Register to Comment
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 910111213 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

The Church are right to reclaim First Communion as a religious occasion rather than the cultural thing it has become. To be perfectly honest my children shouldn't have been allowed make their communion. They never go to Mass.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by im axeled View Post
    will he arrange for them to recieve it in their school uniforms, to me it is a fashion parade, not only for the kids either.
    In France and Italy they wear white robes which are the property of the school or church.

That said, the celebrations afterwards are like weddings.

Quote Originally Posted by Angler View Post
    Mr Martin should have a look in the mirror first .
    Angler, though I agree with his move you are absolutely right. The lads in the gunas are all a bit much. Cardinal Martini was right. We have a new breed of young priest now who prefers prancing in a soutane or a habit and poring over canon law to getting out and doing a day's work with the heartbroken and the forgotten. And who can forget that image of our bishops in full regalia bending to kiss the papal ring that time after their summons to Rome.

Agree with Archbishop. Hope parents do.

My neighbor's son invited us to his confirmation. A blatant attempt to tap us for the expected min 50 gift - given that we are the anti-catholic atheist gays next door. But always up for for a party we accepted.

Instead of money we gave the young man a copy of the New Jerusalem Bible - as I had noted previously that there wasn't a bible in the house, and it's a nice translation, on the whole.

Obviously was furious!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornerman View Post
    My neighbor's son invited us to his confirmation. A blatant attempt to tap us for the expected min 50 gift - given that we are the anti-catholic atheist gays next door. But always up for for a party we accepted.

Instead of money we gave the young man a copy of the New Jerusalem Bible - as I had noted previously that there wasn't a bible in the house, and it's a nice translation, on the whole.

Obviously was furious!!
    Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by MariaMcN View Post
    That women still perform the vast majority of domestic chores, like cooking and tending to others, is the fault of men not Catholicism.
    Never mind the back-chat Mary, where's my feckin' tea???

Why not just abolish first communion. Let the little sprogs pop up for a piece of complressed stale bread at any age they want.

Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
    Why not just abolish first communion. Let the little sprogs pop up for a piece of complressed stale bread at any age they want.

Problem solved.
    We will pray for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MariaMcN View Post
    I don't see why not. If Communions have to be an understated affair shouldn't Catholic weddings be equally understated?
    Because there is a different theology around the sacrament. Because it's not children getting married, but adults who can make their own, rational, decisions and pay for it themselves. And because it's a complete non-sequitur: my dog may have four legs, my cat may have four legs, but that doesn't mean my cat should bark and answer to "Fido".

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 910111213 21 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment