Register to Comment
Page 1 of 54 123 11 51 ... LastLast
Like Tree171Likes

Dull Boys Wanted - The Uncreative Irish

Interesting article from Desmond Fennell in the IT today on the dullness and derivate nature of Irish thought

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...319176098.html

In it Fennell says;

'In 1972 Prof SeŠn ” Tuama of University College Cork, in a Thomas Davis lecture on The Gaelic League Idea, said: “In business, science, engineering, architecture, medicine, industry, law, home-making, agriculture, education, politics and administration – from economic planning to PAYE, from town planning to traffic laws – the bulk of our thinking is derivative.

“One doubts if we have added anything of real importance to sociological or theological, philosophic or aesthetic thought.” '

Forty years later that remains substantially true...'

I have to say, I agree with Fennell in this and I marvel how the Irish manage to maintain for themselves the illusion that they are an exceptionally creative race - probably by excluding voices like Desmond Fennell from public life.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?
    Last edited by Humbert; 2nd July 2012 at 07:50 PM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Another "beat the Irish to keep them down" thread I see.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbert View Post
    Interesting article from Desmond Fennell in the IT today on the dullness and derivate nature of Irish thought - in it he says;

'In 1972 Prof SeŠn ” Tuama of University College Cork, in a Thomas Davis lecture on The Gaelic League Idea, said: “In business, science, engineering, architecture, medicine, industry, law, home-making, agriculture, education, politics and administration – from economic planning to PAYE, from town planning to traffic laws – the bulk of our thinking is derivative.

“One doubts if we have added anything of real importance to sociological or theological, philosophic or aesthetic thought.” '

I have to say, I agree with Fennell in this and I marvel how the Irish manage to maintain for themselves the illusion for themselves that they are a creative race - probably by excluding voices like Desmond Fennell from public life.

Sounds like Desmond Fennell producing another unoriginal and derivative newspaper article to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Deaf Mute View Post
    Anything to contribute to the actually issue in hand or will you just be throwing handfuls of muck? Fennell is an extremely intelligent and erudite man and I for one find his arguments persuasive - as do a lot of other people.

If you wish to counter him put up your argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Deaf Mute View Post
    You have to admit that there is not shortage of ammunition for that!

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    Sounds like Desmond Fennell producing another unoriginal and derivative newspaper article to me.
    I was going to put it in OP that I expected that kind of response but to business - do you disagree with any of his arguments and if so how?

Play the ball now, not the man.

I dare say that you wouldn't have found SeŠn ” Tuama's solution to the problem particularly appealing.

Anything to contribute to the actually issue in hand or will you just be throwing handfuls of muck? Fennell is an extremely intelligent and erudite man and I for one find his arguments persuasive - as do a lot of other people.

If you wish to counter him put up your argument.
    After hours of searching for something for a "beat the Irish to keep them down" thread, you must have wet yourself with excitement when you dug this nugget up.

Interesting article from Desmond Fennell in the IT today on the dullness and derivate nature of Irish thought - in it he says;

I have to say, I agree with Fennell in this and I marvel how the Irish manage to maintain for themselves the illusion for themselves that they are a creative race - probably by excluding voices like Desmond Fennell from public life.

Ireland is a Volksgemeinschaft and a society in which connectedness is all.
    Creativity is an act of rebellion and Ireland is profoundly conservative and offers a clearly laid set of ways to 'play the game'.
    Also the bulk of thinking in most societies is derivative.

I was going to put it in OP that I expected that kind of response but to business - do you disagree with any of his arguments and if so how?

Play the ball now, not the man.
    'Nations' are sets of individuals when it comes to thinking, not hive minds, and a handful of individual in any given generation produce genuinely unique ideas. It would be true to say that “In business, science, engineering, architecture, medicine, industry, law, home-making, agriculture, education, politics and administration – from economic planning to PAYE, from town planning to traffic law's – the bulk of human thinking is derivative.

The Irish 'nation', or rather the people who have inhabited the island we call Ireland, produced Johannes Scotus Eriugena,George Berkeley, Robert Boyle, John Toland, William Rowan Hamilton, Ernest Walton, W.B. Yeats, James Joyce, J.M. Synge, Sean O'Casey and Sam Beckett. Not a bad list from the top of my head.

Page 1 of 54 123 11 51 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment