Register to Comment
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Tea Party Patriot View Post
    Maybe because they are doing it because of their religious beliefs, things like charity, helping your fellow man, loving your neighbour?
    Fair enough. But I contend that you don't have to be Religious to '' things like charity, helping your fellow man, loving your neighbour''.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    Fair enough. But I contend that you don't have to be Religious to '' things like charity, helping your fellow man, loving your neighbour''.
    I didn't say you have to be, but if religion is their motivation for it, which would clearly seem to be the case then I don't see what the problem is. There is nothing stopping people establishing their own secular versions if they do not like the religious aspect.

Whilst out in Cork last night, one could not miss a new presence in the streets. Small groups of people patrolling the streets in uniform. They were 'Street Pastors'.
    Having never heard of them before, I googled them today to find out more.
    Here's the main website: Street Pastors
    And here is the local Cork Branch, the only one in the country it seems: Cork Street Pastors

Basically, they are a religious group who are non-denominational and seek to ensure the safety of the public at night who may be drunk or vulnerable.

I have conflicted thoughts of their initiative. Yes, it is a good thing that they are doing and it is nice to know there is a large watchful presence on the streets at night. However, one wonders is there an alternative agenda, being a religious group. Time will tell.

Perhaps if the Street Pastors take off like they have in the UK, they will make our streets safer at night. Which is always a good thing.

I'll leave it to the board to discuss this new presence in our streets.

Good for them. If there is a speech to be made or a protest march, there are plenty of do gooder middle class liberals to be found. Don't ever see any of these liberal secular types on the frontline like these street pastors.
    Last edited by ne0ica; 15th July 2012 at 04:13 PM.

Well when a group sets up to patrol the streets and ties in Religion instead of a devotion to the local community just, one wonders why.
    There is no god but Shandon bell and Roy Keane is its prophet??

They're common enough around Liverpool. Fair play to them, they seem like genuinely good people, there to offer people a helping hand if things get a little out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by mary_queen_of_the_gael View Post
    There is no god but Shandon bell and Roy Keane is its prophet??
    The four faced Liar boi. Like the four Gospels...

Imagine we PAY for Gardaí to keep the streets safe and they refuse to do it. It takes volunteers.

Good for them, although I've never felt unsafe at night in Cork (Dublin and Limerick, not so much).

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    Good for them, although I've never felt unsafe at night in Cork (Dublin and Limerick, not so much).
    Obviously never been outside HillBillies on Grand Parade at 3am!

Indeed you don't and as Ireland becomes more secular I look forward to seeing secular groups making their own impact. In the meantime those of us who are religious will carry on doing what we're doing out of Christian conviction and concern for our neighbour.

I know young people who have gone to Ibiza to get involved with helping young drunk holidaymakers
    A Helping Hand

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment