Register to Comment
Page 1 of 15 123 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Political Correctness white washing the past?

I read this and can't quite make my mind up on whether I agree with the actions taken or not. On the one hand I can completely see how the lyrics may cause offense - but on the other - I'm not sure I feel comfortable with tweaking our poetry, music or literature to suit a current view. Anyone else feel strongly either way?

Canadian radio bans ‘anti-gay’ Dire Straits song - PinkNews.co.uk
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I cannot abide by bleeping out certain words in music I hate when I hear a song on the radio and it has beeps every few seconds.
    I don't think any song should be outright banned I think it should be up to each station to decide whether or not a song is appropriate for who they see their audience to be and people can be free to put in complaints about it if they wish.
    Is the song homophobic? I don't know. There are lots of songs with possibly homophobic lyrics but I think it's the intent behind them more so than the actually language.

should leave well enough alone. Was it Enid Blyton's work an example of "literature" thats been "moderanised" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Happytolearn View Post
    I read this and can't quite make my mind up on whether I agree with the actions taken or not. On the one hand I can completely see how the lyrics may cause offense - but on the other - I'm not sure I feel comfortable with tweaking our poetry, music or literature to suit a current view. Anyone else feel strongly either way?

Canadian radio bans ‘anti-gay’ Dire Straits song - PinkNews.co.uk
    No easy answer there.

We encounter literature, music etc. in full possession of the sensibilities and taboos of our own time. We are where we are, as they say.

Every era has its Great Big No No which might not have been looked on so harshly in other days....The Great Big No Nos of our era include racism and anything that might have a whiff of underage sex or child abuse...

One example: Schools rarely study Huckleberry Finn any more---although the novel was on every school syllabus when I started teaching---because nowadays teachers are uncomfortable saying the name of one of its central characters--Jim The N1gger

The scientist Steve Pinker in a book on human progress said that Political Correctness was initially good in that it enforced a level of respect and forced people to think about hurtful stereotyping e.g. I think few people think monkey chants at black soccer players are acceptable in this day and age.

However, he think the PC is now in its "degenerate stage" and plain commonsense will kick in to decide what is and what is not acceptable in speech or text, though not back at the level of the 1970s or even 1980s.

I think banning this (great) song in a step too far. Would Irish people be offended by a radio station playing the Dubliners "Paddy on the Railway"?

Quote Originally Posted by gatsbygirl20 View Post
    No easy answer there.

We encounter literature, music etc. in full possession of the sensibilities and taboos of our own time. We are where we are, as they say.

Every era has its Great Big No No which might not have been looked on so harshly in other days....The Great Big No Nos of our era include racism and anything that might have a whiff of underage sex or child abuse...

One example: Schools rarely study Huckleberry Finn any more---although the novel was on every school syllabus when I started teaching---because nowadays teachers are uncomfortable saying the name of one of its central characters--Jim The N1gger
    That's a good example - I can understand their discomfort .. Perhaps it will just take a few generations of increasing equality for that phrase to lose its power. It seems such a shame for the book to become a no go. I have this debate with myself every christmas when they play 'Fairytale of New York' - love the song and can understand the context in which they say faggot - but still worry that it might perpetuate negativity toward gay people. I think I'm definitely more on the side of leaving things be

Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    The scientist Steve Pinker in a book on human progress said that Political Correctness was initially good in that it enforced a level of respect and forced people to think about hurtful stereotyping e.g. I think few people think monkey chants at black soccer players are acceptable in this day and age.

However, he think the PC is now in its "degenerate stage" and plain commonsense will kick in to decide what is and what is not acceptable in speech or text, though not back at the level of the 1970s or even 1980s.

I think banning this (great) song in a step too far. Would Irish people be offended by a radio station playing the Dubliners "Paddy on the Railway"?
    I agree with that owedtojoy - Political correctness seems to have afforded minorities breathing space for their movements to gain strength and momentum.

It seems the Canadians don't object to the other line in the song that refers to "banging on the bongos like a chimpanzee".

Personally I think it's a slippery slope of censorship that should be avoided. If you don't like the lyrics on a song on the radio, then switch to another channel.

Quote Originally Posted by gatsbygirl20 View Post
    No easy answer there.

I was about to mention that book.

Another example is the film 'Dambusters' (1953-ish). One of the pilot has a dog called 'n1gger'.

Its a bit odd to watch, TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister Mercedes View Post
    It seems the Canadians don't object to the other line in the song that refers to "banging on the bongos like a chimpanzee".

Personally I think it's a slippery slope of censorship that should be avoided. If you don't like the lyrics on a song on the radio, then switch to another channel.
    That sort of argument is wildly simplistic.

Page 1 of 15 123 11 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment