Register to Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Non-religious funerals

There are an increasing number of Irish people describing themselves as non-religious. For many people this has no great bearing on the traditional rites of passage since they will still frequently get married in a Church, have their children baptised and have a religious funeral.

However, for a lot of people they are strong in their non-religious convictions, yes there seems to be nothing to cater for this in terms of rites of passage, for sure there is a civil ceremony for marriage but what about funerals? I know we've had secular funerals in the past in Ireland, but do people think there will be an increasing business for non-religious funerals. Communities need rituals to mark important events in life, what form will these take?

What plans to the secularists on this site have for their passing from this world if any?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Such events can be held at crematoriums and the like surely?

Some funerals directors that have coped on that there is money is this, provide the service.

You planning a new business or something?
    I've heard of non religious burials in Britain where a tree is planted over your burial site and your body presumably helps it grow. Though that's probably more for nature lovers rather than aiming at people who don't want religion to be involved in their death.
    I havn't heard of anything in Ireland although if you look you will probably find.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmythy
    You planning a new business or something?
    I've heard of non religious burials in Britain where a tree is planted over your burial site and your body presumably helps it grow. Though that's probably more for nature lovers rather than aiming at people who don't want religion to be involved in their death.
    I havn't heard of anything in Ireland although if you look you will probably find.
    Well, if there's a few bob in it I'll be in to it...

To get more info

I came accross two guys in the Irish Humanist Scene calle d

David Alvey and Dick Spicier. They give adivce on such matters.

They have got a publication called Hersiarch and you can find it

if you google and some related sites.

it's interesting. i think the thought of dying foccuses the mind with regard to religious belief... i used to think i didn't believe in god, and often struggle with the issue. i hate what church stands for, particularly with regard to homophobia etc. however, when i think of dying, i have to say i'd like the tradional funeral. same with marriage. many of my friends think they don't believe, then when it comes to get hitched, they want the church wedding. i was at a humanist funeral recently, and thought it bizzarre. it had all the trappings of a religious funeral, but with no mention of god.

Re: Non-religious funerals

Quote Originally Posted by dubsthcentralboy
    There are an increasing number of Irish people describing themselves as non-religious. For many people this has no great bearing on the traditional rites of passage since they will still frequently get married in a Church, have their children baptised and have a religious funeral.

However, for a lot of people they are strong in their non-religious convictions, yes there seems to be nothing to cater for this in terms of rites of passage, for sure there is a civil ceremony for marriage but what about funerals? I know we've had secular funerals in the past in Ireland, but do people think there will be an increasing business for non-religious funerals. Communities need rituals to mark important events in life, what form will these take?

What plans to the secularists on this site have for their passing from this world if any?
    Once again, a secularist can be religious. The term atheist and secularist are not interchangable.

Anyway, I'm donating every organ I can, and then the rest of my body to medical research if it's suitable. If it isn't then cremation is the way for me. As far as the ceremony goes it's something I've put a little bit of thought into recently, some music, some readings, etc.

http://www.humanism.ie/cere.html

Quote Originally Posted by caminoed
    it's interesting. i think the thought of dying foccuses the mind with regard to religious belief... i used to think i didn't believe in god, and often struggle with the issue. i hate what church stands for, particularly with regard to homophobia etc. however, when i think of dying, i have to say i'd like the tradional funeral. same with marriage.
    Because you are afraid of death?

many of my friends think they don't believe, then when it comes to get hitched, they want the church wedding.
    A lot don't believe, but, until recently, there was very little alternative for a nice ceremony, and there are many other pressures coming up to a wedding so sometimes, to avoud further family hassle, the church is the easiest way to go.

i was at a humanist funeral recently, and thought it bizzarre. it had all the trappings of a religious funeral, but with no mention of god.
    What was bizzare about that? Surely the person who should be mentioned and celebrated should be the deceased and not God?

P.S. Using captial letters is not a crime.

I was at a funeral in England four years ago as a good friend of mine died in a car-crash. He was a devout atheist, if one can say so. He was cremated.

The funeral was conducted by some young girl, a humanist or something, it had all other aspects of an ordinary funeral but there were not any religious bits attached to it.

It took place at the Golders Green cemetary in North-London which must be the largest cemetary in London. It really struck me how many different funerals were going on at the same time. London is a big city so there are a lot of people dying as well all the time.

Haven´t been to England ever since. It somehow feels like that there is no England any more because that friend of mine whom I always associated with England is no more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment