Register to Comment
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

The Playboy Mansion in the late 70s and early to mid 80s.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Knapaghbeg View Post
    Ireland 1998 to 2008.

I could have made and saved a fortune with hindsight.
    You'd have made even more with foresight.

Quote Originally Posted by RottenBorough View Post
    The battery would be long dead by the time things got interesting. Focus!
    Idiot! I'd obviously bring the charger! D'uh!.....

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    The Playboy Mansion in the late 70s and early to mid 80s.
    Lots of nylon and hair...

Quote Originally Posted by NewGoldDream View Post
    would that be?

I mean, if you could have say lived for one decade anywhere else in the world outside Ireland at any time over the millennia, what would you pick? Assuming - before people all say about how poverty was rife in such and such a place - that you were of say what we now label the middle class, I don't think anyone would settle for starving in China during the Boxer Rebellion.

I think I would pick America in the 1950s. There must have been something quite exciting, home appliances were making life easier, people had access to cars and television, people had access to education, it seemed like a whirl of rock n roll and bobbysocks and diners. Though that would have to be tempered by one obvious requirement, that is that one would have to be Caucasian to enjoy those benefits.

I know people might go for Austria or Paris when philosophers clashed in cafés, but my other choice would be very lowbrow. London, England, 1985-1995. I suspect some here may have toiled in England at that time and might laugh. But would love to have been there when dance and house music exploded and before the clampdown on raves. Every weekend must have been a whirl.
    Anywhere at any time but yet you pick...

1. America in the 1950s. Anglosphere in the last 60 years. ie Modern Anglosphere culture.

2. London in the 80s/90s, ie Modern Anglosphere culture.

Aproximately 3000 years of recorded history, modern humans on the planet for a multpile of that, thousands of cultures, thousands of languages, and you pick two recent examples from what is effectively your own culture, in what is effectively the last few years.

Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome, the Incas, the Mayans, the Mongol Horders, the Byzantine empire, the Moorish empire.

The Anglocentric obsession with its own modern culture is depressing. The failure to recognise that it is just a blip in history (like every other culture) is frankly mind boggling.

D

Quote Originally Posted by DuineEile View Post

1. America in the 1950s. Anglosphere in the last 60 years. ie Modern Anglosphere culture.

Aproximately 3000 years of recorded history, modern humans on the planet for a multpile of that, thousands of cultures, thousands of languages, and you pick two recent examples from what is effectively your own culture, in what is effectively the last few years.

Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome, the Incas, the Mayans, the Mongol Horders, the Byzantine empire, the Moorish empire.

The Anglocentric obsession with its own modern culture is depressing. The failure to recognise that it is just a blip in history (like every other culture) is frankly mind boggling.

D
    indeed, i would have liked to have seen Thebes Sacred Band swinging their handbags or Archimedes getting his toe stuck in the tap...

Quote Originally Posted by DuineEile View Post

D
    I guess the problem with hypothetical time-travel any further back than 100 years is that before a person would have the opportunity to experience their preferred historical culture, they'd be killed off by war, famine or disease. With those caveats, London between 1963-73 seems to be the height of popular culture, but if you could somehow insulate yourself against contamination, then Ancient Greece in the 4th century B.C. would be an interesting experience.

Seriously though, Ireland during Brehon times, before Irish Christianity was linked to Armagh and Rome.

And back (for 10 minutes only) to 1978, to take that first fag I ever smoked and stamp on it, and give myself a good talking to.

San Francisco or London in 1967
    Working with Henry Ford or Thomas Edison in the late 19th Century.
    And any of the peaceful enlightening eras in the Far East over the past 3,000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rural View Post
    Seriously though, Ireland during Brehon times, before Irish Christianity was linked to Armagh and Rome.
    Irish Christianity was always linked to Rome. The view of pre-Whitby Celtic Christianity as somehow its own creation is utterly unhistorical. The people of that time would not recognise such a description. The primacy of the Bishop of Rome was unquestioned.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment