Register to Comment
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalShariah View Post
    Rather than protecting filthy drunkards they should be protecting society from the likes of such people. Maybe we'll set up a Muslim group that protects decent individuals from drunks, whores and their likes!
    Yeah, whatever Liam!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Arm the Street Pastors. A crucifix in one hand and a gun in the other. The combined threat of eternal damnation and summary justice should bring the criminal fraternity to heel.

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post

Basically, they are a religious group who are non-denominational and seek to ensure the safety of the public at night who may be drunk or vulnerable.

I have conflicted thoughts of their initiative. Yes, it is a good thing that they are doing and it is nice to know there is a large watchful presence on the streets at night. However, one wonders is there an alternative agenda, being a religious group. Time will tell.
    Without knowing much about these Street Pastors beyond what I've read here, is there much difference in principle between them and the likes of St John Ambulance? The latter is explicitly religious and no one has a problem with them.

There are usually a handful (at most) of (usually) eldlerly men in Dublin's Grafton Street on weekend nights holding up placards with 'John 3:16' and the like on them, obviously trying (and mostly failing, by the looks of it) to spread the Word to heathen revellers, I'm guessing these Street Pastors are more of the hands-on type?

Quote Originally Posted by MrFunkyBoogaloo View Post
    Don't like the whole religion bit because it seems to me like an excuse to proselytise. But even if that were true credit where it's due. Fair play to them. If people feel safer on the streets solely because of their presence then it's a job well done.
    Nothing stopping a group of atheists doing the same thing and whispering in the drunks ear "there is no God".
    You can't have it both ways with Christians - you want us to carry on doing good works but don't want us to mention why we are doing it.
    They're not actually "policing" the streets, just helping people who have over embibbed to get home safely.

It's a free world - if people don't want to listen to their views on religion they don't have to. Live and let live I say.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    Fair play to then says I.
    I knew it. Its an OO front. They'll get drunks and junkies to sign up and then boast of an increase in membership. I can just see an OO march of winos and junkies through Cork. It'll be like Belfast.

Is nowhere safe from religion?

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    Is nowhere safe from religion?
    Safe enough inside a chapel ......

I'll get me coat .......

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalShariah View Post
    Rather than protecting filthy drunkards they should be protecting society from the likes of such people. Maybe we'll set up a Muslim group that protects decent individuals from drunks, whores and their likes!
    You do realise that the word group means more than one? The Mujahadeen in your head don't actually count.

Quote Originally Posted by Fides View Post
    Nothing stopping a group of atheists doing the same thing and whispering in the drunks ear "there is no God".
    You can't have it both ways with Christians - you want us to carry on doing good works but don't want us to mention why we are doing it.
    They're not actually "policing" the streets, just helping people who have over embibbed to get home safely.
    I certainly don't, I couldn't care less what you do. It is typical of religious types to be full of self importance. What about your bad works?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment