Register to Comment
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Enshrine it in our constitution. It's our link to 1916 and to the foundation of our state.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

The Copyright and Related Rights Act, 2000 set the limit at death + 70. This implements various EU directives, enumerated in the long title of the Act, as follows:
    O.J. No. L.122, 17/5/1991, p. 42
    O.J. No. L.346, 27/11/1992, p. 61
    O.J. No. L.290, 24/11/1993, p. 9
    O.J. No. L.248, 6/10/1993, p. 13
    O.J. No. L.077, 27/3/1996, p. 20
    I'm not sure whether those EU directives would allow the state to make an exception for the national anthem. If so, it would probably need an amending Act of the Oireachtas to implement it.

Only very recently TG4 broadcast a programme about Amhrán na bhFiann presented by Harry McGee. I'm surprised you did not mention it ruserious, since you have an interest in the National Anthem. The programme is still available to watch on the TG4 player though, in case you missed it.

In anyway, according to the show, Amhrán na bhFiann comes from the same musical tradition as Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance, everyone in the country thinks Ireland's Call is rubbish, George Hook will chain himself to the gates of Leinster House if Amhrán na bhFiann is dropped, and Fintan O'Toole is a fan of O'Neill's March. Other suggestions for a new anthem included Amhrán Dóchais, Mo Ghile Mear, or a completely new creation altogether.

Have to say, if there is to be a new anthem I'd have no problem with Amhrán Dóchais or O'Neill's March as they are both fine pieces of music.

go for something new and relevant...Sloop John B...

Quote Originally Posted by Dasayev View Post
    Only very recently TG4 broadcast a programme about Amhrán na bhFiann presented by Harry McGee. I'm surprised you did not mention it ruserious, since you have an interest in the National Anthem. The programme is still available to watch on the TG4 player though, in case you missed it.

In anyway, according to the show, Amhrán na bhFiann comes from the same musical tradition as Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance, everyone in the country thinks Ireland's Call is rubbish, George Hook will chain himself to the gates of Leinster House if Amhrán na bhFiann is dropped, and Fintan O'Toole is a fan of O'Neill's March. Other suggestions for a new anthem included Amhrán Dóchais, Mo Ghile Mear, or a completely new creation altogether.

Have to say, if there is to be a new anthem I'd have no problem with Amhrán Dóchais or O'Neill's March as they are both fine pieces of music.
    Thanks for that. Amhrán Dóchais already has an official status as the salute for An Taoiseach.
    O'Neills March is a nice tune but I dunno would it suffice as a National Anthem being too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    go for something new and relevant...Sloop John B...
    New and relevant he says. You must be a least 70. Sorry as for coming home to us. I'll take some, but not all of u.

I'd like the music to remain as is, but I'd support changing the lyrics, including removing any reference to 'Sinne Fianna Fail' irrespective of the context.

It just adds insult to injury hearing the words sung whilst surveying the economic wasteland they've bequeathed to us.

'Betrayed by Fianna Fail' is the only opening to the anthem that warrants keeping the words 'Fianna Fail' in, imho!

Quote Originally Posted by EUrJokingMeRight View Post
    I'd like the music to remain as is, but I'd support changing the lyrics, including removing any reference to 'Sinne Fianna Fail' irrespective of the context.

It just adds insult to injury hearing the words sung whilst surveying the economic wasteland they've bequeathed to us.

'Betrayed by Fianna Fail' is the only opening to the anthem that warrants keeping the words 'Fianna Fail' in, imho!
    Sinne IMF, atá faoi gheall ag EMU......

Quote Originally Posted by stakerwallace View Post
    Sinne IMF, atá faoi gheall ag EMU......
    Or what he said!

Quote Originally Posted by EUrJokingMeRight View Post
    Or what he said!
    Slashing through the debt,
    In a German frame of mind,
    O'er the people we go,
    Laughing all the way (hah hah hah)