Register to Comment
Page 59 of 69 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast
Like Tree217Likes

Quote Originally Posted by shanieboy01 View Post
    Wherever Brian cowen was from
    Clara. Seems ok a place. The local auvtioneer is called err, Cowen.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Strange thread this.

Virtually every town and city in Ireland has been named on this thread. Which might lead somone to believe the whole of Ireland is a depressing kip. Maybo Eamo Dunphy was right?

It's silly to judge a place dreary and depressing from just driving through it once. Many of these towns and cities have festivals at different times of the year, particularly summer.

Galway is not a depressing place, it has got a lot to offer, but you make of it what you will.

Quote Originally Posted by anewbeginning View Post
    Strange thread this.

Virtually every town and city in Ireland has been named on this thread. Which might lead somone to believe the whole of Ireland is a depressing kip. Maybo Eamo Dunphy was right?

It's silly to judge a place dreary and depressing from just driving through it once. Many of these towns and cities have festivals at different times of the year, particularly summer.

Galway is not a depressing place, it has got a lot to offer, but you make of it what you will.
    Maybe I was being silly but I drove through Tuam once and it didn't instantly remind me of the Cote d'Azur - I often wonder why

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    Moate
    Moate is a grand little town, there's nothing pretentious about the place. It has plenty of shops, schools and pubs and the people are fairly friendly, a rarity in the midlands.

Quote Originally Posted by nationalsday View Post
    Maybe I was being silly but I drove through Tuam once and it didn't instantly remind me of the Cote d'Azur - I often wonder why
    It's because you don't live there, have no ties, family or friends there, know no-one there, and so on.

If you have no ties to a community, of course you aren't going to think its great. I always thought Tuam looked a lively town myself with a good buzz around it.

Anyways, what do people expect in small rural towns? An omniplex? A large shopping centre? A concert venue? Small villages are quiet by nature because there just isn't enough people to warrant entertainment. For that, people usually go to bigger towns.

The Urlingford Arms Hotel

If you have'nt been to Granard, please drive through it on a wet Wednesday afternoon.

It may save you racking your brains trying to decide on this subject.

It is an utter, utter, utter hole. I does not have a single redeeming feature. Grey skies, grey buildings, grey, unsmiling people. A sense of hopelessness and quiet despair.

"the tramp walked through every town in Ireland, but he ran through Granard"

Quote Originally Posted by anewbeginning View Post
    It's because you don't live there, have no ties, family or friends there, know no-one there, and so on.

If you have no ties to a community, of course you aren't going to think its great. I always thought Tuam looked a lively town myself with a good buzz around it.

Anyways, what do people expect in small rural towns? An omniplex? A large shopping centre? A concert venue? Small villages are quiet by nature because there just isn't enough people to warrant entertainment. For that, people usually go to bigger towns.
    Okay okay thanks for the philosophy - but what about Grenagh in Cork that's no beauty spot of a rainy Sunday affo. Anything with a G and an R in the same name seems to portend nastiness - Grangemockler, Gort, Graiguecullen...

Quote Originally Posted by Long Gone View Post
    Ballinasloe really Sucks.
    My wife and I took a boat on the river Shannon one summer.

A couple of days into our trip, whilst heading north, the weather turned bad. We noticed Ballinasloe on the map. It was closer than the town we had planned on visiting. As neither of us had been there before we decided that it might be a good town to moor in for the night.

So we changed course and headed up a tributary called the river "Suck" - no joke.

After a few hours on the river suck we reached what appeared to be a dead end. The river just seemed to stop; we were in Ballinasloe.

Now granted the weather was horrible, it was late in the evening and the sky was grey but what hit us immediately was the smell. At the edge of town there's a factory that produces dog food. Whatever the hell they're putting into it I don't know but the stench was vomit inducing. After a short walk from our mooring into the town, past some dodgey housing estates and several halting sites, we both felt as if we had arrived into the seventh cirlce of Hell!

The atmosphere of the place could only be described as hostile. The only people around were drunks and tinkers - the Gardai were arresting someone as we walked around the corner into the square.

We ate (in what I must say was a nice little pub/restaurant) and headed back to our boat as quick as we could.

We didn't feel one bit safe mooring there for the night so we decided to sail back down the river Suck, in the dark (which is not recommended and is completely illegal) all the way to Shannon Bridge, rather than stay there.

No town in Ireland has ever had that effect on me and I don't think I'll ever forget it!

i going against the thread and saying the best town in ireland is Dundalk

Page 59 of 69 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment