Register to Comment
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Quote Originally Posted by walrusgumble View Post
    Well, if enough people stand up to this minority ************************s and are shown the door, it will be happy Christmas or what ever term you wish to use. ************************ them ************************ the lot of them , insensitive twats, our house our rules, our bloody holidays. Oh, what should the Western Christian now call Ramadan? (or any other festival)
    You should be worried that this is the sort of thing which agitates you.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

The irony being that Dire Straits were such a bunch of...what's the word..."mothers" themselves.

Soft rock for the yuppie. Marginally edgier than Phil Collins. That radio station is doing music a service.

Quote Originally Posted by Protestant/Catholic=Irish View Post
    Never heard the song before but purely from my understanding of the article they are right to ban the song.

Homophobia is wrong. Doesn't matter when the song was written, it is wrong.
    To put the issue in a different context, would it be wrong to make a movie about a young homosexual person who encounters prejudice in their life and has a nasty antagonist who persecutes the hero, bullies them and continuously calls them a 'fag', 'homo' or 'queer'?

By your definition we cannot make this movie as the antagonist is homophobic? If we follow this line of logic we cannot watch movies about apartheid in South Africa for the racism, we cannot watch movies about the holocaust either. Or perhaps we should heavily edit them to ensure absolutely no one is offended (or entertained either) by the context. We could go one step further and start to ban certain expressions like 'black sheep' or 'black mood' as it might be suggesting that black people are 'bad'.

Art cannot be subject to censorship and remain true.

The song is telling a story about peoples perceptions of musicians. The song would not work if the character said 'look at that miniscule homosexual person' instead of 'look at that'little faggot'. I guess some people just don't understand art and where it comes from nor do they think things through clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by NewGoldDream View Post
    The irony being that Dire Straits were such a bunch of...what's the word..."mothers" themselves.

Soft rock for the yuppie. Marginally edgier than Phil Collins. That radio station is doing music a service.
    Jesus - you Vote FF, you think Johnny Cash is rubbish and you think The Room is legendary......did you have your discernment amputated at a young age?

Dire Straits are vastly superior to 95% of music today, including our own over hyped U2 who havent released a good Album since the 80's.

If Gays are complaining about words like ''faggot'' then what the feck is Gay pride about and whats the point of it.

Quote Originally Posted by The OD View Post
    Jesus - you Vote FF, you think Johnny Cash is rubbish and you think The Room is legendary......did you have your discernment amputated at a young age?

Dire Straits are vastly superior to 95% of music today, including our own over hyped U2 who havent released a good Album since the 80's.

Sorry, by the Room being legendary I meant everyone knows it! Its well known because it is so bad. It is now taking on a life of its own, sort of like the Rocky Horror Picture Show nonsense.

As for Cash and DS, awful awful dirge. One couldn't sing, the others churned out soft rock for middle aged yuppies in the 80s who liked hours of fellows noodling on guitars. The Walk of Life was possibly one of the worst songs ever, replete with keyboard playing that sounds like a casio at a carnival, with a video that was just as bad. They were nearly as bad as The Eagles, who were the musical equivalent of moist toilet paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegebhoy View Post
    What I find amazing (and if I was Mark Knopfler, be offended) is the number of people on this thread who are offended/passing judgement on a song they are not aware of, or prepared even to research. One of my favourite songs by the way.
    I've definitely reconsidered my view somewhat - I hadn't considered the context of the song fully. At the same time I think it's fair to keep in mind that regardless of the context in which the slur is used (be it racial, gender based or otherwise) - the very use of the word can cause varying amounts of distress to a member of the said minority. Someone who has experienced homophobic bullying is likely to feel more sensitive about hearing the term 'faggot' on the radio. I stand on the side of freedom of expression yet I have an issue with wantonly offending minorities - that said I understand it is impossible to make sure that no one is offended - hence I don't know what the f*ck to think. Sometimes the fense is the most comfortable place to be.

Quote Originally Posted by walrusgumble View Post
    It does not agitate me, I will continue doing what I am doing, and no little ************************ minority group will stop me, so long as I do not set out to harm them.

I just find it ridiculous how what are Christian Holidays (Easter and Christmas) could be required to change its name, yet we would probably have a jihad thrown at us if someone uttered the notion that we think Ramadan should not be practiced. (an Example)
    Easter and Christmas are not changing their names. Not again, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by fionnmccool View Post
    If Gays are complaining about words like ''faggot'' then what the feck is Gay pride about and whats the point of it.
    Part of it is about not calling gays "faggots"?

Lookit, in Canada on TV and radio they bleep out the N word from rap songs. You can't even watch/listen to BET in peace.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment