Register to Comment
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Irish Pride

The ad in the following clip portrays some of the less attractive aspects of Irish culture.

http://www.irishpride.ie/news/hero.asp

What makes you proud to be Irish? What would make you proud to be Irish? And what have we got to be proud of?

I'm proud that our hardworking emigrants have built most of the UK and much of the US.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Re: Irish Pride

Quote Originally Posted by HanleyS
    The ad in the following clip portrays some of the less attractive aspects of Irish culture.

http://www.irishpride.ie/news/hero.asp

What makes you proud to be Irish?
    The bread I eat. It is called 'Irish Pride'.

Where do you start? Irish music and dancing, GAA and the culture in general. And the massive effect such a small country has had on the world.

Quote Originally Posted by joel
    Where do you start? Irish music and dancing, GAA and the culture in general. And the massive effect such a small country has had on the world.
    Irish music?

Ok, I'll give you the dancing. Everybody likes Riverdance.

GAA, come off it.

Culture in general. You mean greed?

How much of that is relevant to your average Irish person? Would these things be the envy of other nations?

What do other countries have to be proud of? Why is there such a sense of patriotism in countries like the US and France that we don't?

How much of that is relevant to your average Irish person? Would these things be the envy of other nations?

What do other countries have to be proud of? Why is there such a sense of patriotism in countries like the US and France that we don't?
    Self hatred? People swayed by Irish-haters?

i detect very little pride and a seething amount of self hatred , manifesting itself either through the Harrises of this world and their ilk or in the appalling drink and drugs chav culture and its mindless violence. The GAA seems to be the only public arena were Irish pride and patriotism can be publicly expressed and experienced, probably why its hated to the core by the agenda setters .

Quote Originally Posted by merle haggard
    i detect very little pride and a seething amount of self hatred , manifesting itself either through the Harrises of this world and their ilk or in the appalling drink and drugs chav culture and its mindless violence. The GAA seems to be the only public arena were Irish pride and patriotism can be publicly expressed and experienced, probably why its hated to the core by the agenda setters .
    Yes, you're right. I think the only way to satisfy the "agenda setters" is for Ireland to become part of the UK, with the Queen as head of state - and decisions made in Westminster. Oh, and Gaelic would be banned, as would all non-approved history.

Things that make me proud to be Irish:

Cumann Lúthchleas Gael...The GAA is a phenomenal organisation,

Irish Contribution to the Arts i.e U2, W.B Yeats, Heany, Joyce etc,

Our thriving Economy,

The Irish Language,

Celtic Football Club,

Having the Craic...Irish people's ability to have a laugh!

Those who fought for this Nations freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by merle haggard
    The GAA seems to be the only public arena were Irish pride and patriotism can be publicly expressed and experienced, probably why its hated to the core by the agenda setters .
    I agree, the GAA seems to be the major part of our culture in Ireland. It's probably the thing that unites us all most.
    Self hatred? People swayed by Irish-haters?
    Why would French or US nationals be proud of those things?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie55
    Things that make me proud to be Irish:

Cumann Lúthchleas Gael...The GAA is a phenomenal organisation,
    Yep.
    Irish Contribution to the Arts i.e U2, W.B Yeats, Heany, Joyce etc,
    Yep.
    Our thriving Economy,
    A property boom does not an economy make. This will be a source of embarassment in years to come.
    The Irish Language,
    Unfortunately it's dead. Funny that for the Welsh the revitalisation of their language is an important part of their culture. Who has the defibrillator?
    Celtic Football Club,
    It's Scottish not Irish.
    Having the Craic...Irish people's ability to have a laugh!
    Used to be, and could still be. Unfortunately people have confused this with getting smacked off their faces on drink and drugs.
    Those who fought for this Nations freedom.
    Yep, even though it's historical and not current. I'm thinking in terms of where our ambtions should lie. What should Ireland do to make us proud of ourselves.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment