Register to Comment
Page 59 of 83 FirstFirst ... 9 495758596061 69 ... LastLast
Like Tree527Likes

Quote Originally Posted by rainmaker View Post
    'Irish' is a persons nationality, not their race. What you're attempting to refer to is xenophobia.

But if the poster is actually Irish, it would be hard to accuse them of being xenophobic toward themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Astral Peaks View Post
    Don't worry, Catalpa will have a good bash at it anyway!
    Quote Originally Posted by rainmaker View Post
    I had a feeling he's that type
    Quote Originally Posted by Catalpa View Post
    Sadly self loathing about being Irish is a common feature on this Site ....
    Whoooosssshhhhhhhh...............
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelR View Post
    Not correct re Stamp 4. After 5 years on Stamp 1 one gets Stamp 4 automatically by the current system - no need to wait for LTR. And after two years on Green Card one does get Stamp 4.

But a Green Card is not easy to get. You have to be either quite well educated in specific areas, or have a job paying 60k+.

Also, Zambrano does not apply to all children born in Ireland but only to children granted Irish citizenship. By current law, this means at least one of the parents must have been in the country legally (and not for study) for 3 years.

Other than a Green Card or Zambrano or marriage, a non-EU employment permit holder does have to spend 5 years on Stamp 1 to get Stamp 4. Which is, really, quite fair enough, and I say that as someone who did spend the 5 years on Stamp 1.

The unfair part is that the spouse does not get Stamp 4 even after the 5 years, and has to stay home or apply for permits (thus excluding part-time jobs or small contracts) all the way until citizenship (or birth of a child who is an Irish citizen - then Zambrano applies).

P.S. To Mitsui2: neither. It's jam. Shock, horror!
    Green cards are routinely being issued for jobs carrying salaries under €60K+, particularly in the IT sector.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelR View Post
    The age limit, as noted, is for insurance purposes, so I suspect this is clear enough. The "russian" with a small r means the ad was written by a Russian speaker (in Russian we don't capitalize language names).

But there is no need to look at "people working illegally" or "students". There is a significant amount of native Russian speakers who are citizens of Baltic states and live here legally as EU citizens - I know some personally. True polyglots, these people - they have Russian, English, AND Latvian or Estonian (required for the citizenship test in their country; they often take the test with an explicit view to emigrate). Because of the polyglot families, I hear their children tend to excel at Irish in school - for them it's "just another language".

Also there is a number of people (mostly from Ukraine and Belarus, some from Russia too) who arrived before 2004 when permit rules were much laxer; they have citizenship or long term residency now.

I take your point about Russian speaking citizens of some EU States, however, as you point out they tend to be multi-lingual, I also have a problem with someone who has been living here for long enough to have been granted LTR or citizenship but still cannot communicate in English.

With regard to the age and the car insurance issue, I still have doubts about the legality of the age clause, I vaguely remember a case of this nature at the Equality Tribunal, I will see if I can find it on the database. I think there would also be an issue with an employer requiring an employee to provide essential safety equipment.

After 5 years on permits it becomes a processing time game. LTR takes several months to be processed; citizenship, until recent changes, 2+ years (appears to be closer to a year now). The "automatic yearly" stamp 4 was introduced so that people don't have to get yet another permit while waiting for LTR to be processed. Unlike LTR, this stamp is done quickly at the local office, just like a permit-based Stamp 1 (and, more recently, a Zambrano Stamp 4).

Alan Shatter has pledged a reduction of processing time for citizenship to 6 months. If this happens, it might make LTR obsolete for most cases, and therefore also remove the issue with spouses on LTR and their need for permits.

WCATT (I think it's Stamp 5) is a different animal entirely and requires all of 8 years. It is a solution for those not applying or citizenship, or perhaps refused citizenship for reasons not sufficing to show them the door entirely.

P.S. Thanks for mentioning the McDowell quote - if the joke is getting old it wouldn't be funny. Better stick to the official list

when I said "you" it was intended to ask you personally.
    And when answered, you reply:

None of my business, I have no interest in your personal status

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalShariah View Post
    Source

You've nothing to fear from Muslim immigration
    Liar.

Some Muslims immigrated to Britain and the USA and then decided on the basis of their religious beliefs to cold bloodedly murder thousands of their citizens.

- consider it like medicine, may taste bitter in the beginning but in the end the benefit is unquestionable.
    What gives you the right to enter any society and force your vile backward and murderous customs on them.

Source

You've nothing to fear from Muslim immigration - consider it like medicine, may taste bitter in the beginning but in the end the benefit is unquestionable.
    I live in England and neither your dawa nor your Daral al Islam benefits anyone except your perverted, violent followers.

DigitalSavageShariah and Der Field Mouse in a head to head.................

*gets popcorn*

The right is Divine, the order is clear and victory will be soon

My God is better than your God!!

My God would kick your God's head in!!

The right is Divine, the order is clear and victory will be soon
    You have no divine right whatever.

The caricature and travesty of a divinity you invoke was invented by Mohamed .

It is therefore false and does not represent the true God..

The murderous people you represent are reviled around the world.

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment