater than that shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea Party Patriot View Post
    My friends son got €1500 recently in his communion cards, I take it your kids won't hold it against you!
    That is simply obscene.

Was there ny suggestion of giving it to charity?

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch 22 View Post
    The criminal fraternity who like their baptisms, communions, weddings and especially funerals won't be too pleased will they?
    You wouldn't be speaking of those less fortunates who have a different culture to the rest of us which includes beating the crap out of each other at baptisms, communions, weddings and especially funerals would you boss? At least they have all got top of the range vehicles to get em to hospital and medical cards to cover the treatment god love em!

Quote Originally Posted by Northsideman View Post
    You wouldn't be speaking of those less fortunates who have a different culture to the rest of us which includes beating the crap of of each other at baptisms, communions, weddings and especially funerals would you boss? At least they have all got top of the range vehicles to get em to hospital and medical cards to cover the treatment god love em!
    The Corleones?

First Holy Communions and Christmas have both been nonsense for as long as I can remember. Cromwell made the right move in abolishing Christmas.
    The poor spend fortunes and borrow money they do not have to doll up for a day. The travellers are only a step further along this idiotic road.

Good news but it will not work.

Page 1 of 24 123 11 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment