Register to Comment
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Like Tree97Likes

Quote Originally Posted by cuiseogach View Post
    Seán Ó Ríordáin more to the fore in my mind. She played a big part in sending him to the grave and only apologised when the man was dying. All out of jealousy as he was the better person and the better writer.

P.S yeah I only wrote in Irish due to Con Gallagher's message. I wouldn't otherwise just post in Irish at random. And the only reason I have Irish is because I put lots of time into it, most worthwhile thing I've ever done, or will do, I think!
    Fair play to you. Though I see the Seán Ó Ríordáin / Máire Mhac an tSaoi dispute long predated Aósdana and Seán passed in 1977, before Aósdana was a gleam in the Squire's eye.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I believe artists must be judged by their work and not their behaviour but I accept that others don't agree! That said, Ó Ríordáin was clearly superior to her as a poet.

To return to the main topic, I have heard that Aosdána is a bit of an old boys' and girls' club and that much schmoozing in the right circles is required to become a member. Then again, most exclusive groups are afflicted by that sort of dynamic - better to have some mediocre artists receive subsidies than no government support at all for the arts.

Maeve Binchy had more book sales than the total of the combined membership of Aosdana.In her spirit she was nearer to Dickens than any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by skiii View Post
    Maeve Binchy had more book sales than the total of the combined membership of Aosdana.In her spirit she was nearer to Dickens than any of them.
    The day we measure a writer's full worth in terms of sales alone is the day literature will finally die.

As for the Dickens comparison, I prefer not to speak ill of the so recently dead.

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    The day we measure a writer's full worth in terms of sales alone is the day literature will finally die.

As for the Dickens comparison, I prefer not to speak ill of the so recently dead.
    What a snob you are! I said 'the spirit of Dickens'. Nor would I advocate sales as the only criterion a writer's worth but they are surely an indication of connectedness.

What a snob you are! I said 'the spirit of Dickens'. Nor would I advocate sales as the only criterion a writer's worth but they are surely an indication of connectedness.
    I can't bear Dickens; my little (failed) joke was that the comparison constituted speaking ill of Binchy.

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    I can't bear Dickens; my little (failed) joke was that the comparison constituted speaking ill of Binchy.
    You got me there.

You got me there.
    I should have been clearer.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment