Register to Comment
Page 44 of 70 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 54 ... LastLast
Like Tree217Likes

Quote Originally Posted by gatsbygirl20 View Post
    Mooncoin.....what a lovely name....puts Nobber to shame...

Gort sounds like it should be depressing...but I was never there....

On the other hand I spent a day in Ballygar once.....unforgettable....
    Gort was an awful landmark as a child. We’d be going up to visit the godparents somewhere in Galway, and Gort was always the reminder that you had just passed the halfway point.

I only know it now from getting the bus to Galway. I don’t know if it was the Brazilian influence or not, but the town square is very pleasant looking with nicely painted shops and the like. But I’ll stop there for fear of making this thread too positive.

Just wiki-ed Ballygar… I know many towns and cities on wiki, Ireland and abroad, have a ‘Notable People’ section. Ballygar is the first time I’ve seen a section entitled ‘Famous Sons and Daughters’

Athea is one I've always wanted to visit.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by greykettle View Post
    Courtown deserves a mention. Used to be nice before they built a bazillion characterless holiday homes around it, converted the Beacon nightclub (the true heart of the community) into flats, closed the Bay View hotel and boarded up most of the shops on the main street. All that's left now is the hilariously extravagant Pirates Cove "adventure golf" course. Tremendously depressing!
    That's really sad.I used to holiday there as a kid in the 90s.It was beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister Mercedes View Post
    Greystones has a beautiful village. And the British left Dun Laoghaire in terrific shape. It was then ruined by the Irish building an awful shopping center in the middle of it, and introducing mindless one-way-traffic and parking restrictions. Bray is a charming place once you step away from the main street.
    I love to walk the pier in Dun Laoghaire & I had some really good times there. I agree about the shopping centres (there are now two), but these are where McDonalds and Iceland should have been housed, not the main street.

City=I'm going to be slaughtered for this but I think Galway city isn't all it's cracked up to be.Quite depressing outside of the main festival times.Despite having fewer scumbags than other cities it plays up to this vibrant image too much.Admittedly I'm biased because I'm from Galway.Dublin is a mixed bag.It has both extremes imv.Belfast at least has charecter as does Derry.Waterford was lovely years ago but have't been since the early 2000s.

Town=Tuam would be hard to beat but honourable mentions go to Bellmullet,Boyle and Ballinasloe.One thing in Tuam's favour is that there are fewer ghost estates than other towns of its size.However the Celtic Tiger pretty much bypassed it.I always thing a thesis about it's social problems would be fascinating.

Village=Dumore.Although some of the villages around the border that are littered with ghost estates wouldn't be far off it.It wins out for me because it's so grey.

I realise all my examples are from my home county.The grass is always greener I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by SeamusNapoleon View Post
    Gort was an awful landmark as a child. We’d be going up to visit the godparents somewhere in Galway, and Gort was always the reminder that you had just passed the halfway point.

I only know it now from getting the bus to Galway. I don’t know if it was the Brazilian influence or not, but the town square is very pleasant looking with nicely painted shops and the like. But I’ll stop there for fear of making this thread too positive.
    Gort used to have a great nightclub in Sullivans Hotel back in the 80s, a great place for fights and drinking. There was a real touch of the wild west about the place, I always had the feeling that there should have been horses tied up outside the pubs in the square.

Quote Originally Posted by Rural View Post
    I love to walk the pier in Dun Laoghaire & I had some really good times there. I agree about the shopping centres (there are now two), but these are where McDonalds and Iceland should have been housed, not the main street.
    I'm not as anti-McDonalds as other people here. If you're going to have a vibrant town center with cinemas, dancehalls etc, then people will also want convenient fast-food. I think the McDonald's in Bray is quite discreet in terms of its signage.

town = kells in county meath , has not changed one bit in the twenty years ive been visiting relatives unless you include several housing estates on the outskirts

village = clonmellon in westmeath , often drive through it while on the way to visit relatives in meath , never yet witnessed a live human being on main street

Quote Originally Posted by the_Observer View Post
    This thread brings me back to the forced Sunday afternoon family drives of the 1980s to some other empty depressing Irish town that was also shut tight because nothing opened on a Sunday during the 80s and all you wanted was to go back home to play the Commadore 64 or watch the Goonies on video and you still had homework to do for the 60 yr old alcoholic CBS priest who lost his faith twenty years ago but enjoyed slapping children to hear them cry. Grey. That was the 1980’s in Ireland. Everything overcast and covered in grey.

It was even worse in the 50s / 60s /70s.....You would be brought to some depressing "cafe" where you would be served Calvita cheese sandwiches and very hot Irel coffee poured from a bottle, while your mother---and indeed every passing adult woman---would keep slapping you gently on the hand and telling you to sit up straight in your plastic chair and have manners and say thank you to the scowling battleaxe who had flung this inedible repast down on the table with such ill grace....

Oh, Ireland of the welcomes...

When I was a child I used to look at those Bord Failte and Aer Lingus ads of glowing glasses of whiskey on antique tables beside great Georgian fireplaces, horses galloping over green paddocks, comely maidens serving wild salmon, venison and rare steaks off silver platters.....

And I used to think to myself: "Who the fukk do they think they're kidding?" (except we didn't say "fukk" in those days)

But guess what, Ireland now actually does look a lot like those ads....Bad it may be now, but it's still great by comparison..

city- londonderry-derry-doire

town- strabane

village-derrygonnelly

place-maze-long kesh

Tipperary town

Page 44 of 70 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 54 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment