Register to Comment
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    I'm surprised that it's still going, and I'm pleased in a way.

Whenever I visit home I wade through the publications such as this and the St Anthony crp and sometimes find something interesting in them (they're kept in the bathroom and provide a wonderful sort of readable enema but they sometimes have items of interest. Practically no-one of my acquaintance who gets these magazines recognises any article I cite to them in conversation.

I wish I'd kept my copies of Boys' Own.
    Even with the pages stuck together like that?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Precisely, I'm not criticising it, merely wondering how it has endured directly because it hasn't changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Socratus O' Pericles View Post
    Well FVT Tralee this must be serendipity or at least a coincidence i was only today trying to explain to one of my kids what exactly Irelands own was and how popular it was. One of my memories is that there was a page of jokes in it which were clerical in nature telling amusing anecdotes of what small children said to the pp in their innocence e.g. having many wives is polygamy,having only one is monotony and the like. Very surprised to hear it is still on the go. I wonder is the st martin magazine still also on the go?
    It is. I remember when it was called the Blessed Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Socratus O' Pericles View Post
    I don't think anyone wants it closed ,it is a cultural phenomenon and i for one am all for it.
    It's certainly a valuable social history recording the struggles to maintain an ideology.

It has huge value in that context.

It's like Coronation Street. Unwatachable for many people, but it still is a valuable social document. People will pore over its mores for many years in the future. They've started already.

What's wrong with it? Its nostalgic but its also fairly topical. If it speaks of an almost by gone age it does so with affection. I don't buy it regularly but I do buy it, which is more than I do any of the more trendy, busier magazines.

The Lonely Hearts one was always a good read. We had a lady living in sheltered accommodation near us. She sent a Cavan farmer a picture of her in her heyday when she was a stunner and dated a politician who is still a household name (80+). He came down to see the biggest heifer Ireland's four green fields ever had since the Tain. He fled back to the half Acre quicker than King James' retreat from the Boyne.

Ireland's Own will probably fold in time for 2016 when Islam will rule. The last holdout Catholics will be able to read about our colourful characters: Pinkshirt Wallace from over the road, Blueshirt Hogan from over the hill and Bertie Thanks for de digout Ahern, the highwayman they couldn't catch. He's be right up there with that Cork chick who hit paydirt in Paraguay 300 years ago.

An even better publication is the Holly Bough which comes out every Christmas in Cork. Great old stories.

That and the old moores almanac. I love how utterly wrong the predictions always are plus it's dead handy to get the mart dates

Quote Originally Posted by mary_queen_of_the_gael View Post
    The Lonely Hearts one was always a good read. We had a lady living in sheltered accommodation near us. She sent a Cavan farmer a picture of her in her heyday when she was a stunner and dated a politician who is still a household name (80+). He came down to see the biggest heifer Ireland's four green fields ever had since the Tain. He fled back to the half Acre quicker than King James' retreat from the Boyne.

Ireland's Own will probably fold in time for 2016 when Islam will rule. The last holdout Catholics will be able to read about our colourful characters: Pinkshirt Wallace from over the road, Blueshirt Hogan from over the hill and Bertie Thanks for de digout Ahern, the highwayman they couldn't catch. He's be right up there with that Cork chick who hit paydirt in Paraguay 300 years ago.

Very good thread. My mother still buys it, but heck, it's hard going...

The Lonely Hearts was priceless when I was a kid "Gemini Calling: lonely farmer's daughter wishes to meet N.T, strict non-smoking and TT, with view to friendship, dancing and eventual marriage.."

"Bachelor Boy: Farmer with own holding, 40 acres arable land and some stock plus tillage, daily Communicant, would like to meet Catholic girl of rural background, must be strict TT and non-smoker...."

The "TT" was of course Teetotaler (non-drinker). The "NT" was National Teacher....

It is a snapshot in time--- an historical record of a totally different Ireland, but within my living memory...

MQotG

Mentioned the lonely hearts part and the advertisers' style of writing.

It did occur to me how would Ivana Bacick (whom I'm sure is happy in a relationship) or oneof her accolytes would advertise in lonely hearts in Ireland's Own.

Any suggestions?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment